Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Milwaukee 5625 Router

I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this router in a router
table using the T handle to adjust height rather than a router lift
mechanism. There's a really negative review on Amazon referring to a
split nut that has failed. Other reviews are positive. If this
mechanism is really a problem, I'll go with a lift mechanism but I
really like the specs of the 5625 including a speed control for large
diameter bits. Also, it's not clear to me but does a 1/4" collet come
with it?

The use is for general purpose routing in furniture building. Mostly
hardwoods but not exclusively.
Posted to rec.woodworking

All of the up/down integrated adjusters are sloppy and yield
satisfactory but not accurate depth changes.
This holds true whether the router is upside down or right side (as
designed).
Milwaukee 5625/15 etc. are no better or worse than the competition.
Their 1/2 nut is quick to release and their acme drive screw is fast,
rough & sloppy.
If the depth of cut is critical you might consider a lift but you're
only trading adversities.
You still have to manage the east/west of depth of cut, ad infinitum.
******************************* http://patwarner.com
************Routers*************

On Nov 21, 9:41 am, wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this router in a router
table using the T handle to adjust height rather than a router lift
mechanism. There's a really negative review on Amazon referring to a
split nut that has failed. Other reviews are positive. If this
mechanism is really a problem, I'll go with a lift mechanism but I
really like the specs of the 5625 including a speed control for large
diameter bits. Also, it's not clear to me but does a 1/4" collet come
with it?

The use is for general purpose routing in furniture building. Mostly
hardwoods but not exclusively.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this router in a router
table using the T handle to adjust height rather than a router lift
mechanism. There's a really negative review on Amazon referring to a
split nut that has failed. Other reviews are positive. If this
mechanism is really a problem, I'll go with a lift mechanism but I
really like the specs of the 5625 including a speed control for large
diameter bits. Also, it's not clear to me but does a 1/4" collet come
with it?

The use is for general purpose routing in furniture building. Mostly
hardwoods but not exclusively.

I have that router and am well pleased with it. I have read the reviews at
Amazon. If I may make the observation, it seems with a lot of the reviews on
many of the products, problems stem in many cases from operator error. I
even chuckle at some of the comments.
I have not had any problems with the switch but I use an auxiliary switch on
the table.
The "split nut" is indeed plastic but I suspect that users who have had
trouble with it have abused it. ("dropping" the motor into the base, etc)
Since I don't operate a production shop where time is of the essence, I take
a little better care of tools.
The 1/4" collet did *not* come with the router. It was $20.00 extra. (from
Amazon)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 02:01:50 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

I have that router and am well pleased with it. I have read the reviews at
Amazon. If I may make the observation, it seems with a lot of the reviews on
many of the products, problems stem in many cases from operator error. I
even chuckle at some of the comments.

I've often read reviews on Amazon and wondered if the writer had
actually read the manual for the tool. The 5625 router reviews don't
look that out there, compared to some Amazon reviews I've seen.

Off the top of my memory:
- The guy who said it was the fault of his new Forrest WWII that he
got kick back with 1/4" pine
- The guy who couldn't keep a Flexeel hose from tangling around his
feet.
- The guy who complained that a Fuji spray gun replacement parts kit
only fit Fuji spray guns, and not other brands.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this router in a router
table using the T handle to adjust height rather than a router lift
mechanism. There's a really negative review on Amazon referring to a
split nut that has failed. Other reviews are positive. If this
mechanism is really a problem, I'll go with a lift mechanism but I
really like the specs of the 5625 including a speed control for large
diameter bits. Also, it's not clear to me but does a 1/4" collet come
with it?

The use is for general purpose routing in furniture building. Mostly
hardwoods but not exclusively.

Boy, for use on furniture I would no want to rely on the less-accurate
adjustment on any router. The router lifts are well worth the expenditure.
Regarding the 'reviews', you have to take some with a grain of salt because
they are not reasonable or if they read too much like a rant rather than a
statement of fact. I also don't get too concerned when there is only one
complaint about a particular fault. I take them as a whole and average it
out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 12:41 pm, wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this router in a router
table using the T handle to adjust height rather than a router lift
mechanism. There's a really negative review on Amazon referring to a
split nut that has failed. Other reviews are positive. If this
mechanism is really a problem, I'll go with a lift mechanism but I
really like the specs of the 5625 including a speed control for large
diameter bits. Also, it's not clear to me but does a 1/4" collet come
with it?

The use is for general purpose routing in furniture building. Mostly
hardwoods but not exclusively.

I have 3 Milwaukee routers. I work them to death on solid surface
countertop production but only in those areas where precise work needs
to be done. The bull-work I hand to the Hitachi MV12's which do NOT
want to break down. The 5625 is head and shoulders above the current
rash of Porter Cable 'production' routers.
You can't go wrong buying a Milwaukee router. The bulk of my tools are
Milwaukee red, but there's are a few black/lime green pieces around
too.

If I had to buy just ONE router, it would be the 2000 watt Festool.
but it would be a crying shame to banish that to router-table duty. I
think the big bubbly Triton would be a good value for that job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:19:45 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

Boy, for use on furniture I would no want to rely on the less-accurate
adjustment on any router. The router lifts are well worth the expenditure.

For a plunge router, that may be true, and lifts may be worth the
money for many reasons. My table uses a straight base, as opposed to
a plunge base, and I have yet to see a situation where the adjustment
wasn't plenty accurate for nice furniture.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

I've often read reviews on Amazon and wondered if the writer had
actually read the manual for the tool. The 5625 router reviews don't
look that out there, compared to some Amazon reviews I've seen.

Off the top of my memory:
- The guy who said it was the fault of his new Forrest WWII that he
got kick back with 1/4" pine
- The guy who couldn't keep a Flexeel hose from tangling around his
feet.
- The guy who complained that a Fuji spray gun replacement parts kit
only fit Fuji spray guns, and not other brands.

LOL, Yup, that's what I mean.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've abut decided on the Milwaukee as the router for Norm's station
but haven't found a pre drilled table insert for it. So, I'll go with
a blank insert and drill to suit. I've found a variety of blanks and
wonder if one is better than another.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote

I've abut decided on the Milwaukee as the router for Norm's station
but haven't found a pre drilled table insert for it. So, I'll go with
a blank insert and drill to suit. I've found a variety of blanks and
wonder if one is better than another.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I used phenolic for a table I built prior to the Norm style that I recently
completed.
I'm using the aluminum plates from Rockler now.
(I have 2 plates, one for the Milwaukee 5625 and one for a Hitachi M12V.)
Works well for me.

Max