Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default SQUIRREL FEEDER

http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/fr...der-plans.html

Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.
Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work to get to the food - and
amuse me watching them. Plastic, sheet metal, slippery floor wax,
immediately come to mind. Hmm, maybe something with compressed air - I
just thought of the James Bond Aston Martin and its passenger ejection
seat. Sometimes it just takes small things to amuse me.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:20:07 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/fr...der-plans.html

Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.
Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work to get to the food - and
amuse me watching them. Plastic, sheet metal, slippery floor wax,
immediately come to mind. Hmm, maybe something with compressed air - I
just thought of the James Bond Aston Martin and its passenger ejection
seat. Sometimes it just takes small things to amuse me.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

My late mother-in-law had her bird feeder in an open area of the yard
(no jumping from a tree branch) and mounted on a smooth metal pole -
which she regularly greased with Vaseline. No squirrels made it to
the feeder, but some really did try ;-)

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

J T said:

Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.

That's for sure.

Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work...
Sometimes it just takes small things to amuse me.

There are many bird feeders here. I've tried just about everything to
keep the squirrels out. Nothing works for long. They are the most
persistent little rodents I've ever encountered. They even ate through
the house walls before replacing the siding with fibrous concrete.

I've tried baffles, they leap 30 feet from tree limbs above and land,
sometimes, on the feeders. Makes quite a racket when they hit. I've
tried grease, silicon, infra-red detectors rigged to water jets,
slingshots, and electric shock. I'll have to admit to laughing pretty
hard watching them leap into the air, writhing in confusion upon
application of a good shock. But they fixed the problem by severing
the electrical cord in the one spot it was exposed - repeatedly.
Smart little bas#$*&s. They won - I gave up trying.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Dec 6, 2007, 4:17pm From: (Greg*G.)
J T said:
Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.
That's for sure.
Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work... Sometimes it just
takes small things to amuse me.
There are many bird feeders here. I've tried just about everything to
keep the squirrels out. Nothing works for long. They are the most
persistent little rodents I've ever encountered. They even ate through
the house walls before replacing the siding with fibrous concrete.
I've tried baffles, they leap 30 feet from tree limbs above and land,
sometimes, on the feeders. Makes quite a racket when they hit. I've
tried grease, silicon, infra-red detectors rigged to water jets,
slingshots, and electric shock. I'll have to admit to laughing pretty
hard watching them leap into the air, writhing in confusion upon
application of a good shock. But they fixed the problem by severing the
electrical cord in the one spot it was exposed - repeatedly. Smart
little bas#$*&s. They won - I gave up trying.

I saw a show on TV, Discovery, or Animal Planet, probably. Showed
scientists' efforts to try to outwit squirrels raiding 'bird' feeders.
They fialed miserabl, the scientists that is. But got some interesting,
and hilarious, results. At one feeder the squirrels could not reach it
in any way except by jumping from a tree branch to the side of a house,
where they then jumped to the feeder. The scientists found that a
degree wrong angle, any direction, and the squirrel would miss the
feeder. If I recall right, it only took about 7 tries for the squirrels
to catch on. They also tried clear plastic tubes (squirrel trails?),
and so on. Something like this, Rube Goldberg style, is about what I
was thinking of trying. I don't figure on beating them, too many trees
for one thing, but should provide a lot of amusement, both from watching
the squirrels, and from thinking up new alternatives.

The little *******s use my roof as a shorcu or something too. I'll
here what shounds like a tiny horse running across my roof every so
often. Amazing how such a small animal can sound so large running
across a roof.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

This is worth the time to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YZIhlWpS0

J T said:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

"Greg G." wrote in message
J T said:

Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.

That's for sure.

Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work...
Sometimes it just takes small things to amuse me.

There are many bird feeders here. I've tried just about everything to
keep the squirrels out. Nothing works for long.

snip

I've got two these. They work.

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Farms.../dp/B000667W4A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://tinyurl.com/3cmylt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 6, 3:20 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/fr...der-plans.html

Or, you can just use bird feeder plans, same thing in the end.
Personally, looking at this makes me start thinking about making
something that would really make squirrels work to get to the food - and
amuse me watching them. Plastic, sheet metal, slippery floor wax,
immediately come to mind. Hmm, maybe something with compressed air - I
just thought of the James Bond Aston Martin and its passenger ejection
seat. Sometimes it just takes small things to amuse me.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

I heard that Lyndon Johnson fancied a late night snack from the White
House kitchen of a squirrel sandwich, most probably served on Texas
toast,

There's no accounting for taste.
Joe G

Squirrel-proof bird feeder, North London Clive UK diy 5 November 17th 07 09:01 AM
SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 3 September 26th 05 04:01 PM
squirrel repellant oreo123 Home Repair 19 May 8th 05 01:38 AM
SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 18 May 2nd 05 11:07 PM