Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Corner Cab - work in progress

Working on a personal project until it's time to install the next kitchen
(fast approaching, so get ready Leon!)

Pictured on apbw is the basic corner cabinet casework I've been working on,
when I get a chance, the last three weeks ... complete with base and crown,
and finally standing on its on.

The trim piece on the middle rail and the four doors and shelves remain to
be fabricated, but the 76" tall case, which has been taking up space in the
shop and making it difficult to move about, is finally out of the way and
work can now commence on those parts.

For the "rest of the story":
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects15.htm

Unlike last year, and since I finished the shop made Christmas gifts BEFORE
Halloween this year ... there's no hurry on this one.

Canasta anyone?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Dec 5, 10:39 am, "Swingman" wrote:
[...]

Looks nice. Beautiful rays in that oak. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote

Looks nice. Beautiful rays in that oak. Tom

Thanks, Tom ... found those two boards at the very bottom (naturally) of a
3' high x 4' wide stack of 14' long rough, skip planed timber while hanging
on with one hand and all ten toes to the "second floor" of a lumber dealer's
rack.

Was glad to get my feet back on the ground, but it turned out to be worth
the risk to life and limb for that "wrap around" ray fleck on both sides of
the face frame.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Working on a personal project until it's time to install the next kitchen
(fast approaching, so get ready Leon!)

Cool! however I do have to complete $4000 worth of jewlry boxes "before"
Christmas. ;~)

Pictured on apbw is the basic corner cabinet casework I've been working
on,
when I get a chance, the last three weeks ... complete with base and
crown,
and finally standing on its on.

The trim piece on the middle rail and the four doors and shelves remain to
be fabricated, but the 76" tall case, which has been taking up space in
the
shop and making it difficult to move about, is finally out of the way and
work can now commence on those parts.

For the "rest of the story":
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects15.htm

Unlike last year, and since I finished the shop made Christmas gifts
BEFORE
Halloween this year ... there's no hurry on this one.

Wish I could say the same.

Canasta anyone?

My card fingers are getting itchy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

Working on a personal project until it's time to install the next kitchen

Really nice medullary rays in that oak. You are one busy dude.
I'm impressed at the large format stuff you build in the space
available - IIR the dimensions of your shop space correctly.
You should see the mess I generate constructing a woodturning. :-o
Nice job, as usual.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote

Nice job, as usual.

Thanks, Greg ... good to see you back posting again.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:39:34 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Working on a personal project until it's time to install the next kitchen
(fast approaching, so get ready Leon!)

Pictured on apbw is the basic corner cabinet casework I've been working on,
when I get a chance, the last three weeks ... complete with base and crown,
and finally standing on its on.

The trim piece on the middle rail and the four doors and shelves remain to
be fabricated, but the 76" tall case, which has been taking up space in the
shop and making it difficult to move about, is finally out of the way and
work can now commence on those parts.

For the "rest of the story":
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects15.htm

Great looking piece. I'm impressed by the quality of work,
particularly considering the size of the shop. Mine is slightly
larger, and I sure have trouble tackling any large pieces. Takes great
deal of organization and planning to do that. Please tell me you do a
major clean up before the pictures. :~)

Unlike last year, and since I finished the shop made Christmas gifts BEFORE
Halloween this year ... there's no hurry on this one.

I am not there.

Canasta anyone?

Pass on the cards, but have finally seen the light. Post Thanksgiving
after spending 30 minutes over the cast iron pot and then burning a
batch of roux when the phone rings, think I'm going to try your method
when I turn the the post Christmas smoked turkey carcass into gumbo.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Great looking piece. I'm impressed by the quality of work,
particularly considering the size of the shop. Mine is slightly
larger, and I sure have trouble tackling any large pieces. Takes great
deal of organization and planning to do that. Please tell me you do a
major clean up before the pictures. :~)

Thanks for the kind words. Like Boudreaux sez: "What you lose on the shrimp,
you make on the crawfish; and what you lack in talent, you make up with
'organization and planning' ... sometimes!"

Unlike last year, and since I finished the shop made Christmas gifts

BEFORE
Halloween this year ... there's no hurry on this one.

I am not there.

