Posted to rec.woodworking
Abe Abe is offline

Default stain for cedar chest?

I'm refinishing a solid cedar chest that is probably 90 years old.
I've stripped the original finish and have sanded the entire thing a
couple times. The wood is mostly in good shape, but there are what
appear to be some water stains on the top. I want to minimize these
as much as possible. I've heard oxalic acid will help remove the
stains.

Also, I was advised that some careful application of light or diluted
stain could help even out the color on top. If so, what type of stain
would be best for cedar? I know cedar isn't usually stained, but in
the interest of cleaning up the discoloration. I still want it to
look like cedar of course, but my tastes prefer darker cedar over
light.

So my questions a

1) Can anyone confirm that oxalic acid is worth a try, and that it
won't harm unfinished wood?

2) What type of stain should I use on cedar to hide some of the
discoloration? Or is this a bad idea all around?

abe

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've used oxalic acid on oak flooring, but not on cedar. The result that I
got wasn't very favorable as it somewhat changed the texture of the wood
where it had been treated. It lightened the stain, but also changed the wood
texture so that it took stain different than the untreated area. I ended up
re-sanding the whole surface, then treated the stained area again, then I
put on a second coat of acid, but this time I treated the whole surface.
After that the staining process was much more even, but still not perfect. I
think if I was doing it all over again I wouldn't use the acid at all. I
would just sand the surface more to get as much stain out as possible and
then use a darker stain to hide what was left. It would have been and easier
job that way.

--
Charley

"Abe" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Abe Abe is offline

On Mar 14, 7:29 pm, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 6:46am (EDT-3) (Abe) doth
proclaim:
I'm refinishing a solid cedar chest that is probably 90 years old. I've
stripped the original finish and have sanded the entire thing a couple
times. snip

Well, I guess you finished any collector value it might have had.

I'd get a scrap piece of cedar and test on it. Well, not actually,
I doubt I'd want to stain cedar.

JOAT
It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That
was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.
- Clodpool

That's not really all that helpful.

It wasn't worth much beforehand. It's a nice chest, but the old
finish was black. I tried to just clean and rejuvenate, but it was
too far gone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Abe wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:29 pm, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 6:46am (EDT-3) (Abe) doth
proclaim:
I'm refinishing a solid cedar chest that is probably 90 years old.
I've stripped the original finish and have sanded the entire thing a
couple times. snip

Well, I guess you finished any collector value it might have
had.

I'd get a scrap piece of cedar and test on it. Well, not
actually, I doubt I'd want to stain cedar.

JOAT
It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning.
That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.
- Clodpool

That's not really all that helpful.

It wasn't worth much beforehand. It's a nice chest, but the old
finish was black. I tried to just clean and rejuvenate, but it was
too far gone.

He's being honest. There's no magic stain that works for every piece
for every person. Figure out what you want it to look like, find a
stain or dye or tinted topcoat that looks like it comes close, try it on
the bottom or somewhere else that will be hidden, if you like it go with
it, if you don't then try something else.

Personally I don't use much stain--generally oil brings out enough color
for me unless I'm going for an off-the-wall effect like the black-dyed
maple box I made for someone a while back. Aromatic red cedar if it's
of good quality has quit a bit of color already--if you can bring that
out then finish with something that has a UV block and there shouldn't
be much need for stain.

Get some tung oil and and some boiled linseed oil and try a little of
each in an inconspicuous spot and see what they bring out--you may get a
pleasant surprise. Note--only oil the outside--a cedar chest shouldn't
have any finish on the _inside_.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 7:35 pm, "Abe" wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:29 pm, (J T) wrote:

Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 6:46am (EDT-3) (Abe) doth
proclaim:
I'm refinishing a solid cedar chest that is probably 90 years old. I've
stripped the original finish and have sanded the entire thing a couple
times. snip

Well, I guess you finished any collector value it might have had.

I'd get a scrap piece of cedar and test on it. Well, not actually,
I doubt I'd want to stain cedar.

It wasn't worth much beforehand. It's a nice chest, but the old
finish was black. I tried to just clean and rejuvenate, but it was
too far gone.

Plenty of antique furniture has a finish (typically linseed oil based
I think) that has gone black and looks like crap. Sometimes
careful refinishing will reveal burl or curly figure with a gorgeous
patina.

But it still destroys the value. It sucks that the furniture was
worth more when it looked like crap.

Given that cedar has sort of a blotchy appearance to it, you might
consider using a stain only on part of the lid to hide the watermarks.
Staining the whole think would probably just make it look like
stained watermarks.

--

FF

CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 06:19 AM
CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 02:05 AM
Cedar Chest repair advice? Mike Reed Woodworking 2 December 1st 04 03:02 PM
INSPIRATION - SPLIT CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 March 19th 04 07:41 AM
Anybody know who carries this part (Cedar Chest Support) Dug Patrick Woodworking 3 February 16th 04 12:07 AM