Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default brad versus pin nailer - specific use

Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4"
rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous
layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and
aspen,prefinsihed.

How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2")
before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is
farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will
be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the
molding. Hope this is making sense.

The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy
one. Thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4"
rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous
layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and
aspen,prefinsihed.

How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2")
before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is
farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will
be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the
molding. Hope this is making sense.

The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy
one. Thoughts?

Not sure that you are asking a question here that couldn't be better
answered by a few trials.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4"
rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous
layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and
aspen,prefinsihed.

How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2")
before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is
farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will
be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the
molding. Hope this is making sense.

The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy
one. Thoughts?

Hard to say with out doing some experimenting. That said, the pinner will
work well and will not leave big holes to be filled. My pinner sees more
action than my brand nail gun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:13:30 -0700, cc wrote:

Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4"
rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous
layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and
aspen,prefinsihed.

How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2")
before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is
farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will
be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the
molding. Hope this is making sense.

The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy
one. Thoughts?

That's a no brainer. The solution that requirs a new toy..er..tool is
always the correct one g

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

On Nov 4, 7:31 pm, Bill wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:13:30 -0700, cc wrote:
Am putting up some self made molding, with the molding having a 1/4"
rabbit, rouhly 3/8" wide, that needs to be fastened to a previous
layer of 1/4" plywood. The molding is made of 1"x13/4" ash and
aspen,prefinsihed.

How far from the edge do I have to shoot the nail (18 gauge, 2")
before I have to worry about it blowing out the side? The grain is
farly neutral, so I would like to shoot through the rabbit, and will
be using construction glue to attach the "unrabbited" balance of the
molding. Hope this is making sense.

The ohter option is a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I would have to buy
one. Thoughts?

That's a no brainer. The solution that requirs a new toy..er..tool is
always the correct one g

Bill- Hide quoted text -

OP

I brought a cheap HF 23 gauge pin nailer, which turned out to be used
but sold as new. Stuck with my 18 gauge - good job, one blowout. I
nailed perpendicular to the grain so it would cut through versus
parallel where it would slice and be more prone to blowout. Looked
this trick up in Google - a million and one uses..

Brad nailer and oil DJA Woodworking 3 November 3rd 06 11:48 AM
Brad Nailer vs Finish Nailer Josh Woodworking 5 October 8th 04 04:17 AM
Is a finish nailer a superset of a brad nailer? jtpr Woodworking 4 September 27th 04 11:15 PM
Finish nailer/Brad nailer jasonmahoney Woodworking 10 April 30th 04 04:22 AM
Is 16 Gauge Brad Nailer Actually a Finish Nailer? Jay Chan Woodworking 3 December 28th 03 04:18 AM