Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen counter opinion

My kitchen remodel includes the removal of a drop in oven/range and
replacing with a slide in. Current opening is 29-5/16", I need 30"
for the new unit.

Checking the relationship of the counter/hood vent over to the opening
centerline, the current opening is offset 1/2" to the right. I can't
really tell by looking at it, had to drop a level to the counter
surface to measure it. In the new arrangement the right counter will
be isolated from the counter top, that is, no counter behind the stove
controls as there is now with the drop in.

So to get the approximate 3/4" I need I can move the small right side
counter over that distance. Will have to trim the bottom side to clear
the tile, that then hidden by a shoe molding. However, the new offset
top to bottom will be 1-1/4".

Will that be objectionably noticeable?

Other option is to cut 3/8" off each face frame trim piece, leave the
offset at 1/2 and have the face pieces match, much harder to do
neatly then match stain, etc... Have to do the left side in place,
don't want to tear it out.

Well in the event I've made myself clear, you kitchen counter
experts, how much have you missed dead center vent section to stove
opening, and what's really objectionable.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

I'm unclear on part of this. Is it only the countertop opening that
needs to be trimmed, or do you not have 30" of clearance between the
cabinets on either side of the stove?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:11:38 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that, The counter top is new and not complete yet. It is
not the problem. it is the cabinet itself.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:
[...]

I would center the stove directly under the hood, even if that means
having a filler strip on one side and not the other.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think because you know that the off set will be there you will notice. No
one else will care. However, cut out a piece of card board the size of the
upper vent and tape it in place and see how much it bothers you.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:46:01 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

Well, decision made. After pulling the existing drop in out I find
that the screws used to fasten the unit to the face frame of the
adjacent cabinets have made such a mess of the first 3/8" on each
side, I'm going to have to cut that much off anyway.

Nothing is easy in remodel.

Frank

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Well, decision made. After pulling the existing drop in out I find
that the screws used to fasten the unit to the face frame of the
adjacent cabinets have made such a mess of the first 3/8" on each
side, I'm going to have to cut that much off anyway.

Nothing is easy in remodel.

Part of the art of remodeling is covering up mistakes, both yours and
others.

What is difficult for me is dealing with all the screwup's compromises. I
would never do such things. But I end up fixing them. And I don't always get
to do it the way I want to either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:15:04 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Well, decision made. After pulling the existing drop in out I find
that the screws used to fasten the unit to the face frame of the
adjacent cabinets have made such a mess of the first 3/8" on each
side, I'm going to have to cut that much off anyway.

Nothing is easy in remodel.

Part of the art of remodeling is covering up mistakes, both yours and
others.

What is difficult for me is dealing with all the screwup's compromises. I
would never do such things. But I end up fixing them. And I don't always get
to do it the way I want to either.

Yep, I was looking for a shortcut that would let me leave the left
side cabinet in place so I could do the job in stages. No go. Now
I'll rip out the whole counter, take both adjacent cabinets out, take
them to the shop, turn them on their backs, neatly cut the face
frames with an edge guide and fine cut blade, blend finish the cut and
I'll have a much neater job with a little more work and time. It's my
kitchen, so the client is my wife. Better to do it right than to
listen to her opinion of my shortcut from now on.

Rather than stages, it looks like it'll be a blitzkrieg. If I don't
finish the whole job well in advance of Thanksgiving and you don't see
any posts from my you will know what happened. :~)

Frank

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:26:27 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

I'll rip out the whole counter, take both adjacent cabinets out, take
them to the shop, turn them on their backs, neatly cut the face
frames with an edge guide and fine cut blade, blend finish the cut and
I'll have a much neater job with a little more work and time.

If the side of the cabinet(s) opposite the oven doesn't show, can you
take enough off of that side so you don't have to refinish?

We've had to do a similar trick with pre-fabs when the sales guy (who
measured them) said "oh..that should fit". If we need to take some
off for width, we remove the doors and drawers and with a helper run
the cabinet edge across a joiner. A couple passes can remove quite a
bit and if needed, you can take some off of both edges. Finish is not
the best thing for joiner knives so you might not want to do this with
new knives. I try to use my partner's joiner.;-)

Rather than stages, it looks like it'll be a blitzkrieg. If I don't
finish the whole job well in advance of Thanksgiving and you don't see
any posts from my you will know what happened. :~)

Ahh.. the Holiday rush. You gotta love it.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'll rip out the whole counter, take both adjacent cabinets out, take
them to the shop, turn them on their backs, neatly cut the face
frames with an edge guide and fine cut blade, blend finish the cut and
I'll have a much neater job with a little more work and time.

If the side of the cabinet(s) opposite the oven doesn't show, can you
take enough off of that side so you don't have to refinish?

It wll be up against a black range, so even if I leave a slight white
line on the corner, I can either stain or flat black the edge
carefully and it'll be fine. I'm planning a light sand, stain touch
up at wear points, and recoat with precat lacquer anyway

We've had to do a similar trick with pre-fabs when the sales guy (who
measured them) said "oh..that should fit". If we need to take some
off for width, we remove the doors and drawers and with a helper run
the cabinet edge across a joiner. A couple passes can remove quite a
bit and if needed, you can take some off of both edges. Finish is not
the best thing for joiner knives so you might not want to do this with
new knives. I try to use my partner's joiner.;-)

Good idea. One of the cabinets fairly long, may not be able to get it
on the jointer in a stable manner.

Rather than stages, it looks like it'll be a blitzkrieg. If I don't
finish the whole job well in advance of Thanksgiving and you don't see
any posts from my you will know what happened. :~)

Ahh.. the Holiday rush. You gotta love it.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 8, 2:26 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:

It's my kitchen, so the client is my wife.

I came a little late to the party, but you have made your decision
already. The right one, I may add.

You can never escape those: 'if-I-had-only-spent-that-extra-time'
demons. They will hound you and drive you to madness...woodworking
even...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Rather than stages, it looks like it'll be a blitzkrieg. If I don't
finish the whole job well in advance of Thanksgiving and you don't see
any posts from my you will know what happened. :~)

Can I have your...Delta something?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

2 Leon do you still searching for Almod Woody 2.0?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Rather than stages, it looks like it'll be a blitzkrieg. If I don't
finish the whole job well in advance of Thanksgiving and you don't see
any posts from my you will know what happened. :~)

Can I have your...Delta something?

LOL. The goal is to survive. And that would be a whole Delta/Porter
Cable shop, with a few of my favorite other brands stuff thrown in
(Laguna, Kreg). Actually the proverbial 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack.

I'm sure if she does me in, there will be a nice auction.

Frank