Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

Default Red Oak Dust

Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Zap
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

zap wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

I'm sure _somebody_ has...

Personally though, no, oak (red nor white) has ever been a dermatitis
problem for me. Everybody's different. I have gotten into some
mill-run green oak that had had poison oak growing on it and got a heck
of a case while stacking it...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"zap" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Tannins and other lovelies can irritate. Especially if you're sweating.
Protect yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 10:59 am, zap wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Zap

Almost any wood when reduced to fine dust can irritate. Keep your arms
and other body parts covered, wash your clothing separately, and
shower well immediately after working with any wood when you're
sanding or otherwise creating fine dust. The dust mask is essential--I
hate 'em, but use them--and goggles are a help, too, to prevent eye
irritation.

Red oak doesn't bother me, but mahogany has put me in the emergency
room. I had been sensitized a day earlier, when I got something on the
order of seven yellowjacket stings (do NOT step in a yellowjacket
nest: it really ****es the little buggers off. I was lucky it was only
seven stings, but two evenings later, that entire tribe vanished).
Posted to rec.woodworking

zap wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Not red oak, my problem is with Red Maple (Acer rubrum). I can't sand
the stuff without getting skin rash and lung inflammation. Nasty stuff
to me.
If you're having skin problems with red oak, I'd strongly suggest you
wear a good quality dust mask, or even a respirator. I've had good luck
with this model:
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...e=details#tabs

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,

Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

On Dec 9, 6:03 pm, DS wrote:
zap wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Not red oak, my problem is with Red Maple (Acer rubrum). I can't sand
the stuff without getting skin rash and lung inflammation. Nasty stuff
to me.
If you're having skin problems with red oak, I'd strongly suggest you
wear a good quality dust mask, or even a respirator. I've had good luck
with this model:http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...e=details#tabs

-- Krusty the Clown

Thank you all for your answers, It tells me that I am on the right
track with what I believe happened to me after working with Red Oak
fine dust. I certainly will take more precautions in the future.
Washing off right after making all that dust, wearing clothing that
will protect my bare skin as much as possible..

Zap
Posted to rec.woodworking

"zap" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Zap

--

When we refinished the floors in our last house my hubby developed an
allergy to it.

luckily a couple of Benedryl cleared it up for him but it took his eye lids
a few days to heal.
Yep, he was wearing a dust mask and eye protection and I was the one running
the sander.

These days, we avoid oak for this very reason. It must be something in the
tanins.

We did find out that if he immediately rinsed his face and exposed parts
after getting dust on himself, his reaction was considerably less severe.

Good luck to you!

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 10:59 am, zap wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding
Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.

I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.

Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??

Zap

As stated by others, everybody's different. I could probably eat red
oak dust without any complications. For me, black walnut is an
irritant. Unfortunately, I love black walnut and I'm indifferent to
red oak. And so it goes...

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

When I sand Oak it causes my hands to itch and the cuticles by my nails to
flake and peel.