Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Mystery wood identification

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help with this .. someone I know (who's in
Australia, I'm in Ireland!) has come by some mystery wood that he can't
identify. It's probably from the Pacific region somewhere, and he says
it arrived in a crate along with some Kwila, Vitex, PNG Rosewood and
Taun, all of which are totally unknown to me, but I Google'd them and
they're all from that area of the world.

Here's his description ... I guess the unusual smell might be the factor
that causes one of you to say "Aaaaaah, I know what that is!".

I have some timber in 4X4 posts but we cant identify it through any
book. Maybe some of ye have come across it before.

Its light, I'd give it an ADD of about 450 - 650 KG/M3
Its strong, I'd rate it SD4
Its very light in colour

IT SMELLS LIKE cloves/aniseed

Any ideas on a species?

Thanks in advance,
Alun
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Alun wrote:

[...]

I use http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ for ideas when I
need to identify wood

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning, rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 11:00�am, Alun wrote:
[...]

See if anything in here looks familiar.

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html

FoggyTown

Wood identification Graham Gilbert Woodworking 8 November 11th 07 02:19 AM
Wood identification question. Dave Jackson Woodworking 3 February 11th 07 10:12 AM
Wood Identification Resource Site URL charlie b Woodturning 2 January 12th 07 01:05 AM
Wood Identification maico Woodworking 5 October 31st 06 01:04 AM
Wood identification? PopS Woodworking 6 March 16th 06 01:09 AM