Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Glue Joint Failed Today

First time that happened - with good glue anyway. Am in the last
stages of putting together my latest router jig, the one for routing
chess pieces. Went to the shop to trim of excess, and to cut a few more
pieces to size that need to be glued on.

Trimmed a bit off the body of the jig, set it down, it broke. I
broke my jig. LOL I had glued some stacked pieces of 1/2" ply as a
center splacer. It was one of those joints that failed. I looked at th
e pieces, and apparently what happened was I put glue on one side, and
just smeared a tiny bit on the other side, then clamped. There was
enough glue to pull wood off the glued to piece, but only in a few
spots. Way glue starved apparently, from the very start. I was wiping
excess glue off with my finger, and I guess I swiped that across the
piece I wanted to glue to get the glue off my finger, and didn't add
more. I guess from now on I'll have to be more careful, and just wipe
my gluey fingers on my pants. Ah well, it wouldn't have been ready
until tomorrow anyway, so no time lost.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote
more. I guess from now on I'll have to be more careful, and just wipe
my gluey fingers on my pants.

Make that "pants leg" ... IOW, be careful which itch you scratch. Glue on a
zipper can hinder an urgent evacuation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/10/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

The glue set enough to check if it would hold my two test pieces.
Broke a spacer. Actually the center spacer is a piece of plywood about
1/2" X 1/2", not as wide as the others. I couldn't find the other
piece, and anyway there'll be a flat piece about 2" X 4" glued on top,
which will provide the strength.

Anyway, cranked up the pressure with the cam clamp, and popped that
piece, right thru one layer of wood. Those cam clamps can crank up a
lot more pressure than a lot of people think. As soon as the blue sets
enough to take the clmp off I'll glue the top piece on, then the other
parts, and it'll be done. This jig is actually going to be kinda
elegent. Always nice to make something like this that looks decent
besides works just like I'd planned.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 8:08�am, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1386123 20071214 015120 (J T) wrote:

Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 7:23pm (EST-1) From: (Swingman)
Make that "pants leg" ... IOW, be careful which itch you scratch. Glue
on a zipper can hinder an urgent evacuation.

No prob. �I've lost a bit of weight, and wear suspenders, no belt..

Do you know how funny that sounds to a Brit?
Are you a lumberjack, by any chance?
;-)

No. He's far from OK.

FoggyTown
Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:

On Dec 14, 8:08�am, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1386123 20071214 015120 (J T) wrote:

Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 7:23pm (EST-1) From: (Swingman)
Make that "pants leg" ... IOW, be careful which itch you scratch. Glue
on a zipper can hinder an urgent evacuation.

No prob. �I've lost a bit of weight, and wear suspenders, no belt.

Do you know how funny that sounds to a Brit?
Are you a lumberjack, by any chance?
;-)

No. He's far from OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0