Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need bay window seat ideas? Photos?

Hi all,

I want a window seat for our bay window but am having huge problems
finding pictures on the internet to give me design ideas.

Do you know of any good sites? If you have any photos please can you
email me them for ideas!

I ideally will want cushions on top and storage for toy boxes
underneath - not a lift lid seat but probably cupboard doors. I am
having problems visualising the sort of front I can ask an amataur to
do whithout it looking naff, or being too tricky.

Can anyone help?!!
Many thanks
Beccie

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rebecca wrote:
Hi all,

I want a window seat for our bay window but am having huge problems
finding pictures on the internet to give me design ideas.

Do you know of any good sites? If you have any photos please can you
email me them for ideas!

I ideally will want cushions on top and storage for toy boxes
underneath - not a lift lid seat but probably cupboard doors. I am
having problems visualising the sort of front I can ask an amataur to
do whithout it looking naff, or being too tricky.

Can anyone help?!!
Many thanks
Beccie

Beccie,

I did a window seat with built ins for my daughter's room. It isn't a
bay window, but may give you some ideas. I did drawers under the seat
instead of doors.

http://home.comcast.net/~debridgeman/jebthumb.html

Hope it helps.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rebecca" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I want a window seat for our bay window but am having huge problems
finding pictures on the internet to give me design ideas.

Do you know of any good sites? If you have any photos please can you
email me them for ideas!

I ideally will want cushions on top and storage for toy boxes
underneath - not a lift lid seat but probably cupboard doors. I am
having problems visualising the sort of front I can ask an amataur to
do whithout it looking naff, or being too tricky.

Can anyone help?!!
Many thanks
Beccie

Take a look at Anderson and or Pella windows web site.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 Nov, 11:25, David Bridgeman
wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

You did a great job. It looks really good! Got me thinking...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 01:25:59 -0800, Rebecca
wrote:

I ideally will want cushions on top and storage for toy boxes
underneath - not a lift lid seat but probably cupboard doors. I am
having problems visualising the sort of front I can ask an amataur to
do whithout it looking naff, or being too tricky.

I don't have any pictures for you but I can recommend a simple method
that would be fairly easy for a novice.
If your bay is under 8' you can make the front out of 3/4" sheet
goods. Cleat the walls at your desired height and cleat the floor to
keep the front straight. Then cut the openings out of the plywood,
cut a 45 degree cut on each end and install. You will have raw
material showing on the edges of the openings unless you cover them
with something. Also,assuming you stain, all of the grain will be
running horizontally. If you can live with both of those problems,
the front will be much easier to build than a stile and rail front.

It's a little more involved than that but you get the idea.
If you don't plan to tie the seat into the windows (in the bay) be
sure to cleat far enough below the windows to get the top on and maybe
some molding depending on whether you can fit the back of the lid
along the angles. If you want to tie the seat to the windows, you may
need to remove some trim.
Put the lid on last and cover the raw edge at the front (that is now
showing) with a piece of stock routed top and bottom. The top will
stabilize the top edge of the front and since it's cleated at the
floor it will be quite strong. Add doors and finish and fill up with
stuff.

Mike O.

Daughter's Window Seat/Cabinets David Bridgeman Woodworking 2 September 14th 06 02:30 PM
Where can I buy styrofoam? is it anygood? ideas please ('replacement' window) [email protected] UK diy 5 December 12th 05 12:38 AM
WINDOW SEAT J T Woodworking 0 November 8th 05 04:16 AM
Water leak in window seat SCraig Home Repair 9 September 9th 05 05:14 AM
Custome Home Libraries - More Photos and Ideas sclymer Woodworking 0 September 24th 03 12:31 PM