Zapp Brannigan

Default Painting Tanalised Wood.

Am about to put up a fence outside using tanalised timber planks and
posts. I figured it would be easier to paint them before I put the
fence up (well actually, get the missus to do the painting!!).

The bloke at the timber yard told me that if I use bog standard fence
panel cupronol type water based paint, it will wash straight off when it
rains, as it will not take to tanalised wood.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, what would I use?

Thanks....

--
"93.7% of all statistics are made up."

Norm Underwood

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Am about to put up a fence outside using tanalised timber planks and
posts. I figured it would be easier to paint them before I put the
fence up (well actually, get the missus to do the painting!!).

The bloke at the timber yard told me that if I use bog standard fence
panel cupronol type water based paint, it will wash straight off when

it
rains, as it will not take to tanalised wood.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, what would I use?

Thanks....

--
"93.7% of all statistics are made up."

"Tanalised" ? Isn't that the sex/yoga thing was Sting was supposed to
be into?

John Manders

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Am about to put up a fence outside using tanalised timber planks and
posts. I figured it would be easier to paint them before I put the
fence up (well actually, get the missus to do the painting!!).

The bloke at the timber yard told me that if I use bog standard fence
panel cupronol type water based paint, it will wash straight off when it
rains, as it will not take to tanalised wood.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, what would I use?

Thanks....

--
"93.7% of all statistics are made up."

I cannot see why it should. I seem to remember doing just this with
Tanalised wood but cannot be 100% sure.
Try a piece and see.
For Norm's benefit. Tanalith is a UK trade name for the treatment chemical
used when pressure treating timber. It's generic name is CCA which is Copper
Chromium Arsenic. Those are the active ingredients. They are perfectly
stable once they have dried into the woods cellular structure. However,
pressure treated wood should not be burned for disposal. I would also advise
against eating it. That may not be a likely thing for you and I to do but
don't make children's toys or dog kennels out of it.

John