Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking meets Quilting

Well, I am working on the 2 jewelry chests today and adding the Tiger Maple
veneer to the maple drawer fronts, 24 of'um. Because the veneer strips are
1/8" wider than 3 of the drawers, stacked, I needed to be able to cut the
veneer with little waste for the veneer to get all 6 drawers. The veneer is
long enough to handle the length of 2 drawers. Basically each sheet of
veneer will cover 6 of the small drawers. Clear? ;~)

Anyway, in the past I have used a utility knife to cut the veneer, that
works OK. Today I am using on of the rotary cutters that my wife cuts quilt
fabric with. Along with a straight edge, another quilters tool, this works
great with no waste or tear out. For cutting with the grain a single pass
does the trick, cross cutting requires two passes.

I have seen the rotary cutters offered at a few veneer supply sites but was
a bit skeptical. If any of you are veneering and have not tried the rotary
cutter I highly recommend it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Careful there Leon. You may develop acute color sensitivity and start
buying lace for no apparent reason!

All kidding aside, those rotary cutters are quite handy. A friend who
receives lots of packages in their business has gone to the rotary cutters
to open packages. They claim they are much safer and easier to use than box
cutters or utility knives.

My wife's rotary cutters are pressed into service on a semiregular basis for
the odd cutting job around the house. I have used them to open odd shaped
peices of mail that would nor repsond to a regular letter opener. They are
especially good on those bubble padded envelopes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Careful there Leon. You may develop acute color sensitivity and start
buying lace for no apparent reason!

LOL

All kidding aside, those rotary cutters are quite handy. A friend who
receives lots of packages in their business has gone to the rotary cutters
to open packages. They claim they are much safer and easier to use than
box cutters or utility knives.

I would imagine so, In my previous life profession we opened lots of boxes
with utility knives and the rotary seems a next natural improvement for that
process.

My wife's rotary cutters are pressed into service on a semiregular basis
for the odd cutting job around the house. I have used them to open odd
shaped peices of mail that would nor repsond to a regular letter opener.
They are especially good on those bubble padded envelopes.

I am going to line the drawers of the jewelry chest drawers with heavy stiff
felt. I bought a piece and tried cutting the felt with a rotary cutter and
as you might expect it worked great on that also. The felt is stiff enough
that it would not be necessary to glue in. On the trial version I used
3/4" wide double stick tape with perfect results. I was able to get 40 sq
feet of the felt for $12.

living with quilting addicts chuckb Woodworking 0 December 8th 07 11:42 PM
quilting frame Casper Woodworking 2 April 5th 06 09:27 PM
Woodworking Meets Drug Design stoutman Woodworking 18 October 5th 05 03:04 AM
Where the wall meets the carpet Robert Allison Home Repair 3 June 29th 05 10:02 PM
bicycle meets car car wins Steve Knight Woodworking 66 October 20th 04 04:05 AM