Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Annual Repost: Woodshop Chicken/Sausage Gumbo

If you missed it the first time:

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...
It's been uncharacterically cold down this way ... I don't know about you,
but for me the time is just right for the following:

Woodshop Chicken/Sausage Gumbo

3 Lb chicken (old hen is best, boneless/skinless is fine)
3 Lb Smoked Sausage (venison'll do if you've got it)
2 Lb Cut Okra (frozen is fine)

Chop the following and season well before adding to the pot:

2 Large Onions
2 Large Bell Peppers
1 Large bunch Celery
1 Large bunch Parsley
2 bunches Green Onion tops (reserve a tee bit for garnish)

Salt, black pepper, Garlic powder, cayenne pepper to taste (if you can get
it, Tony Chachere's "Cajun Seasoning" will work just fine)

1 cup Roux (make it, or buy it in a jar at the store ... made is better,

but
store bought works)

Make it easy on yourself and make your roux in the Microwave as follows:

1 cup flower mixed with 1/2 cup of cooking oil in a round bottom Pyrex

dish.
Cover and Microwave on high for about 15-20 minutes, stirring EVERY minute
after the roux starts to turn color. Watch it closely, the darker the

roux,
the stronger and darker the Gumbo ... I take mine to a dark chocolate

color,
almost black ... but don't burn it! It doesn't take long, so if you do,
start over.

Note: the roux will continue to darken a bit after you take it out of the
Microwave. Be careful with it at this stage, because it is super heated

and
can burn you. I often stir in a handful of the chopped vegetables to the
roux at this point to get that dark, shiny roux, but watch that it doesn't
spit back at you if you do.

Fill a 12 quart stock pot about half full of water, put it on high heat

and
while it is coming to a boil add the roux and chopped vegetables, stirring
it up well to meld the roux with the water. Bring back to a boil. Season

the
broth, add the chicken and sausage, bring to a boil again, then turn down

the heat to medium and let simmer until the chicken is done ... a couple

of
hours simmering on low heat will bring out the flavor.

Serve over cooked white rice (NOT converted rice!), garnished with some
reserved green onion tops.

Gumbo File can be added while it is cooking (authentic), or to thicken it

bit when it is served.

There is no law that says you can't add shrimp, crab meat, oysters to the
above, individually by species, or all at the same time. However, there is

law that states that if you put tomatoes in gumbo you lose your Certified
Coonass papers and have to move to Arkansas, a place where condiments, and
educational materials, are not allowed!

I guarantee it'll keep you warm all the way out to the shop ... and I can
guarantee that it will be even better the next day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
12/02

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds very good Swingman, had never seen the microwave roux before thanks.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Swingman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

What are the proportions for a 2lb cut of okra? What do you use to dissolve
it in? Will the alcohol from my shellac be ok?????

jc

ps sounds good, I'll be trying it.

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
What are the proportions for a 2lb cut of okra? What do you use to

dissolve
it in? Will the alcohol from my shellac be ok?????

As long as you're using everclear for your shellac, you'll be in good shape
.... at least initially. Just be sure to apply it internally, not to the
okra.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 2:32 pm, "Joe" wrote:
What are the proportions for a 2lb cut of okra? What do you use to dissolve
it in? Will the alcohol from my shellac be ok?????

jc

ps sounds good, I'll be trying it.

"Swingman" wrote in message

news
[...]

Somebody recently died from drinking a quart of shellac.
He thrashed about the floor for about 15 minutes....but what a finish!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 9, 2:32 pm, "Joe" wrote:
What are the proportions for a 2lb cut of okra? What do you use to
dissolve
it in? Will the alcohol from my shellac be ok?????

jc

ps sounds good, I'll be trying it.

"Swingman" wrote in message

news
[...]

ah hell, i told myself not to laugh at that,... but i did anyway.

:-)

jc