Grant Erwin

Default allowable uniform load for steel channel?

My buddy wants to build some ramps to load a skid steer onto the back
of a flatbed. He plans to build 2 ramps, each of which is built like a
ladder. The side rails will be steel channel and the cross pieces will
be steel angle, all hot rolled, welded. He has asked my help in figuring
how light he can build it. I figure his Bobcat weighs around 4000 pounds.
I own a Ryerson Steel data book which has allowable uniform loads for
steel channels but it doesn't go down to the 4" or 3" channel he's
considering. I can't find any useful specs online, not because I haven't
googled, but because I get way too much wrong information or because I
can't think of the smart way to limit or phrase the search string.

In particular, I want to know the allowable uniform load in ksi of 4" and
3" channel, each the lightest channel made (approximately 3/16") with a
span of eight feet.

Anyone?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
ATP*

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a set of ramps for my Bobcat, which were used by the previous owner
to load a Bobcat into a dump truck. I haven't tried them yet and I'm not
sure how well they will really work or how scary the ride will be! I think
they are 11' long. I can take some measurements next time I am in my yard.

RoyJ

According to my cheat book for 'C' section channels:
Size Web Section Modulus
3"x6# .36" 1.38
3"x5# .26 1.24
3"x4.1# .17" 1.10
4"x7.25# .32 2.29
4"x5.4# .18 1.93
----------------------------
6"x8.2# .20 4.38
8"x11.5# .22" 8.14

Stength is proportional to section modulus so take whatever tables you
have and work from there. Generally, 3" is 1/3rd as strong as 6" and
1/5th as strong as 8". 4" is half as strong as 6" and 1/4th as strong as
8" YMMV.

Cheers.

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Lane

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

For what it is worth, when I worked at Boeing I asked an engineer there
basically the same question. I was building ramps for my brothers trailer. I
used 3" channel because he told me that it was sufficient for up to 6000
pounds. Hopefully this goes along with the information you're getting. Mine
was spanning approx 6 feet.

Lane

Ned Simmons

I've added another column for the Beam Resisting Moment for
A36 steel to the table below. You need to specify the
actual bending moment in service. You also need to consider
the beam's unsupported length to determine lateral
stability.

Ned Simmons

In article AtE9e.9591$yq6.3716
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
says...
According to my cheat book for 'C' section channels:
Size Web Section Modulus Beam Resisting Moment (kip-ft)
3"x6# .36" 1.38 3
3"x5# .26 1.24 2
3"x4.1# .17" 1.10 2
4"x7.25# .32 2.29 4
4"x5.4# .18 1.93 4
----------------------------
6"x8.2# .20 4.38 8
8"x11.5# .22" 8.14 15

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Grant Erwin

What do you mean by "The 8' is gonna kill you dimension wise"?

Do you mean if I build this I won't be able to lift it? Or it will be
somehow difficult to build? Or I won't be able to buy steel that long?
Or what?

GWE

DanG wrote:
Grant,
The 8' is gonna kill you dimension wise, and crawling a skid steer
that far in reverse is liable to kill someone else. Is there no
way to dovetail the back end of the rig and get down to some
conventional triangle shaped ramps?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

[...]

RoyJ

I take it to mean that 8' is a LONG span for 3" material. One way to
look at things is to take the ratio of the length divided by the channel
depth. In this case it would be 32:1 That is pretty skinny and flexible.

DanG wrote:

[...]

Bugs

The loading on this type of ramp is not uniform. It is a moving
concentrated load. Whole different [design] ballgame.
I have a pair made from 3" channel that were later beefed up with 4"
welded over them. Takes two men and a large boy to move them.G
Bugs

Grant Erwin

Bugs wrote:
The loading on this type of ramp is not uniform. It is a moving
concentrated load. Whole different [design] ballgame.

Not really. You start out figuring the uniform load (or looking it up
in a table), then you divide your max allowable load by 2 to translate
it to the worst case (load concentrated midspan) then you add your
fudge factor for dynamic loading (i.e. moving). The tables all list
uniform load, that's why I asked for that spec. Your statement is
completely correct, of course. - GWE
RoyJ

Problem is that skid steers have really quirky loading factors when you
are trying to go down a ramp in tight quarters. In this case, you would
need to figure the full load on the downward axle, the majority of that
load on one side when you correct a bit, a bit momentum hit when you try
and stop coming down the ramp, and then some factor of safety.

As for weight, if you used 4" with 2"x 3/16"x12" crosspieces, it's
still going to weigh around 12 pounds per foot or 100 pounds MINIMUM for
an 8' section.

best thing to do is see what some of the other ramps are like. This
whole calculation is so dependent on the situation that trial pieces
will be necessary to get the best balance between weight and strength.

Grant Erwin wrote:
Bugs wrote:

The loading on this type of ramp is not uniform. It is a moving
concentrated load. Whole different [design] ballgame.

Not really. You start out figuring the uniform load (or looking it up
in a table), then you divide your max allowable load by 2 to translate
it to the worst case (load concentrated midspan) then you add your
fudge factor for dynamic loading (i.e. moving). The tables all list
uniform load, that's why I asked for that spec. Your statement is
completely correct, of course. - GWE

Grant Erwin

Really good and sensible advice, Roy. I already told homey I wanted nothing
to do with building his ramps out of 3" channel. I also advised him to
forget building them 8' long, to make them 11' long. - GWE

Grant Erwin wrote:

Bugs wrote:

The loading on this type of ramp is not uniform. It is a moving
concentrated load. Whole different [design] ballgame.

Not really. You start out figuring the uniform load (or looking it up
in a table), then you divide your max allowable load by 2 to translate
it to the worst case (load concentrated midspan) then you add your
fudge factor for dynamic loading (i.e. moving). The tables all list
uniform load, that's why I asked for that spec. Your statement is
completely correct, of course. - GWE

Don't give up on the three inch channel too quickly. If I remember
correctly the stress varies as the cube of the span. So think about
having some supports that go from the ramp to the ground. The height
adjustment so they are really supporting part of the load could be
adjusting the height of the support or varying where the support
attaches to the ramp. If you have two supports per ramp, then the span
is less than 4 feet, and you gain a bit in that the support is not a
simple support too.

Dan

ATP*

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Really good and sensible advice, Roy. I already told homey I wanted
nothing
to do with building his ramps out of 3" channel. I also advised him to
forget building them 8' long, to make them 11' long. - GWE

Grant, my ramps are made out of 3/16" diamond plate steel, 10" wide on the
inside, 4" deep channel. The previous owner used them to put a 743 Bobcat
into an F350 size dump truck.

Grant Erwin wrote:

Bugs wrote:

The loading on this type of ramp is not uniform. It is a moving
concentrated load. Whole different [design] ballgame.

Not really. You start out figuring the uniform load (or looking it up
in a table), then you divide your max allowable load by 2 to translate
it to the worst case (load concentrated midspan) then you add your
fudge factor for dynamic loading (i.e. moving). The tables all list
uniform load, that's why I asked for that spec. Your statement is
completely correct, of course. - GWE

Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Car Cassette Deck-1 Channel Dead JR NORTH Electronics Repair 3 August 17th 04 09:00 PM
Followup: York heat pump replacement - quote sounds high, thoughts? Peter Drier Home Repair 5 June 26th 04 07:31 AM
Channel 3 fizzed out tRevHead Electronics Repair 1 April 2nd 04 08:35 PM