Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing an old cedar chest

I have an old (circa 1948) cedar chest my dad gave my mother one
Christmas that I would like to refinish.

It is veneered (some of which is coming loose) with many "water glass
rings" where careless grandchildren sat their pop cans in later years
(mother would roll over in her grave...).

Any suggestions on how to:
1) Remove the "water glass rings"
2) Strip the finish withiout damaging the underlying veneer and inlays
would be appreciated.
3) Repair the veneer (glue back down, not replace)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would suppose around here you might have better luck getting
instructions on how to build a new one. Not an easy task and each of
these types of repairs need to consider lots o' different methods
depending on the nature and extent of the damage.

1. You can try rubbing mineral oil on the glass rings. It is usually
moisture stuck in the finish and for some reason an old wives tale
type trick of mineral oil does seem to work sometimes. Also rubbing
alcohol can work but if the finish is shellac you could have a problem
and just melt away the finish completly. Which brings me to #2.

2. Depends on what is the the original finish. If the age is correct
then it is most likely shellac or lacquer. Both of these can be
stripped with appropriate chemicals but at this age and if the piece
is veneered not a very safe operation for a non-pro. Sanding is also
an option and the only one if the finish os poly. I think only a
refinishing pro could give you an absolute idea of the existing finish
and the best method of removal.

3. Probably just glue it back down if it is just lifting up. Without
pictures or better descriptions its hard to say how. If the underlying
substrate is still good and flat and it's just glue failure then good
old yellow glue and some appropriate clamping method. If it's bubbling
in ares, very difficult to fix.

I would really suggest taking it to a pro if it is worth it. My reply
probably isn't much help but if you are in the SF Bay Area I can
pioint you to the right guy.

BW

finish for cedar chest Abe Woodworking 1 March 21st 07 12:38 PM
stain for cedar chest? Abe Woodworking 6 March 17th 07 12:03 AM
CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 06:19 AM
CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 02:05 AM
refinishing cedar panelling Hamilton Audio Home Repair 0 January 20th 05 02:32 AM