Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default Wood Identification

Hello Maico,
Bruce Hoadley wrote two books that were recommended to me and I'm
passing on that recommendation. I did not see both books on the
Taunton Press website but they are both available from Amazon. Here is
the link

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102...ywords=hoadley

Marc

maico wrote:
I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am
trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there
a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify
the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of
wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.