Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scale Model Airplanes

I just found this site - http://tinyurl.com/26cbh9. And seems that
their products are pretty cool. I really love collecting scale model
airplanes since I was child. And I'm planning to purchase 2 custom
made model airplanes for me and my wife. Have you ever tried
collecting this kind of scale models?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Raven wrote in news:1194853356.958362.110250
@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

I just found this site - http://tinyurl.com/26cbh9. And seems that
their products are pretty cool. I really love collecting scale model
airplanes since I was child. And I'm planning to purchase 2 custom
made model airplanes for me and my wife. Have you ever tried
collecting this kind of scale models?

While those are neat, I prefer building my own models. I spent a lot of my
youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!), and glueing
then papering the airframe. Some of them even flew! A smaller number even
flew twice! I guess it was just the times I grew up in, but model rockets
took over my interest. I still enjoy building them today, and with the
wealth of scale data and pictures available, building and launching them is
a challenge. It may seem off-topic, but there's a lot of woodworking that
goes into a model, especially if you're designing and building a scale
model that YOU make, not from a kit. Nose cones and other pieces need to
be turned to exacting specifications, fins and such need to be cut out and
shaped carefully (and with respect to grain direction), the whole thing has
to be assembled, then a finish has to be applied. Finally, the whole point
of the exercise, it has to FLY (again, at least once).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Smaug Ichorfang"wrote:

While those are neat, I prefer building my own models. I spent a lot of
my
youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!), and
glueing
then papering the airframe. Some of them even flew!

Ever build any fuel powered U-Control or FreeFlight stuff?

Unless you had an accident, they would fly more than once.Grin

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

"Smaug Ichorfang"wrote:

While those are neat, I prefer building my own models. I spent a lot
of my
youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!), and
glueing
then papering the airframe. Some of them even flew!

Ever build any fuel powered U-Control or FreeFlight stuff?

Unless you had an accident, they would fly more than once.Grin

I've built a few (not many) control-line planes. There was a trend way
back when, to build speed racer planes. I had a lot of friends that built
these.

God must have really loved my free flight planes, he kep so many of them
(grin). And my rockets either got stuck in a cloud or He's kept some of
them too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

"Smaug Ichorfang"wrote:

While those are neat, I prefer building my own models. I spent a
lot of my
youth cutting out balsa patterns (no die cut parts back then!),
and
glueing
then papering the airframe. Some of them even flew!

Ever build any fuel powered U-Control or FreeFlight stuff?

Unless you had an accident, they would fly more than once.Grin

I've built a few (not many) control-line planes. There was a trend
way back when, to build speed racer planes. I had a lot of friends
that built these.

God must have really loved my free flight planes, he kep so many of
them (grin). And my rockets either got stuck in a cloud or He's
kept
some of them too.

I think it depends on where you live. The Southwest is really the
best rocket and free flight country--few trees, lots of open space.
Midwest is OK too if you can find a friendly farmer. East coast
there's just too little open space without trees and without whiny
officious jerks (we used to fly model airplanes at the schoolyard on
Saturdays and Sundays when I was a kid until the owner of the adjacent
funeral home complained that the noise was annoying the customers and
got an ordinance passed forbidding it--if he'd tried to work out an
arrangement with us where we didn't fly on days he had funerals or
something we'd likely have been glad to cooperate, but no, he just
went right to the town council and the first any of us knew about it
was Officer Topsy running us off the field).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 12, 4:57 pm, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
[...]

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Raven wrote in
oups.com:

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Try it once, you might find you've got a certain aptitude for it. At the
very least, you'll hopefully learn what makes a plane fly and be able to
use that knowledge later.

Speaking of planes... If you have a pair of plain planes propelled across
parallel planes, can they ever crash in to each other?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Raven" wrote:

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills

and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Like most things you attempt, learning patience is the most useful
skill you will learn.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Raven wrote in
oups.com:

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Things are a lot easier now. If you just want something to fly, you can
make a plane from plastic drain pipe (the square kind) and some corrugated
plastic sign material*. If you ant to build a scale model, parts are now
die or laser cut so all you have to do is poke the pieces out of the backer
sheet and glue them together. Skills and experience are what you get from
trying to do things. Sometimes you mess up and fail. You figure out what
you did wrong and learn how not to do that, or even better, you learn how
to *correct* when you mess up. But ya gotta get out there and TRY!

google for SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Design

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many decades ago, there was an indoor model airplane driven by fly power.
The wings were covered by some sort of thin film. You poured the film on
top of a basin of water and put the wing frame underneath and lifted out
the wing complete with film. Then you caught a couple of horseflies and
put them in the refrigerator. When they were quiet you glued one to each
wing by their legs. Instant powered models :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

Many decades ago, there was an indoor model airplane driven by fly

power.
The wings were covered by some sort of thin film. You poured the

film on
top of a basin of water and put the wing frame underneath and lifted

out
the wing complete with film. Then you caught a couple of horseflies

and
put them in the refrigerator. When they were quiet you glued one to

each
wing by their legs. Instant powered models :-)

The alternate was rubber band power with a low RPM prop.

Problem was you needed a big building to fly them.

Probably where the song lyric " on gossemer wings" came from.

Lew
..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
news
Many decades ago, there was an indoor model airplane driven by fly
power. The wings were covered by some sort of thin film. You poured
the film on top of a basin of water and put the wing frame underneath
and lifted out the wing complete with film. Then you caught a couple
of horseflies and put them in the refrigerator. When they were quiet
you glued one to each wing by their legs. Instant powered models :-).

I don't know about the power source, but this construction method is called
"microfilming". The film is a form of shellac. The ones I've seen were
powered by rubber bands. There are also gliders made this way. They can
only be flown indoors because they are too fragile and a moderate breeze
would tear them apart.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:15:14 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang
wrote:

Raven wrote in
roups.com:

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Things are a lot easier now. If you just want something to fly, you can
make a plane from plastic drain pipe (the square kind) and some corrugated
plastic sign material*.

Hey, those were my combat planes, Gremlins!

Drain pipe, Coroplast tails, and a foam wing.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:18:06 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang
wrote:

(J T) wrote in news:9680-473AC803-3@storefull-
3337.bay.webtv.net:

You're no Picasso then.
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Can you imagine how an airplane designed by Picasso would look?

F-117

Or
Salvidor Dali?

B-2

I don't know how a plane with both wings on the same side
would fly, or one that was half-melted!

The F-4 proved that with enough horse power anything can fly.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 1:30 pm, Puckdropper wrote:
Raven wrote groups.com:

I also wanted to build my own model aircraft but I lack the skills and
experience. I wish I could build one of my own someday.

Try it once, you might find you've got a certain aptitude for it. At the
very least, you'll hopefully learn what makes a plane fly and be able to
use that knowledge later.

Speaking of planes... If you have a pair of plain planes propelled across
parallel planes, can they ever crash in to each other?

Puckdropper

Thank you very much.. I'll try to educate myself coz' I really want to
build my own model someday.