Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Identification

I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am
trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there
a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify
the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of
wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Maico,
Bruce Hoadley wrote two books that were recommended to me and I'm
passing on that recommendation. I did not see both books on the
Taunton Press website but they are both available from Amazon. Here is
the link

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102...ywords=hoadley

Marc

maico wrote:
I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am
trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there
a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify
the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of
wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the second book in the link. I believe it is highly recommended. It
is not meant to cover all species, but it covers most domestic woods, and a
number of common exotics.

Hoadley uses end grain to determine tree species. It is effective. The
book even includes a 10x eyescope which aids in identification.

A quick look at the book and then at red oak and white oak and the
difference will be very apparent.

Dave Paine.

ups.com...

maico wrote:
I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am
trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there
a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify
the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of
wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

maico wrote:
I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am
trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there
a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify
the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of
wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This will get you started:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

There are many web sites with varying degrees of information density on
wood identification, this being among the denser:
http://what-wood.rleeden.no-ip.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for 2nd'ing the book Tyke: it is now a must buy on my list!

The websites below are very interesting and they look like a quick (and
useful) answer to my question. I will study them further. Thank you.