For some inexplicable reason I've been having a real good time lately,
particularly after getting that chore out of the way. Being suspicious of
that feeling however, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's
alway's something!

Canasta anyone?

Pass on the cards, but have finally seen the light. Post Thanksgiving
after spending 30 minutes over the cast iron pot and then burning a
batch of roux when the phone rings, think I'm going to try your method
when I turn the the post Christmas smoked turkey carcass into gumbo.

Back in my 'yoot of living large, it took a minimum of a six pack, a dash of
good company, a pack of Luckies, and half a day of constant stirring to make
a roux for a big gumbo.

When that ceased being fun, mainly for lack of the dash, I switched to
making it in the oven, in a big cast iron Dutch Oven. Then Mom convinced me
to try the microwave method.

If you can't trust your mother, she being one of the best Cajun cooks in S.
Louisiana, with a number of recipes published down through the years, and
not subject to heresy ....

It didn't take more than the first spoonful of her chicken/sausage/okra
gumbo to be convinced.

Let us know how goes it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

Nice job, as usual.

Thanks, Greg ... good to see you back posting again.

Thanks, KC.
Wondered if anyone would notice... ;-) I snuck in the back way...

Warm weather has me busy working on a house, so I don't get to do much
in the way of "woodworking" except in winter. This is the first
project for this winter:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...lacewood01.jpg

You should have an appreciation for this more than many:

Replacement windows, doors, siding, building wrap and insulation:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/house07.jpg

Roof:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/house09.jpg

More or less finished for the year:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/house10.jpg

Homemade material lift:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/house11.jpg

Every ton of building materials humped by me, alone, including
uncountable tons of Hardiplank, 58 bundles of shingles, door units
with sidelights, 3 (48"x62") double paned tempered glass picture
windows, and several truckloads of replacement framing and sheathing
to replace the termite eaten originals.

All that work, and it's still a McMansion in a dirty corporate owned
southern city. Tired and feeling way too old for this sort of thing...

My life is totally backwards - had it good in my teens and 20s. Now
I'm resorting to this due to the jobs sucking wind these days.
Slave Laborors, Lawyers, and Technology, Bah!

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote
Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

Nice job, as usual.

Thanks, Greg ... good to see you back posting again.

Thanks, KC.
Wondered if anyone would notice... ;-) I snuck in the back way...

Warm weather has me busy working on a house, so I don't get to do much
in the way of "woodworking" except in winter. This is the first
project for this winter:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...lacewood01.jpg

Beautiful turning ... look out charlieb and mac!

[...]

Great work, Greg!! That is something to be proud of!!

BTW, looks similar to some of what I've been building the past few years:

www.paloent.com

.... although I subcontract most all of the work out due to too many years
under the bridge for that much humping (but I did the kitchens on the first
two by myself, and Leon and I have done the kitchens on the last three).

My life is totally backwards - had it good in my teens and 20s. Now
I'm resorting to this due to the jobs sucking wind these days.
Slave Laborors, Lawyers, and Technology, Bah!

Yeah, I remember those trials and tribulations ... keep your chin up buddy!
You're doing better than you think.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

Beautiful turning ... look out charlieb and mac!

Thanks. I'm not sure how profitable, considering the hours involved
versus the fact that I don't have a machine or a crew of slave
laborers to pump them out. Keeps me out of trouble, FWIW.

All that work, and it's still a McMansion in a dirty corporate owned
southern city. Tired and feeling way too old for this sort of thing...

Great work, Greg!! That is something to be proud of!!

Thanks again. I feel a little like I'm gold plating a Vega, however.
The framing and materials faux pas' leave something to be desired.

BTW, looks similar to some of what I've been building the past few years:

They look a tad bigger than this abortion, I'd say. They sure look
good from the street views. Of course the proof of the pudding is a
closer inspection - something that isn't done very often around here.

... although I subcontract most all of the work out due to too many years
under the bridge for that much humping (but I did the kitchens on the first
two by myself, and Leon and I have done the kitchens on the last three).

I understand completely and emphatically. I'm no spring chicken.
Plumbing and electrical are considerably less taxing. And I really
hate sanding sheet rock and painting.

Incidentally, what brand/type of windows do you use?
I wasn't really impressed with these special orders, but they weren't
the most expensive either.

