Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman Doug Houseman is offline

Default 1 phase v 3 phase powermatic tablesaw

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Trent" wrote in message
I am looking at purchasing the Powermatic 2000 tablesaw, but I am not
sure of the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase. The descriptions
both say they are 5 HP. My shop is currently wired with 240v, 20 amp
and 30 amp plugs.

Thanks.

Trent

Typical residential power in the USA is single phase. If your shop is in a
commercial building you may have three phase. Do you have any 4 pole outlets
mounted anywhere? If you do you probably have three phase power.
Greg

You are looking for a receptacle that looks something like this in the
building to indicate you have 3 phase power -

http://www.drillspot.com/products/12..._Pin-Sleeve-Re
ceptacle

If you do not have any outlets that take a 4 pin cord, you probably do
not have 3 phase power available. If you have overhead wiring - count
the number of wires that run from the pole to the building - if it is
not at least 3 coated wires (typically black) then you do not have 3
phase power. If you are in a residential neighborhood you probably do
not have 3 phase power.

My utility charges by the mile from the end of the feeder to the home
for 3 phase power to be installed - believe me you do not want to know
the price.

If you need 3 phase power there are motor-generator sets available that
will convert 1 phase to 3 phase. A good place to look (not to buy - I
have never worked with them) at the specs for phase converter systems is:

http://www.phaseconverter.com/

Doug