Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRED - Chess Pieces Routing Jig

I was very happy with the results of testing my two new router
jigs. Since I first got the ideqa for them have been trying to figure
out how to make a jig so I can rout out the figure part of t he banks
too. I'm still thinking on that one. However, this evening I did
suddenly get an inspiration on how to maybe make some to rout out my
chess pieces. To show what I've got, scroll down to chess.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...SPATTERNSSUCH/

I've been using thin nails to tack the patters on to the stock to
be routed It's accurate, but takes more time to fasten the master down,
or remove, then it does to rout. Time-consuming, and a bit of a pita.
Seeing my test pieces from the bank jigs gave me an idea. I'm still
working (thinking) on this one.

Hmm, just figured a better way, maybe, than what I'd been thinking.
This will require a separate jig for each style piece. Instead of a
pattern bit with a bearing on th end, I'm pretty sure I'll need one with
the bearing at the base.

I'll need to rout out new masters, with an extension on the end.
Then make a "box" on the entended end. I'll need to cut rectangles to
be routed, slide them into the box, and have a cam clamp on the top of
the box to hole the piece in place. Then route. The rectangles will be
1 7'8" wide, with length varrying according to which piee it is, to
lessen waste. Or maybe just make them all the same size, to cut down on
time and the irritation factor.

Then, once the piece is routed out, the end will be lopped off, and
that will then be turned into an octagon to be the base for the piece
just made.

I'll need to think on this a bit more mabe, and definitely get
another bit, but Im thinking should work.

Now I'm thinking I may be able to do something aling these lines on
my bank figures too, but that'll call for at least two jigs for each.
Should be doo able tho. heh heh And it still ain't rocket science.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Almost as soon as I punched the send button I thought of an
improvement. I'm thinking now I may be able to make new masters, with
an extension, then slip them and the piece to be routed into a box, with
one or two cam clamps, to hold them both in place. This may take
awhile.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

I think I've got a handle on it now. Simpler than the other two
versions I'd though of. A box open at the bottom and one end, glued out
of 1/2" ply. One side will be a cam clamp - still gos some left from
some cam clamps I'd made but never assembled. Piece of ply inside, will
put pressure on the master and routed piece, supplied by the cam clamp.
I'll have some sort of piece running from side to side, and out holes in
each side, as part of the piece inside, to keep it from getting lost.
I'll go out tomorrow and start chopping up some ply scraps and gluing
Mark I version up. Now to figure out how to include at least one
popsicle stick, so it'll be official.