Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Parts $$$

refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants $65 for
the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps. Seems
like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better sources than
Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RM MS wrote:
refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants $65 for
the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps. Seems
like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better sources than
Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

They got the parts, you want the parts.

A new Searz RAS runs about $650. Comes with the manual and all the
parts - I like mine (2 years old). You make the choice - $650 or $90 or
cruise the net. No matter the choice, some/lots of assembly/setup
required.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RM MS wrote:
refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants $65 for
the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps. Seems
like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better sources than
Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

You can try taking the bearings to a local bearing supply store to see
if they match a standard part or not. Look in your local yellow pages
for bearings. The clamps are probably a custom part. Maybe with a
torch and some metal you could make your own?

A year or so ago I added a portable torch and a wire feed welder to my
tool set and now I wonder how I got by for so long without being able to
do basic metalworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey RM MS,
This suggestion will not get you the bearings but if I recall properly
you get a new table and clamps from Emerson Tool Company if your saw
is on the list of Craftsman Radial Arm Saws involved in the "recall"
program. I took advantage of it and got the stuff including a very
nice blade guard.
I deleted the original link but I just did a search for "radial arm
saw recall and got this website. See if it will help you get the
clamps.
Marc

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/faq.asp
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any good bearing house should have the bearings, usually less than
$5 each. Doing your own table clamps might require welding or
tapping and some ingenuity.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"RM MS" wrote in message
refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants
$65 for
the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps.
Seems
like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better sources
than
Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RM MS,

Take a look at the following link:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=222

It indicates that your RAS was made by Emerson. You can try contacting
Emerson Tool for a manual, which may help you obtain the parts you are
trying to find.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

"RM MS" wrote in message
refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants $65 for
the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps. Seems
like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better sources than
Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"They got the parts, you want the parts.
A new Searz RAS runs about $650. Comes with the manual and all the parts
- I like mine (2 years old). You make the choice - $650 or $90 or cruise
the net. No matter the choice, some/lots of assembly/setup required."

Thank you for your less than considerate and completely un-informative
reply. I have had a 1960's RAS in my home shop for many years, and am a
professional woodworker as my sole livelihood (and a very fruitful one)
since 1980, daily using power tools that make yours look like kids'
toys. I am cleaning up the 70's saw as a gift for my retired father. The
simple question, again, was: is anybody aware of a cheaper source of
parts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Parts $$$ to John Homer

Thanks, John, I agree about the clamps, After sleepng on it, I came up
with a simple design to make them very smply myself. Will look into the
bearing shop option, thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RM MS wrote:
"They got the parts, you want the parts.
A new Searz RAS runs about $650. Comes with the manual and all the parts
- I like mine (2 years old). You make the choice - $650 or $90 or cruise
the net. No matter the choice, some/lots of assembly/setup required."

Thank you for your less than considerate and completely un-informative
reply. I have had a 1960's RAS in my home shop for many years, and am a
professional woodworker as my sole livelihood (and a very fruitful one)
since 1980, daily using power tools that make yours look like kids'
toys. I am cleaning up the 70's saw as a gift for my retired father. The
simple question, again, was: is anybody aware of a cheaper source of
parts?

Well, I thought that pointing out that $90 vs $650 would put things in
perspective, but maybe if you had given some idea of you upper limit
you're willing to spend on your retired father...

As for me, it wouldn't bother me at all to pay $90 in parts to restore
an otherwise good '70's RAS, or a whole lot more on a gift for my father
(which I did many times when he was alive as he made it to 89).

As far as RAS usage, I also have had several, the first in 1971, and
lately a 2004 Craftsman as all the smoke leaked out of the '71
PowrCraft. Being retired myself, I've upgraded to a good tablesaw and
added a jointer and planer in the last few years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Clamps were made last night in about a half-hour from 3/4" hex stock and
long 1/4" flathed screws, some drilling and tapping,. Works perfectly,
kept $ 26 +shipping in my pocket

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Makes me glad I didn't respond . . "

But sir, you did.

"You make the choice - $650 or $90 or cruise the net. No matter the
choice, some/lots of assembly/setup required."

I already did, and wasn't asking for your risk assessment, just a set of
bearings, remember?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RM MS wrote:
Clamps were made last night in about a half-hour from 3/4" hex stock and
long 1/4" flathed screws, some drilling and tapping,. Works perfectly,
kept $ 26 +shipping in my pocket

Did you have everything in stock, or did you have to go get any of the
materials?

If you had it all, nice job! I never do, and I definitely don't have
kex stock, so I need to count the time and other expenses to go get the
stuff. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Horner wrote:
RM MS wrote:
refurbishing a 1973 used Craftsman RAS, 113.29461, Sears wants $65
for the set of carriage bearings, and $12.50 each for table clamps.
Seems like a lot to me. Also would like a manual. Any better
sources
than Parts Direct? Email welcome, thanks.

You can try taking the bearings to a local bearing supply store to
see
if they match a standard part or not. Look in your local yellow
pages
for bearings. The clamps are probably a custom part. Maybe with a
torch and some metal you could make your own?

A year or so ago I added a portable torch and a wire feed welder to
my
tool set and now I wonder how I got by for so long without being
able
to do basic metalworking.

Just for general reference, this is a carriage bearing for a Craftsman
RAS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3938372...7603248463836/

Note the flange, into which the bearing proper is pressed. The
bearing itself one can probably find off the shelf somewhere, but the
flange would be unique to the saw. If you've got a press and the
right mandrels then swapping the bearings shouldn't be a problem, if
not, if you have to pay someone to do it, then I'm not sure you end up
much ahead by getting the bearings alone.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"That which is below your comment wasn't me."

______No, it was me, pay attention.___________And, by the way, you are
right, dammit, webtv DOES seem to draw out the crabbiness of al you
f_ckers, what's up w/that?

The "makes me glad..." was contained in my first, and to that point,
only post and it merely raised the question of crankiness among
webtv'ers and expressed my relief at not having addressed your original
quandry. Both conditions still obtain. This clarification now concludes
any interpretation of my participation in this thread."

Bla, bla bla, thank you Professor Irwin Corey for that elegant
clarification.

BTW, anybody found them bearings for me yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Did you have everything in stock, or did you have to go get any of the
materials?
If you had it all, nice job! I never do, and I definitely don't have kex
stock, so I need to count the time and other expenses to go get the
stuff. G"

Yes, all materials were readily available, which def. cuts down the
aggravation factor. Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Note the flange . . ."

You are correct, and although I have the press, etc., turns out one of
the flanges is split, so we'l buy the whole kit with new axles,
eccentrics, related. Thanks for the input- Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan says "Any good bearing house should have the bearings, usually less
than $5 each. Doing your own table clamps might require welding or
tapping and some ingenuity."
Dan. I see in the books that the bearings have generic #'s which are
fairly common. I already made the table clamps, see post below in
group--Bob