Slave Laborors, Lawyers, and Technology, Bah!

Yeah, I remember those trials and tribulations ... keep your chin up buddy!

I does get pretty old being poked at like a specimen in a petri dish.
That's why the woodturnings - they keep me away from the locals. :-/

You're doing better than you think.

At least I'm not selling used cars to poor single mothers at the buy
now, repo later lot.

Good to see you're still around, along with a few other familiars.
I still read a few messages every month or so.
And if I don't see you before then, have a merry Christmas.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote

Incidentally, what brand/type of windows do you use?
I wasn't really impressed with these special orders, but they weren't
the most expensive either.

I'm a fan of quality vinyl windows in this climate for the low maintenance.
The higher grade Jeld-Wens is not bad, but I've noticed their quality seems
to be slipping lately ... the same grade they sold as "builder grade" five
or six years ago was a very good window, that grade now sucks.

As in all things, you get what you pay for.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

Incidentally, what brand/type of windows do you use?
I wasn't really impressed with these special orders, but they weren't
the most expensive either.

I'm a fan of quality vinyl windows in this climate for the low maintenance.
The higher grade Jeld-Wens is not bad, but I've noticed their quality seems
to be slipping lately ... the same grade they sold as "builder grade" five
or six years ago was a very good window, that grade now sucks.

I used the Carradco's by JeldWen. Seemed the best bang for the buck
in wooden windows. The locally stocked standard sized units I bought
at the outset were OK, but the drooping, fake bow windows required
custom order units which were poorer quality. On a couple of the
units, the sashes barely seal against the top/bottom jambs. You have
to manually insure they seal when closing. It appears they use stock
sized, pre-assembled sashes and the frames are built per customer
order. Tolerance stack up leaves excessive top/bottom clearances on
some. Not exactly what I was looking for when replacing for "energy
conservation." On top of that, when I got around to painting/staining,
the preinstalled sash latch screw holes were stripped and fell out
when loosened 45 degrees. Nice...

The best part was removing the originals, which were rotten (no head
flashing) and held in by two to four concrete nails driven through the
brickmold. Single pane, no insulation or caulk, no shims, trapezoidal
openings, and not even leveled. A couple nearly fell out when the
siding and interior trim were removed. I would have used pocket
window replacements if not for these factors.

A prime example of modern slap 'er up, profit driven homebuilding.
These were built in 1987. And it's has gotten much worse around here
since. And I cannot fathom why we still employ code enforcement
people who inspect nothing but the contents of the pay-off envelopes
and their new boat.

I hope I have one more single story house left in me, 'cause I'm
building my next home myself - in the woods, far away from any city.
Unplugged, as it were. Cisterns, geothermal and solar, etc. Even a
huge surplus single cylinder (multi-fuel) diesel and alternator for
"emergency power" if I can't locate property with a dam-able creek for
hydro. Escalating energy costs have me leaning heavily towards a
woodburning stove for shop heat. I'm tired of giving money to these
oily *******s - I'll burn used cooking oil if I have to.

As in all things, you get what you pay for.

If you are REALLY lucky...
Thus I would add, "and what you are persistent enough to demand."

Oy Vey.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 12:39 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
[...]

Looks great!. How are you planning to mount the glass in the doors?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Looks great!. How are you planning to mount the glass in the doors?

The usual dado'ed face frame ... they're pretty small, glass will be roughly
7 7/8 x 28.

Still haven't decided upon muntins, or no. Made the wood panel doors
yesterday, and will probably start cogitating/consulting on the glass ones
today.

But ... after Saturday, there are now further, humbling, complications ...
dammit!

Spent the afternoon at an 'open house' in the beautiful home one of Leon's
woodworking clients, a house that turns out to be a veritable museum for his
work, one or two pieces in _every_ room, including the bath.

Man, there is some gorgeous work there and plenty of it, including two
corner cabinets, count'em TWO, that make me think I should just start over.

To say that Leon's furniture work is impressive is the mother of
understatements ... makes you want to go serve an apprenticeship somewhere
and learn how to really do this stuff. Upshot is that I've now going to be
asking myself, "Hmmm ... what would Leon do here?" for the next decade or
two.

