Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shadowbox Design? - Uniform?

Looking for some design ideas for a military shadowbox - for my son...

My father recently gave my son several items from his military service
spanning various posts and tours: West Point (58), Iran, Korea, Vietnam
(65).

I'd like to include items from each of these spots. However, I've also
got the set of fatigues that my father was wearing when he earned one of
his purple hearts, and a semi-shredded shoulder holster from another
incident. I'd like to display these somehow in this box - but am worried
if that tips the design over into unwieldy or perhaps poorly
proportioned for a wall mount.

I just finished a desk for my daughter, and haven't spent much time
thinking about the box (just hit me this morning). In typing this, I'm
wondering if display such as this torn (and "unwashed") uniform could be
considered in poor taste... It's by no means gruesome; but there is a
bullet hole and stains. Actually, I might have to chew on that...

Feedback - including appropriateness of the display - is welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might want to ask your father, he may not want to see that on a regular
basis.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"jbd in Denver" wrote in message
05.47...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
You might want to ask your father, he may not want to see that on a

regular
basis.

An excellent, and required, suggestion!

My daughters and wife decided to surprise me with a medal/insignia display
some years ago (I was perfectly happy with the cardboard box they were in at
the bottom of a closet).

Neither they, nor the person who put the display together, had any idea
whatsoever of the significance, importance, rank, tradition, etc of any of
the items, which is a VERY important consideration in displaying any
military insignia/medals.

It took a good deal of tact to get it changed to make it presentable, and
not downright wrong and inappropriate, particularly for anyone with any
military experience who happened to see it.

It's always better to ask, particularly in this regard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 10:25 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"asmurff" wrote in message
[...]

KarlC...
I am in a similar predicament. My husband REALLY wants a shadow box
of his medals and pins. I told him that I don't know what any of it
means or how to display it. He claims that it is something a military
person should receive as a gift...but hello...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO
DISPLAY IT ALL CORRECTLY!!! Do you know if there are people/places
that will do this sort of thing? The last thing I want to do is have
it all flubbed up. For some reason, he is adamant that it be a
"surprise" gift.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

KarlC...
I am in a similar predicament. My husband REALLY wants a shadow box
of his medals and pins. I told him that I don't know what any of it
means or how to display it. He claims that it is something a military
person should receive as a gift...but hello...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO
DISPLAY IT ALL CORRECTLY!!! Do you know if there are people/places
that will do this sort of thing? The last thing I want to do is have
it all flubbed up. For some reason, he is adamant that it be a
"surprise" gift.

My initial reaction is that, in that case, he will have to put up with what
he gets.

Rest assured that, in the end, it is the sentiment that counts.

That said, I don't know anyone who you could rely upon to do the job, but
why don't you consider perhaps itemizing what you have to work with and see
of some of us here can give you a hand with regard to a display layout.

There are many veterans here and I'm certain that you could get a collective
consensus of sorts if we know what you're dealing with.

If you prefer to do it privately, my e-mail address is not that hard to
figure out. If someone else wants to jump in here...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/11/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

KarlC...
I am in a similar predicament. My husband REALLY wants a shadow box
of his medals and pins. I told him that I don't know what any of it
means or how to display it. He claims that it is something a military
person should receive as a gift...but hello...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO
DISPLAY IT ALL CORRECTLY!!! Do you know if there are people/places
that will do this sort of thing? The last thing I want to do is have
it all flubbed up. For some reason, he is adamant that it be a
"surprise" gift.

google Army uniform regulations... Navy... USAF... USMC...

I saw the Army and Navy regs, complete with drawings, order of presidence of
medals...

Good luck

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EWCM" wrote in message

KarlC...
I am in a similar predicament. My husband REALLY wants a shadow box
of his medals and pins. I told him that I don't know what any of it
means or how to display it. He claims that it is something a military
person should receive as a gift...but hello...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO
DISPLAY IT ALL CORRECTLY!!! Do you know if there are people/places
that will do this sort of thing? The last thing I want to do is have
it all flubbed up. For some reason, he is adamant that it be a
"surprise" gift.

google Army uniform regulations... Navy... USAF... USMC...

I saw the Army and Navy regs, complete with drawings, order of presidence
of medals...

Good luck

Jack

Also google Military shadow box and your city... helps if you have any
military base near you.
Call your local military recruiter office, they will probably also know a
source.
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote

The DD214 form - stays in the safe deposit box.....

Mine was recorded at the county court house ... but that's probably a breach
of "identity theft" security these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/11/07