Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any DW 734 Planer comments?

Hi Gang,
I read very few complaints about the Dewalt DW734 planer, but most of
them seemed to be quality control errors. A stripped bolt, dull blades etc.
Has anyone on the wreck had any experience with this planer? I should
get it in a week or two, what should I look for when I unpack it?

This is a fantastic resource for the newer wood workers!
Thanks in advance.

Andy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 10:14 am, Andy H wrote:
Hi Gang,
I read very few complaints about the Dewalt DW734 planer, but most of
them seemed to be quality control errors. A stripped bolt, dull blades etc.
Has anyone on the wreck had any experience with this planer? I should
get it in a week or two, what should I look for when I unpack it?

This is a fantastic resource for the newer wood workers!
Thanks in advance.

Andy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::

Andy,

I have that same planer, have been using it for almost three years now
and not one single problem, havent even had to have it tuned up yet.
I bet I have changed the blades four or five times and run well over
1000 bf of lumber through it. Has been a very good tool for the
price, though it hasnt taken me long to outgrow it. As soon as i get
the $$$ will be buying 20in Grizzly to match the rest of my shop.
Good luck, I think you'll be satisfied. As a recommendation....never
buy your blades from the retailers they'll cost you $50 a set. I
watch for em on Ebay, and usually score them for around $20 Good luck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy H wrote:
Hi Gang,
I read very few complaints about the Dewalt DW734 planer, but most
of them seemed to be quality control errors. A stripped bolt, dull
blades etc.
Has anyone on the wreck had any experience with this planer? I
should get it in a week or two, what should I look for when I unpack it?

This is a fantastic resource for the newer wood workers!
Thanks in advance.

Andy

I have the 733 which I think is the earlier 2 blade version of the same
machine. It's done me good but two comments. This is by far the
noisiest machine I own. It drowns out the screaming banshee so GOOD ear
protection is a must. Second, if you are planing boards wider than
about 2 1/2" then you need a good 4" hose into your dust collector. I
put a reducer on mine so I could use my shop vac for dust collection and
that reducer clogs in the first couple of seconds.

Ok, three comments. You hear a lot about snipe on planers. All
planers. I rarely have snipe. All I do is support the wood coming out
of the planer so that the weight of the board is supported to keep it
form "hanging" off the end of the tables. On longer pieces you can even
lift the board SLIGHTLY.

But notice that I said I RARELY have snipe. Still a good ideer to have
extra material just in case.

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking
jd jd is offline

I have to disagree with the other comments. This machine is at best a toy.

I finally had to replace my old delta 12" planer after 12 years of heavy
use, it finally dies. The DW 734 was supposedly the "best" 12" planer on the
market, so I picked on up. It absolutely sucks. here's my experience so far
(I've had it for a couple of years now)

out of the box - missing parts, customer service very time consuming, and
required multiple calls to get the missing parts sent. Had three separate
promises to ship parts, they weren't actually shipped until the third time
(took over a month to get the missing parts)

basic adjustment was OK out of the box, but not great. spend a couple hours
tuning it up, and it is a lot better.

snipe, DC hook up etc are about the same as anything else I've used in the
12" size range.

blades dull almost instantly, are very expensive to replace. don't bother
trying to work with anything with figure, and if you are working hardwoods,
expect to replace blades almost daily.

lacks power - a decent drum sander will remove stock faster than this will -
especially on wide boards. If you make a habit of working on anything over
6" wide, expect to take truly miniscule cuts. Even with that, expect it to
overheat and stall on a regular basis. I typically take cuts at about 1/128
(according the scale on the dial). In hard maple, 8" wide, I can get through
about 4 1/2 feet of stock before it stalls.

If you actually hook up to a permanent dust collector system, changing
blades is a PITA becaus of the way the chute is designed.

Loud does not even begin to describe this machine.

This thing is so crappy that I actually prefer to use my drum sander for
flattening and thicknessing. I save the planer for dealing with pine and
other softwoods that would gum up the sander.

If you are looking for something to occasionally run a small board through,
it may be OK. For any real use, its simply a waste of money, time and space.

"Andy H" wrote in message
Hi Gang,
I read very few complaints about the Dewalt DW734 planer, but most of them
seemed to be quality control errors. A stripped bolt, dull blades etc.
Has anyone on the wreck had any experience with this planer? I should get
it in a week or two, what should I look for when I unpack it?

This is a fantastic resource for the newer wood workers!
Thanks in advance.

Andy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::

Posted to rec.woodworking

jd wrote:
[...]

Wow. About all I can say to that is you got a lemon. I have had no
problems like you describe except the noise with my 733.

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking

NoOne N Particular wrote:
I have had no
problems like you describe except the noise with my 733.

Same here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 8:40 am, "jd" wrote:
I have to disagree with the other comments. This machine is at best a toy.

I finally had to replace my old delta 12" planer after 12 years of heavy
use, it finally dies. The DW 734 was supposedly the "best" 12" planer on the
market, so I picked on up. It absolutely sucks. here's my experience so far
(I've had it for a couple of years now)

out of the box - missing parts, customer service very time consuming, and
required multiple calls to get the missing parts sent. Had three separate
promises to ship parts, they weren't actually shipped until the third time
(took over a month to get the missing parts)

I've got one. I had no missing parts. It comes almost fully
assembled. Very strange.

basic adjustment was OK out of the box, but not great. spend a couple hours
tuning it up, and it is a lot better.

Mine was excellent, but it's now in need of a tune. Definitely
doesn't hold as well as a bigger planer.

snipe, DC hook up etc are about the same as anything else I've used in the
12" size range.

I've got the in/outfeed tables and get almost none ever.

blades dull almost instantly, are very expensive to replace. don't bother
trying to work with anything with figure, and if you are working hardwoods,
expect to replace blades almost daily.

Yeah, the blades are definitely pricey. You'll want to go to eBay for
sure. I'm up in the air as to how fast they dull. It seems too quick
relative to other planers I've used. What's weird is that I use Esta
(Dispoz-a-blade) knives all the time and they are really, really
good. And these appear to be identical. Perhaps they use cheaper
steel, or they don't hone to as high a grit. That said, I think I'd
have to be really pushing some stock through to have to change the
blades daily. This isn't a production level machine.

lacks power - a decent drum sander will remove stock faster than this will -
especially on wide boards. If you make a habit of working on anything over
6" wide, expect to take truly miniscule cuts. Even with that, expect it to
overheat and stall on a regular basis. I typically take cuts at about 1/128
(according the scale on the dial). In hard maple, 8" wide, I can get through
about 4 1/2 feet of stock before it stalls.

That's not my experience. I've run a lot of maple through mine, as
well as beech, birch and even jarrah and karri wood. You can't hog
off material, but I routinely take off close to a 32nd a pass.

If you actually hook up to a permanent dust collector system, changing
blades is a PITA becaus of the way the chute is designed.

Feh.

Loud does not even begin to describe this machine.

Oh yeah - it's really, SCREAMINGLY loud! Put in some plugs and then
put on your earmuffs for sure.

This thing is so crappy that I actually prefer to use my drum sander for
flattening and thicknessing. I save the planer for dealing with pine and
other softwoods that would gum up the sander.

If you are looking for something to occasionally run a small board through,
it may be OK. For any real use, its simply a waste of money, time and space.

Space? It's like 18" square! Now weight - that's a different story.
This thing is definitely dense, so you don't want to be lugging it
around too much.

JP