Folks, you don't really appreciate the amount of woodworking, and design,
talent on the wRec until you've seen some of it in person!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

Folks, you don't really appreciate the amount of woodworking, and design,
talent on the wRec until you've seen some of it in person!

The pictures are bad enough. ;-)
I'm certain that if I saw the better pieces in person, I'd just give
it up. It makes one's own humble attempts look the trash they are in
reality. Probably why Norm is so popular. It doesn't take a whole lot
of effort and talent to best his public works. Besides, it doesn't
have to be "perfect" to be functional. Of course, as a relative
newbie, I'm speaking for myself here...

But if all that's not bad enough, witness some of the hand carved
pieces they produce in Asia - where they make their own tools from old
scrap metal and motorcycle spokes, and carve barefooted and freehand.
http://www.thenewchinkyworkshop.com/...inthailand.htm

I'm going to go flush my head now.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote

But if all that's not bad enough, witness some of the hand carved
pieces they produce in Asia - where they make their own tools from old
scrap metal and motorcycle spokes, and carve barefooted and freehand.
http://www.thenewchinkyworkshop.com/...inthailand.htm

Yep .... the key to whole damn wooddorking thing:

Go BAREFOOT!!

.... wrap your toes around that.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
Swingman said:

[...]

My mother had a chest similar to the coffee table that the carver was
sitting on. Don't know what happened to it--when she died it wasn't
there in her apartment. Probably just as well, it really needed to be
knocked down and reglued (dovetails at all the corners by the way) and
I just know I'd have managed to bust the crap out of it knocking it
down. She bought it in Shanghai IIRC.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

Man, there is some gorgeous work there and plenty of it, including two
corner cabinets, count'em TWO, that make me think I should just start over.

NO!
I doubt that you mean that, but let me
say something here.

I'm sure Leon's work is top grade. And
maybe he's got a few tricks up his
sleeve that you've yet to learn. I
suspect you've got a few on him as well.
It normally works that way with guys at
your level.

I haven't seen his stuff, but I've spent
many an hour ogling your site, Swingman,
and you've got not a damned thing to be
ashamed of. Your work, methods, and
attitude are what I aspire to. At my
age, and profession, I'll never get
there, but you're an inspiration
nonetheless.

Sure, you make something and then take a
critical eye at it, and it doesn't quite
measure to what you'd hoped. But from
this eye, it's all lovely.

Ramblings from an amateur....

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Robatoy" wrote

[...]

Well, sitting here with a red face, Thank you Swingman, but as usual your
talent for eloquently describing things to sound magnificent has caused a
problem with my head, as it has swollen such that I cannot get though the
door way.
I give all credit to our great long time friends that hosted the party and
the excellent choice of music playing in the back ground by the great Linda
Lowe.

With that in mind, Swingman being a very good friend is no slouch himself at
being able to turn wood into beauty as proven by the many pieces that he has
posted on his web site. There are numerous pieces in his home that beg to
be touched every time I visit. Furniture can easily look nice but how often
dies it call out to be touched? In particular a small walnut entryway table
that IIRC resides under a picture of himself dressed up in his "Horse Riding
Costume" riding his pony 15 or 20 years ago. ;~) The piece is simply
elegant. From there you move further inside his home to the much larger
desks, tables, hutches, cabinets, and those 7 chairs which are eye candy to
any woodworkers eyes. I would be proud and honored to have any piece of his
work in my home. EXCEPT for a copy of a piece that I made which apparently
was a bit too complicated for him to duplicate. Sometimes card holders with
kick stands can be complicated with confusing angles. ;~) Please ask
Swingman to repost the picture of THAT one. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
Swingman said:

Folks, you don't really appreciate the amount of woodworking, and design,
talent on the wRec until you've seen some of it in person!

The pictures are bad enough. ;-)
I'm certain that if I saw the better pieces in person, I'd just give
it up. It makes one's own humble attempts look the trash they are in
reality. Probably why Norm is so popular. It doesn't take a whole lot
of effort and talent to best his public works. Besides, it doesn't
have to be "perfect" to be functional. Of course, as a relative
newbie, I'm speaking for myself here...

