Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PC 690 router base question

I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Thanks.

-Dipu
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It will cost less to buy the kit.

Lots of applications for both fixed and plunge base unit in hand held
mode.

Have fun.

Lets

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Thanks.

-Dipu

I have a table. It's not a great table,
but it works. You can make an
approximation of a table with a straight
piece of wood and two clamps. That will
certainly be enough to cut dadoes and
rabbets, at least for a few cuts.

I also have a jig that I use to cut
dadoes with that's simple to build and
cheap. It's two pieces of wood, longer
than the width of board that you're
dadoing. The first piece (A) is a 1x2.
The second piece of wood (B) is wider
than the distance from the edge of your
router base to the inside edge of the
bit you're using.

Screw piece A to piece B flush on one
side. Measure from the INSIDE of piece A
across piece B til it's about 1/4" wider
than the distance from the outside of
your router base to the edge of the
router bit (mounted in the collet). Rip
along that measured line.

Then butt the router base against the
1x2 and rout the edge you've just sawed.
You now have a custom made dado jig for
that size of bit. The (routed) edge of
piece B will line up along the edge of
your marked dado.

This takes almost longer to describe
than it does to build. It's also easier
to build than describe.

When you've finished, paint it bright
yellow so you don't lose it.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 9:04 pm, wrote:
I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Thanks.

-Dipu

My suggestion is to buy the kit with both
bases now. I purchased the 690 with only
the fixed base and now regret it. It will now cost
me $89 - $96 to buy the plunge base.
Considering that it would only have cost
me $45 more to purchase the kit when I
bought the fixed based model.
Yes the fixed base is very usable without
a router table/cabinet for exactly what you
describe, edge work and dado/rebates.
Get the kit or be sorry later when you want
to do any inlay, mortise work, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

spend 50 bucks more and get the kit. You won't be sorry. Save up your money
and buy a M12V for you router table. Once you get into WW you'll probably
have 3 or 4 routers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bookman" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 9:04 pm, wrote:
I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184).snip
Thanks.

-Dipu

My suggestion is to buy the kit with both
bases now. I purchased the 690 with only
the fixed base and now regret it. It will now cost
me $89 - $96 to buy the plunge base.
Considering that it would only have cost
me $45 more to purchase the kit when I
bought the fixed based model.
Yes the fixed base is very usable without
a router table/cabinet for exactly what you
describe, edge work and dado/rebates.
Get the kit or be sorry later when you want
to do any inlay, mortise work, etc.

Check out e-bay, bookman. I saw a new, plunge base for about $60. - here it
is but it's long ended.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTER-CABLE-PLU...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just buy whichever you can afford. You can search e-bay and find good
deals on most everything you need later. After I got a cheep router
table and router at Home Depot, I found out how useful they are I use
them on every job. I still own and use it as well as a professional
table with a 3 hp plunge router for big jobs, a 2 hp hand held router
with soft start and variable speed control for use with jigs on
specialized jobs, a trim router for 90% of the stuff I use a handheld
router and a Don Allen Gunstock Duplicator with a Dewatt 616 router
for carving. The duplicator is a 7 axis copier. I've got a spare
router to replace the Dewatt for any time it needs servicing as well.
And a big box of specialized router bits... On second thought, don't
buy it. you can't imagine how much a cheep router will cost you and
how much you'll use it for. LOLMAOTIP

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:04:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Thanks.

-Dipu

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Absolutely ... the 690 motor will give you a number of options. I have three
of four 690 motors and more bases/cases than I can count.

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table?

Again ... absolutely. You will find a multitude of uses for a handheld
router the size of the 690. Visit Pat Warner's site:

http://patwarner.com

.... for some good info on bases, jigs, etc. for the ubiquitous 690 motor,
among other excellent information.

Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Check out Leon's adjustable dado jig ... he just reposted pictures of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking this morning ... it will be an excellent
companion for your 690 for handheld use.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dipu,
Before I got a router table, I used a straight edge to make dados
and rabbits. Worked good, lasted a long time. But since I got a
router table, my router stays attached to the table - mostly!

I got a set as a gift, plunge and fixed, so price was not an issue,
but I have yet to use the plunge base. I make mortices with a drill
and chisels, more fun anyway.

Can anyone here on the Wreck tell me what a plunge base might be
used for, besides mortices???

Regards,

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/07 11:08 AM, "rich" wrote:

Can anyone here on the Wreck tell me what a plunge base might be
used for, besides mortices???

Stopped/blind dados

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:08:52 -0800 (PST), rich
wrote:

Can anyone here on the Wreck tell me what a plunge base might be
used for, besides mortices???

stopped dados, sliding dovetails, and rabbets
mortises
slots
inlays
multiple, repeatable, varying depth passes (turret stop)
drilling holes on large objects
inside cuts, where you'll also keep the "waste"
milling flat bottom cutouts

When you need a plunger, you'll NEED a plunger! G

Some of the operations above can be done with a fixed base, with a
time, safety, or quality penalty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can anyone here on the Wreck tell me what a plunge base might be
used for, besides mortices???

stopped dados, sliding dovetails, and rabbets
mortises
slots
inlays
multiple, repeatable, varying depth passes (turret stop)
drilling holes on large objects
inside cuts, where you'll also keep the "waste"
milling flat bottom cutouts

When you need a plunger, you'll NEED a plunger! G

Some of the operations above can be done with a fixed base, with a
time, safety, or quality penalty.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I always used stops on the router
table, or clamped stops, and just eased in the fixed base as needed.
Maybe it's time to learn how to use a new tool!
Regards,
Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 6:04 pm, wrote:
I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

Thanks.

-Dipu

Get the kit!

Shop around for deals on this router that everybody sells. About 3
years ago A co-worker got one for her husband with a rebate form for a
free D-handle base.

Also make sure it is variable speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 6:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's true I got a free D handle too. I got mine from Amazon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks a lot for all the advice and comments. Now I need to convince
my wife to buy me the router for my birthday :-)

-Dipu
Posted to rec.woodworking

There must be something she wants you to make that requires a router *wink*

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
wrote in message

Thanks a lot for all the advice and comments. Now I need to convince
my wife to buy me the router for my birthday :-)

-Dipu

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 9:04 pm, wrote:
I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional
hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router
( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a
question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to
keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the
motor into that?

Buy the set if you're buying both.

Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router
useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I
will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough
courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling.

That's the 693 base, which I use under my table. Needs to
be unsprung or needs a jack if you want to adjust it without
fighting it. Fine, once you get it set to depth. Use the
depth rod and back travel limit nuts to lock it in.

Router base RayV Woodworking 7 May 10th 07 12:02 PM
Router base question Richard Woodworking 0 November 13th 06 10:06 PM
Router Base J T Woodworking 0 August 27th 06 09:27 AM
Can router base be centered on a Bosch 1611 router? Roger Woodworking 6 February 14th 05 11:56 PM
Has anyone used pat Warners offset router base in the Dewalt DW621 or other router [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 10th 04 05:36 AM