Steve

Default Molding around Pedestal Desk base

What's the best way to attach a mitered, oak molding around the bottom
of a pedestal desk case. The case is plywood and the molding is 3
1/2" wide and 3/4" thick. I expect the molding to get kicked and
banged some by a rolling chair. It would be possible to screw from
the inside of the case. Would glue be enough? Is 3 1/2" wide enough
to be concerned about the wood movement?
Thanx - Steve

Mike in Mystic

And there's nothing wrong with that, either. If you use a pin nailer to
hold the piece in place when you glue it up, it works great.

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
Norm might use glue and a few brads. :-)

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
What's the best way to attach a mitered, oak molding around the bottom
of a pedestal desk case. The case is plywood and the molding is 3
1/2" wide and 3/4" thick. I expect the molding to get kicked and
banged some by a rolling chair. It would be possible to screw from
the inside of the case. Would glue be enough? Is 3 1/2" wide enough
to be concerned about the wood movement?
Thanx - Steve

Bob N

"a few brads to hold it while the glue dries"...

Norm

Swingman

The keywords are "plywood case". If the case was real wood, you likely
wouldn't be able to get away with glue for the cross-grain situation.
Screwing the molding on from the inside of the plywood case is an elegant
way to attach this molding if you have the room, as well as glue and
brads/finish nails for the normites.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
Bridgeport base casting weight? George Willer Metalworking 1 August 26th 03 02:59 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 09:52 PM