But if all that's not bad enough, witness some of the hand carved
pieces they produce in Asia - where they make their own tools from old
scrap metal and motorcycle spokes, and carve barefooted and freehand.
http://www.thenewchinkyworkshop.com/...inthailand.htm

I'm going to go flush my head now.

Yeah, truly magnificent work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 10:29 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

Looks great!. How are you planning to mount the glass in the doors?

The usual dado'ed face frame ... they're pretty small, glass will be roughly
7 7/8 x 28.

Still haven't decided upon muntins, or no. Made the wood panel doors
yesterday, and will probably start cogitating/consulting on the glass ones
today.

What I was after (I didn't ask it clearly,) was, do you use points,
silicon, or small wood trim pieces to hold in the glass?
I have yet to see an 'elegant' way to do that which doesn't involve
hours of making and mounting moulding strips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

NO!
I doubt that you mean that, but let me say something here.

NO you are correct, he absolutely does not mean that.

I'm sure Leon's work is top grade. And maybe he's got a few tricks up his
sleeve that you've yet to learn. I suspect you've got a few on him as
well. It normally works that way with guys at your level.

As Swingman has indicated in the past, we have worked together on a few
kitchen projects in the last few years and I have truly learned a few of
those tricks that were up his sleeve. I believe when working together that
we greatly compliment each other and the results are some very nice
kitchens. A good woodworker is always open to learn new ideas and ways to
do things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

What I was after (I didn't ask it clearly,) was, do you use points,
silicon, or small wood trim pieces to hold in the glass?

On square glass kitchen doors with a single pane and no muntins, I generally
use a rabbeted face frame (not dado, sorry) and silicon.

For a piece of furniture, both judiciously applied silicon to stop the
rattle, and wood trim, attached with pins.

I have yet to see an 'elegant' way to do that which doesn't involve
hours of making and mounting moulding strips.

Since there are gently curved rails at the top of each glass door that mimic
the base of the cabinet, I'm undecided which avenue I will take on these
glass doors.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab20.jpg

If the glass guy can duplicate the slight curve with no problem, I will
route a dado after the face frames are glued up; if not, I'll give him a
square, routed out area on the back of the top rails that will accept a
rectangular piece of glass.

I wish I knew, because I have the bottom doors glued up and drying and I'm
twiddling my thumbs as we speak.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

that IIRC resides under a picture of himself dressed up in his "Horse

Riding
Costume" riding his pony 15 or 20 years ago. ;~)

30 years ago, a 16 hand Thoroughbred hunter, and that's Fox Hunting attire,
son.

Tally ho!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

Sure, you make something and then take a
critical eye at it, and it doesn't quite
measure to what you'd hoped. But from
this eye, it's all lovely.

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest.

Do indeed get blown a way when I see top notch work, and just thought I'd
mention what I saw yesterday.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Tanus" wrote

Sure, you make something and then take a
critical eye at it, and it doesn't quite
measure to what you'd hoped. But from
this eye, it's all lovely.

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest.

No, I didn't mean to start one either.
As others have said, and quite recently,
it's often a joy to read the things
people put down here. It's also a thrill
to see the pictures of what someone's
accomplished.

I don't want to be maudlin, nor do I
want to embarrass anyone, but I do want
to show my appreciation for the
contribution that you and many others
make to the forum, both in text and
webpages.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 4:21 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

What I was after (I didn't ask it clearly,) was, do you use points,
silicon, or small wood trim pieces to hold in the glass?

On square glass kitchen doors with a single pane and no muntins, I generally
use a rabbeted face frame (not dado, sorry) and silicon.

I have used silicon there also. One of the very few times I will tape
a silicon job.
But it's silicon..I don't think it belongs on furniture. Also, I
absolutely hate that **** and in the countertop business, I go through
a lot of it, even when scribing to the walls. (They're not straight,
you know....G)

For a piece of furniture, both judiciously applied silicon to stop the
rattle, and wood trim, attached with pins.

See? A question, an answer. I always forget I have that pinner. That
should do a great job in that application.
I'll make a bunch of small trim...cool. Problem solved.

I wish I knew, because I have the bottom doors glued up and drying and I'm
twiddling my thumbs as we speak.

