Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Butt vs. Miter joints for paneling corners

I am planning on paneling a small entry hall with 1/4" oak veneer
plywood paneling (up to a height of 4 or 5 ft). Since the area is
small, I am just going to use the flat panelling with a chair rail on
top and molding on bottom (no other rails or stiles).

Question is what should I do at the corners.
- Do I use butt joints or 45 degree miter joints?
- Any secrets for getting the corners tight (and staying tight)?
(note since I will be staining, I can't just use caulk)
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Inside corners or outside corners?

For inside corners, all you need is a butt joint. And here's a hint from my
tile laying stepson: Determine which way people are looking into/walking
through the room. Locate the open joint so it is perpendicular to that
direction, so you have to turn your head to see it.

Given the realities of wood movement, the house shifting etc, I doubt that
you will EVER have a joint that is dead tight, like furniture. I'd put a
small (1/8") bevel on the edge. That way, any variation in the joint width
will be masked. When you stain it, it WILL be darker (end grain) but it
will hide any openness in the joint.

For outside corners, a miter joint isn't going to work. You have two paper
thin pieces of wood veneer coming together at a point. Every fuzzy sweater
that brushes it, is going to catch on the wood, and pull off pieces of the
veneer. And there is NO WAY that you are going to be able to cut and
install a tight miter joint 2-3' high in 1/4" plywood. Somehow, you need to
design a corner with some solid wood in it, with the plywood butting up to
it.

Advice is guaranteed until you read this.

Old Guy

"blueman" wrote in message
I am planning on paneling a small entry hall with 1/4" oak veneer
plywood paneling (up to a height of 4 or 5 ft). Since the area is
small, I am just going to use the flat panelling with a chair rail on
top and molding on bottom (no other rails or stiles).

Question is what should I do at the corners.
- Do I use butt joints or 45 degree miter joints?
- Any secrets for getting the corners tight (and staying tight)?
(note since I will be staining, I can't just use caulk)
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Old guy" wrote in message

For outside corners, a miter joint isn't going to work. You have two

paper
thin pieces of wood veneer coming together at a point. Every fuzzy

sweater
that brushes it, is going to catch on the wood, and pull off pieces of the
veneer. And there is NO WAY that you are going to be able to cut and
install a tight miter joint 2-3' high in 1/4" plywood. Somehow, you need

design a corner with some solid wood in it, with the plywood butting up to
it.

An old trick, and one that is amazingly effective _most of the time_, is to
"burnish" the edge of an outside panel miter joint with the barrel of a
screwdriver. Once a finish is applied, it makes the join invisible and
smooth ... almost always.

But to be on the safe side, you're right about using a solid wood corner in
the design, or corner trim.

Advice is guaranteed until you read this.

Ditto!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 17, 1:33 am, blueman wrote:
I am planning on paneling a small entry hall with 1/4" oak veneer
plywood paneling (up to a height of 4 or 5 ft). Since the area is
small, I am just going to use the flat panelling with a chair rail on
top and molding on bottom (no other rails or stiles).

Question is what should I do at the corners.
- Do I use butt joints or 45 degree miter joints?
- Any secrets for getting the corners tight (and staying tight)?
(note since I will be staining, I can't just use caulk)
- Any other suggestions?

Corner molding. Plywood edges don't take a beating,
especially veneer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote in :

I am planning on paneling a small entry hall with 1/4" oak veneer
plywood paneling (up to a height of 4 or 5 ft). Since the area is
small, I am just going to use the flat panelling with a chair rail on
top and molding on bottom (no other rails or stiles).

Question is what should I do at the corners.
- Do I use butt joints or 45 degree miter joints?
- Any secrets for getting the corners tight (and staying tight)?
(note since I will be staining, I can't just use caulk)
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Helpful Hint: at the inside corner, paint/stain/sharpy marker the wall
before you apply the paneling. When the wood shrinks/moves, you won't have
a white joint showing but rather a dark seam that may not be seen at all.

At the outside corner solid wood would be far better than the plywood. the
veneer is so thin these days that it will be only a short t ime before the
corner damaged and then it is an OS corner molding for repairs.

Good Luck

Butt end joints on plywood? al Home Repair 2 May 10th 07 05:08 PM
Reinforcing Miter Joints Greg Esres Woodworking 9 January 2nd 07 11:01 PM
Mudding butt joints Martik Home Repair 7 August 4th 06 07:34 PM
cut nails, rabbet joints and reinforced corners [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 4th 06 12:28 AM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 04:44 AM