Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trite Complaint

I suspect we've all been here at one time or another.

I went to Lowe's with the idea of buying a Porter Cable compact belt
sander ( 2 1/2" x 14" belts). I first checked the bin for
replacement belts, but they didn't have any. The aisle associate
checked the computer and assured me they were coming in on the next
truck. However he wasn't sure if they expected one belt or one package
of belts.

I voted with my feet.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"GROVER" wrote in message
I suspect we've all been here at one time or another.

I went to Lowe's with the idea of buying a Porter Cable compact belt
sander ( 2 1/2" x 14" belts). I first checked the bin for
replacement belts, but they didn't have any. The aisle associate
checked the computer and assured me they were coming in on the next
truck. However he wasn't sure if they expected one belt or one package
of belts.

I voted with my feet.

Joe G

"The *truck* is coming... there may be *a* belt on it."

methinks your feet voted correctly.

Joe C

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 10:35 am, GROVER wrote:

I suspect we've all been here at one time or another.

Too many times.

I voted with my feet.

I started voting with my ass a long time ago. I don't get off it to
go to one of these places without verification. My expectations of
these places are soooo damn low that I wouldn't drive to any of them
without calling first. Even that doesn't assure they have what you
are looking for (even when they tell you they have it) but if you get
a name they seem to be more inclined to remember to "double check"
before you hang up.

And with consumables, when practical I find myself buying more and
more on the 'net. Delivered to the door, better pricing, saves gas,
etc.

I look at it this way; a belt may cost $2.50, but the gas to get me
there and back is $5. So the belt really costs $7.50. Ouch.

So if I can't wait to get something like that online, then I usually
buy 3or 4 in different grits, not just one. That way I make sure I
have them on hand and don't have to quit working to go get them on top
of the expense..

And as alluded to, not much ****es me off more than to go to one of
the warehouse stores only to find that they don't have a staple of
construction like a common sized sanding belt. In this case for me, a
little preparation is self defense towards keeping my blood pressure
down.

YMMV.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Too many times.

I started voting with my ass a long time ago. I don't get off it to
go to one of these places without verification.

That makes two of us.

Would never even consider relying on a big box store for consumable
items with the exception of deck screws which for me, are only a
temporary fastener.

For the most part, their lumber is garbage.

Have a very good local hardware store that is willing to stock small
quantities and order larger quantities, selling at competitive prices.

Harbor Freight for consumables from China when on sale.

Otherwise, it net shopping time.

Buying in standard quantities insures market level prices as well as
having the item in my own stock when I need it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Ryobi 4 x 36 belt/disk sander that I bought at Home Depot about
5 years ago. Went there to buy replacement belts for it - and they
didn't carry that size. They were still selling the sander, but no
belts for it. Weird. It seemed very odd to me that they don't carry
supplies for their own products.

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

I voted with my feet.

Luckily, I've got Coastal, Tools Plus, Western Tool, Brian's Tools, and
a Woodcraft. No need for BORG's to buy tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
GROVER wrote:

I voted with my feet.

Luckily, I've got Coastal, Tools Plus, Western Tool, Brian's Tools,
and a Woodcraft. No need for BORG's to buy tools.

Never heard of Western Tool before this. Have to check them out.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Never heard of Western Tool before this. Have to check them out.

WT bought some New England Woodworker's Warehouse stores. A pretty good
store, reminding me a lot of the old WWW. Kind of in-between Coastal's
heavy contractor orientation, and Woodcraft's focus on finer woodworking.

WT stocks Mirka abrasives, which draws me to Old Saybrook on a regular
basis.