When you have time, give Long Road Out Of Eden a listen. Took me 4-5
tries to have it work for me...but them Eagles are the epitomy of
slick.
I have always been a huge Eagles fan, but was leery to try this new
CD. I didn't not want to be disappointed.
Then I read a review in Rolling Stone magazine which had a line in it
which made me go buy it:
====
Walsh's "Last Good Time in Town" is a wry cantina-swing sequel to
"Life in the Fast Lane" -- staying home apparently is the new going
out -- and he cuts through the salsa-lounge grooming with James Gang-
era guitar. Seven minutes, though, is a long time to sing about doing
****-all.
====
LOL.
As a guy who has worked both sides of the glass in the studio, you'll
appreciate the art. Can there be a recording that is 'too well done?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

"Tanus" wrote

Sure, you make something and then take a
critical eye at it, and it doesn't quite
measure to what you'd hoped. But from
this eye, it's all lovely.

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest.

OK you guys, get a room.

Do indeed get blown a way when I see top notch work, and just thought I'd
mention what I saw yesterday.

The party drinks make the mind more amiable to questionable beauty.
Seriously. Haven't you ever awakened on a Saturday morning and...
Oh well, at least you got blown one way or another.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 5:08 pm, Greg wrote:
Swingman said:

"Tanus" wrote

Sure, you make something and then take a
critical eye at it, and it doesn't quite
measure to what you'd hoped. But from
this eye, it's all lovely.

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest.

OK you guys, get a room.

Do indeed get blown a way when I see top notch work, and just thought I'd
mention what I saw yesterday.

The party drinks make the mind more amiable to questionable beauty.
Seriously. Haven't you ever awakened on a Saturday morning and...

I have the stitch marks where they re-attached my arm to prove it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

If the glass guy can duplicate the slight curve with no problem, I will
route a dado after the face frames are glued up; if not, I'll give him a
square, routed out area on the back of the top rails that will accept a
rectangular piece of glass.

Unless you are requesting tempered glass, it quite easy to cut curves
in float glass. I know a guy who can freehand it. I can do it with
guidelines, and I _know_ you could too. Give him a template or the
frame and it should be no problem at all. Besides, curved glass looks
so much more eloquent when opeing the door.

I wish I knew, because I have the bottom doors glued up and drying and I'm
twiddling my thumbs as we speak.

I'm waiting on glue to dry... Again...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 4:21 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

What I was after (I didn't ask it clearly,) was, do you use points,
silicon, or small wood trim pieces to hold in the glass?

On square glass kitchen doors with a single pane and no muntins, I generally
use a rabbeted face frame (not dado, sorry) and silicon.

For a piece of furniture, both judiciously applied silicon to stop the
rattle, and wood trim, attached with pins.

I have yet to see an 'elegant' way to do that which doesn't involve
hours of making and mounting moulding strips.

Since there are gently curved rails at the top of each glass door that mimic
the base of the cabinet, I'm undecided which avenue I will take on these
glass doors.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab20.jpg

AHHHA!! That was a drive-by... that shop door is OPEN!!
You suck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

AHHHA!! That was a drive-by... that shop door is OPEN!!
You suck.

LMAO ... it 80 g(*%&()*m degrees outside here, Bubba. Eat your heart out!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy said:

On Dec 9, 4:21 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
Since there are gently curved rails at the top of each glass door that mimic
the base of the cabinet, I'm undecided which avenue I will take on these
glass doors.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab20.jpg

AHHHA!! That was a drive-by... that shop door is OPEN!!
You suck.

Well then you'll love this, Rob. I blew out the shop this morning with
a leaf blower. It's 74 degrees right now. Predicted 76 tomorrow.
Down side is the 7 months of swealtering heat and humidity in summer
(yet we're in a drought), and the scant two weeks of spring and fall.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

When you have time, give Long Road Out Of Eden a listen. Took me 4-5
tries to have it work for me...but them Eagles are the epitomy of
slick.

era guitar. Seven minutes, though, is a long time to sing about doing
****-all.
====
LOL.
As a guy who has worked both sides of the glass in the studio, you'll
appreciate the art. Can there be a recording that is 'too well done?"

