Posted to rec.woodworking

Default flipper type door solutions wanted

I built a kitchen cabinet that will sit on top of the counter and have
a flip up door at the bottom. I assumed (1st problem), having seen
several iterations of this theme that finding appropriate hardware (or
other solutions) to implement such a door would be no big deal. Now
that I'm attempting to purchase said hardware, I'm finding various
problems.

The cabinet is 11.5" inside. The smallest flipper slides I've found
require 12".

The lid stays made for flip up doors seem geared toward overhead
cabinets and open the door to 75-90 degrees. Since my door is at
counter level, a 75 degree opening won't cut it. I'm sure I've seen
(in a catalog or some such) European cabinets that open to ~125
degrees or so.

I guess a tambour door is a solution. I'd rather something else,
though.

You folks have any other ideas, or suggestions for where to get
hardware? BTW, I have looked through a number of sites (LeeValley, WW
Hardware, CShardware, etc.)but if you have a specific item in mind,
please share the link, since browsing/searching may not catch all the
available items.

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

I guess a tambour door is a solution. I'd rather something else,
though.

Unfortunately, you may be stuck with that option, sans an inventive mind and
the patience to implement a solution in wood.

That said, and IME installing flipper doors, even if you could find one it
would still not be suitable for counter top use as they rarely retract far
enough when top mounted to not limit access in some manner to the space.

12" is a minimum that seems to be ubiquitous on metal slides these day, so
it is doubtful that you would be able to even 'roll your own' by somehow
duplicating/modifying, by using store bought slides, the "follow strip"
principle used in most flipper door mechanisms

What I would do in your situation, is to study how flipper door works and
see if you can't duplicate the idea behind the "follow strip" in wood.

An alternative solution, other than a tambour door, would perhaps be a drop
down door, hinged in some manner at the bottom. It may even better serve
your purpose for ready access, and would certainly be easier to implement.

Just a thought ... and though the tambour door is the "standard" standby, it
is not always all the easy to implement as an after thought, IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
[...]

Rotate your cabinet 90 degrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:42:02 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message

[...]

One reason to get others' opinions - sometimes the obvious escapes me.
Like this idea.
You know, this might actually work. Have to think about it some.

Just a thought ... and though the tambour door is the "standard" standby, it
is not always all the easy to implement as an after thought, IME.

Yep. Kinda in the back of my mind as well. Maybe I oughta bring in
more to the front, since I'm gonna take advantage of the fine 67
degrees today and spray the cabinet, - just prior to final assembly
(install back).

Thanx for all the advice/ideas!
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:34:27 -0500, "Charley"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Have you considered making your doors pivot and slide in like a barrister
bookcase cover?
2 short dowels protruding from the ends of the door at the top will serve as
the hinge and slots cut in the sides will allow these dowels to slide to the
back of the cabinet. Then you only need 2 more dowels in the sides just
below and behind the door to act as the pivot and hold the front of the door
up when it is open and slid back into the cabinet.

Charley

Hmmm. I'm kinda liking this as well. Barrister bookcase style is
what the flipper slides do, but given the problems I'm encountering,
this "manual" solution might be just the ticket.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's something that would work - but for one little problem...

http://www.homedecorhardware.com/slun.html

But, at between $115 and $145, I don't think so.

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
Here's something that would work - but for one little problem...

http://www.homedecorhardware.com/slun.html

But, at between $115 and $145, I don't think so.

Ouch!, the price we must pay for poor planning/afterthoughts/add-ons.

However, I'm gonna keep those in mind for the next rich client ... thanks
for the link.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
Here's something that would work - but for one little problem...

http://www.homedecorhardware.com/slun.html

But, at between $115 and $145, I don't think so.

How about a pair of offset hinges
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,40246&p=40246
and a couple or ten strategically placed rare earth magnets to hold it
open?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Flipper door question Mike Woodworking 5 October 10th 05 03:36 AM
mini din type DC power plug wanted can't trace it [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 12th 05 07:02 AM
"flipper" doors John Moorhead Woodworking 3 March 30th 05 11:22 PM
Photos of radial arm saw flipper stops Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 March 9th 05 02:42 PM
Wanted: Rockwell vertical milling machine (knee type) sidney crandall Metalworking 5 January 20th 05 06:26 PM