Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR LDR is offline

Default Finishing of Drawers

When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

LDR wrote:
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

I've used shellac. Traditional drawers with wooden runners/kickers
would be left bare on the outside, with a bit of wax to make them work
smoother.

I've used oil-based poly on some large kitchen drawers (with metal
slides) that were to be used to store recycling bins. I wanted the
extra durability there. Once it was cured I don't remember any
particular smell, but at the same time I don't know that I'd use it for
drawers containing food or tablecloths/placemats just in case.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDR" wrote...
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Frank Klausz is making drawers from pine? Weak. Or just the bottoms? Or just throwing in a little pine tree air freshener?

Drawers that are too small and deep to spray, I'll sometimes use oil finish, which I think smells nice. Larger drawers, such as kitchen cab drawers on steel slides, I'll spray with water-based lacquer.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

Drawers can get dirty or dusty over time. I use shellac. I think Mr. Klauz
is nuts to suggest no finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

You don't finish furniture drawers because it will make your clothes smell.

Kitchen drawers get painted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello All!

I built some drawers (out of aspen) for the bathroom to hold all the
junk that accumulates in a bathroom closest.

I too have heard about not finishing the insides of drawers. But the
visions of the future with wood saturated with a mixture of shaving
cream, mouthwash and whathaveyou decided me to seal the wood.

I used three coats of wiping varnish (50/50 mix of varnish and
turpentine). Two coats would dry in a day. Light sanding to smooth
it, then one more coat the next day. Nice finish, low odor.

If I did it again I'd use waterbase poly, because my nice white aspen
is now a pale yellow.

No smell though, and easy to clean.

Old Guy
Who has yet to get fronts on said drawers.

On Dec 10, 11:02 pm, LDR wrote:
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"LDR" wrote

When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

Water based poly has very little odor.
Just completed a chest of drawers. I used Minwax Polycrylic on the drawers.
Virtually undetectable.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 5:33 am, "VibraJet"
wrote:
"LDR" wrote...
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Frank Klausz is making drawers from pine? Weak. Or just the bottoms? Or just throwing in a little pine tree air freshener?

There's nothing wrong with pine for drawer boxes. The two most common
woods seen in antique dressers (furniture that's seen decades of use)
are pine and poplar, and pine looks a helluva lot better than
poplar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

I use blonde dewaxed shellac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:02:02 -0800, LDR
wrote:

When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to,
that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be
objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

I have in the past, but don't any more.

Cedar makes great sides, as well as pine.

Unfinished drawers are also easier to adjust if they bind in a year or
two. Finished drawers are also more likely to stick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:17:45 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with pine for drawer boxes. The two most common
woods seen in antique dressers (furniture that's seen decades of use)
are pine and poplar, and pine looks a helluva lot better than
poplar.

Absolutely!

finishing a chest of drawers ken blais Woodworking 1 April 5th 06 04:35 AM
Is finishing drawers WITHOUT final fit-up OK? bent Woodworking 10 February 7th 06 03:45 AM
finishing drawers? Tom Woodworking 9 September 4th 05 07:42 AM
drawers leonard Woodworking 11 June 20th 05 05:14 PM
Enough drawers, you think? Layne Woodworking 19 April 22nd 04 05:50 PM