Not on the "recording" end, IMO. It's like wooddorking, you shoot for the
moon and hit the top of your Keds, on a good day ... and you can always try
to polish at turd/song, providing you can get a firm grasp on the clean end.

I saw an interview with Walsh the other day and it looked interesting ...
thanks for the heads-up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote

Unless you are requesting tempered glass, it quite easy to cut curves
in float glass. I know a guy who can freehand it. I can do it with
guidelines, and I _know_ you could too. Give him a template or the
frame and it should be no problem at all. Besides, curved glass looks
so much more eloquent when opeing the door.

I agree ... and it's so much easier to run a router with a bearing bit and
then square up the corners than trying to blind cut stopped dadoes.

Never stopped to think about why, but I have an aversion to working
with/handling glass ... simply don't want to touch the stuff, therefore the
complete ignorance on the subject.

Pretty much the same way about plumbing ... I can do anything in
construction, from foundations to roofing, but I won't even replace a faucet
washer without a gun to my head.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 15:31:44 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest.

A sweaty pile of woodworkers, what an image! G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

I don't want to be maudlin, nor do I
want to embarrass anyone, but I do want
to show my appreciation for the
contribution that you and many others
make to the forum, both in text and
webpages.

Thank you very much for those kind words! I'm glad you get some use of the
site. I enjoy, and benefit from, keeping the webpage updated, it serves a
secondary function of helping me overcome CRS these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

Unless you are requesting tempered glass, it quite easy to cut curves
in float glass. I know a guy who can freehand it. I can do it with
guidelines, and I _know_ you could too. Give him a template or the
frame and it should be no problem at all. Besides, curved glass looks
so much more eloquent when opeing the door.

I agree ... and it's so much easier to run a router with a bearing bit and
then square up the corners than trying to blind cut stopped dadoes.

Would never consider trapping glass in a dado unless one rail
unscrewed, but you are right about the bearing bit. The best part is
that you have no worries about the corners lining up evenly due to
inaccuracies in the positioning of the cuts on the individual sticks.
Or something like that...

Never stopped to think about why, but I have an aversion to working
with/handling glass ... simply don't want to touch the stuff, therefore the
complete ignorance on the subject.

Odd, considering your breadth of experience; but to each to his own.
It's _really_ easy, however. Just watch the edges. You can get thin
float glass on a Sunday from the Borg and cut it in minutes. Even
knock off the edges with emory cloth and sandblast patterns with a
simple thin rubber mask cut with an Xacto knife. All kinds of neat
stuff you can do with glass fairly easily. Just not barefooted.

Pretty much the same way about plumbing ... I can do anything in
construction, from foundations to roofing, but I won't even replace a faucet
washer without a gun to my head.

I pass on the foundations due to the degree of humping involved,
roofing due to the monotony (and the humping), but electrical and
plumbing are OK. But that's me. I can't play the trumpet either.
Even with a gun to my head.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 5:47 pm, Greg wrote:
Robatoy said:

On Dec 9, 4:21 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
Since there are gently curved rails at the top of each glass door that mimic
the base of the cabinet, I'm undecided which avenue I will take on these
glass doors.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab20.jpg

AHHHA!! That was a drive-by... that shop door is OPEN!!
You suck.

Well then you'll love this, Rob. I blew out the shop this morning with
a leaf blower. It's 74 degrees right now. Predicted 76 tomorrow.
Down side is the 7 months of swealtering heat and humidity in summer
(yet we're in a drought), and the scant two weeks of spring and fall.

Greg G.

Then it begs to be said again: YOU suck as well then...

I don't mind 'winter' as such.. even when it get really cold and
snowy. That is what winter is, you dress for it, block heaters and
that sort of stuff.
It is that just-below freezing, chilly winds with some wetness that
can't be described as either rain sleet or snow...that's the crap that
gets to me.
Angela and I actually invested in a two-zone electric blanket this
year... with pre-heat. I may have been a waffle in a previous life.
Good thing that blanket has a 10-hour auto shutoff. Now we have
reprogrammed the thermostat for lower night temperatures and have the
window open a crack for that crisp Canadian air.

Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 4 January 5th 07 11:27 PM
work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 January 1st 07 12:01 AM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM
Work in Progress 3 Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 September 12th 06 01:38 PM