Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mdf heat tolerance

I'm making a radiator cover using mdf and I plan to use glue as a
bonding agent (rather than nails and screws.) Since it will be
constantly exposed to heat, is this the right way to go? What kind of
glue would be appropriate?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm making a radiator cover using mdf and I plan to use glue as a
bonding agent (rather than nails and screws.) Since it will be
constantly exposed to heat, is this the right way to go? What kind of
glue would be appropriate?

I assume you mean for interior use. I would be concerned about the
accelerated release of the formaldehyde in the MDF--but then again, I'm
really sensitive to the stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 12, 6:11 pm, M wrote:
I'm making a radiator cover using mdf and I plan to use glue as a
bonding agent (rather than nails and screws.) Since it will be
constantly exposed to heat, is this the right way to go? What kind of
glue would be appropriate?

I've only tried yellow glue on MDF and it doesn't hold very well.
What about dowels or screws with plugs. I assume this will be painted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

'M',

Since this stuff is basically PAPER and Glue . . . I wouldn't use it
ANYWHERE near a hear source.

Even if it wouldn't be heated to the point of ignition, it would be DRIED
OUT till it was both brittle AND much more sensitive to sources of ignition.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

ups.com...