Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1 phase v 3 phase powermatic tablesaw

I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

Thanks.

Trent
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote in message
I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

Thanks.

Trent

Typical residential power in the USA is single phase. If your shop is in a
commercial building you may have three phase. Do you have any 4 pole outlets
mounted anywhere? If you do you probably have three phase power.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 10:03 pm, Trent wrote:
I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

Thanks.

Trent

if you don't know what 3 phase power is I'd say it's a safe bet you
don't have any. get the single phase machine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Trent wrote:
I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am
not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

If you don't have three phase power you can't use a three phase tool
(at least not without going to a lot of extra work). If you don't
know whether you have three phase then it's almost certain that you
don't.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Trent" wrote in message
I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

Thanks.

Trent

Typical residential power in the USA is single phase. If your shop is in a
commercial building you may have three phase. Do you have any 4 pole outlets
mounted anywhere? If you do you probably have three phase power.
Greg

You are looking for a receptacle that looks something like this in the
building to indicate you have 3 phase power -

http://www.drillspot.com/products/12..._Pin-Sleeve-Re
ceptacle

If you do not have any outlets that take a 4 pin cord, you probably do
not have 3 phase power available. If you have overhead wiring - count
the number of wires that run from the pole to the building - if it is
not at least 3 coated wires (typically black) then you do not have 3
phase power. If you are in a residential neighborhood you probably do
not have 3 phase power.

My utility charges by the mile from the end of the feeder to the home
for 3 phase power to be installed - believe me you do not want to know
the price.

If you need 3 phase power there are motor-generator sets available that
will convert 1 phase to 3 phase. A good place to look (not to buy - I
have never worked with them) at the specs for phase converter systems is:

http://www.phaseconverter.com/

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:21:28 -0600, "Greg O"

Typical residential power in the USA is single phase. If your shop is in a
commercial building you may have three phase. Do you have any 4 pole outlets
mounted anywhere? If you do you probably have three phase power.
Greg

Actually, you typically have 2 phase power into residence. 120 V on
two legs of a 3 phase system. This allows you to run phase to phase
(208V) like on some electric heaters, or 240V (120 x2) for an electric
stove. Depending on location, you can get the third wire to give
you 3 phase, but be prepared to pay the big bucks.

If the shop is 'residential' there will likely only be 2 phase power
and you can confirm this my looking at how many wires enter the mast
just before the meter on the building. 3 wires is 2 phase (2
power-one common)

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
[...]

Around here residential is single phase. Line to line is 240 volt, line to
neutral is 120 volt.
I have never heard of what you describe in a residential setting. I question
if you are certain about what you describe. How do you get 208, and 240 out
of one service, never seen it without additional transformers. 208 volt 3
phase will get you 120 to neutral. We see it all the time in commercial
buildings. We used see some 240 3 phase commercially, but it seems to have
been replaced with 208 3 phase.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:21:28 -0600, "Greg O"

Actually, you typically have 2 phase power into residence. 120 V on
two legs of a 3 phase system.

Single phase, center tapped.

If the shop is 'residential' there will likely only be 2 phase power
and you can confirm this my looking at how many wires enter the mast
just before the meter on the building. 3 wires is 2 phase (2
power-one common)

Single phase power. Two hot legs from a transformer and a center tap which
you tie to ground in your panel.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
[...]

Um, no. In the US, residential electric service is almost exclusively
single phase. By tapping the secondary on the (single phase) transformer
appropriately, you get two hot legs that are 180 degrees out of phase w.r.t.
each other, plus a neutral. Hot-to-hot = 240V, hot-to-neutral = 120V.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look out side & see if 3 transformers are on pole supplying your
building,it takes 3

Jr.