Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need Gel Stain Help

I just finished building a number of pine modules. These are quick and dirty
organizers. I have built many of them over the years for myself and others.
They are cheap, sturdy and fast to build.

I have always finished them with Watco Danish Oil Finish. Kind of a
tradition, I guess. I started using the stuff over thirty years ago and have
been using it since.

The problem is the long drying time. Or more specifically the "stink" time.
It takes awhile for that odor to go away, especially as the weather cools.

I need to install these things in a couple days after staining them. I am
thinking a gel stain may work. I want something to match or be similar in
appearance to the watco finished items. Because these modules will go in
next to the watco finished items.

I need something that is available at the hardware store or the borg. It
just has to color the wood. It doesn't have to be shiny or hard. And it
should go on in one coat. And it has be be reasonably odor free in a day or
two. This is not fine furniture. A utility grade finish is all that is
required. Price does matter, I don't want to pay big bucks for a utility
type finish.

I assume that a mainstream gel stain will do the trick. But I am a gel
finish virgin, sooo........, I am requesting any kind of imput that will
help me with this finish problem. I need something in the next day or so.

What brands have worked well for you? Any tips on applying the finish? Do
I even need to use a gel stain? Any other ideas or comments? Etc., etc??

Thank you.