Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Homasote building

Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in
his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape
with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain
angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building
was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for
many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across.
I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long
time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a
Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.

Clint

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 10:49 am, "clint" wrote:
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in
his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape
with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain
angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building
was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for
many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across.
I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long
time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a
Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.

You left off a question mark at the very end, Clint. A _most_ serious
transgression!

It sounds like a geodesic dome. Sift through these results - should
help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dome+homasote

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 10:49 am, "clint" wrote:
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels
in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made
in

It sounds like a geodesic dome. Sift through these results - should
help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dome+homasote

al la Buckminster Fuller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

....recall hearing and watching him talk about his geodesic domes in college
some gazillions years ago. :~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 9:19 pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 10:49 am, "clint" wrote:
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels
in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made
in

It sounds like a geodesic dome. Sift through these results - should
help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dome+homasote

al la Buckminster Fuller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

...recall hearing and watching him talk about his geodesic domes in college
some gazillions years ago. :~)

I remember a professor who worked with Bucky saying that a geodesic
dome is only good for two things - reading comic books and lying
down. He gave some mean-ass critiques!

Posted to rec.woodworking

clint,

I think that today instead of homosote, it would be built out of wood
framed panels with foam infilling. There are commercial modular wall
and roof panels made, not sure if there are directions for DIY.

Old Guy

On Dec 16, 9:49 am, "clint" wrote:
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in
his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape
with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain
angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building
was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for
many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across.
I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long
time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a
Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.

Clint

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:19:28 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 10:49 am, "clint" wrote:
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels
in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made
in

It sounds like a geodesic dome. Sift through these results - should
help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dome+homasote

al la Buckminster Fuller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

...recall hearing and watching him talk about his geodesic domes in college
some gazillions years ago. :~)

The Bucky dome is no longer on campus at SIU, it has been moved and
has been and still is under renovation.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 2Ob9j.2693$ZA4.557@trnddc03,
says...
Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in
his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape
with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain
angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building
was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for
many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across.
I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long
time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a
Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.

Clint

Some other grammar nazi mentioned the lack of a question mark. :-)

My Dad built a shed with homasote siding in 1964 or so. It is still
in my Mom's back yard, the homasote is badly rotted, but my Dad built an
industrial-grade roof that is still in pretty good shape. Mom wants us
(her children) to tear it down, but the roof is so good it's tempting
to re-side it with something else (T111?) The shed is about 6 x 8 feet,
2x4 frame, room enough for a couple of lawn mowers and lots of yard
tools. The squirrels tunnel through the homasote at will.

Depending on climate, you might get 30 years out of it (painted,
sheltered by a roof overhang.

--
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:49:18 +0000, clint wrote:

Many years ago I observed a friend making bolt-together building panels in
his workshop using a wood frame and homasote. All of the panels were made in
his workshop, including the roof panels. This building was circular in shape
with many panels bolted together. Each panel frame was mitered to a certain
angle so that when bolted together they formed a tight joint. The building
was erected on a concrete slab and was used as a small hunting lodge for
many years. It was approximately 25-30 feet across.
I have been searching for the plans for this type of a building for a long
time and have not been successful in finding them. I think they were in a
Popular Mechanics or that sort of magazine somewhere in the 1950's. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
This was my first posting to a news group. Did I do anything wrong.

Clint

I have some old FPL plans from the '70s that include plans for a round
home made mostly from plywood. Maybe 1200sf built on a slab.
Scott.

--
Registered linux user 451742

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the responses, but the building was not made of geodesic panels.
The panels were rectangular in shape and were set side by side and bolted
together to make a circular building. The panels were approximately 4 x 8
and some had windows.
Clint