Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Seasonal Trees

Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for some
of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2 months away.
Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the Christmas tree in the
house was the smell. I learned some years back that the trees were being
cut as early as late September and it seems that in the last 30 or so years
the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your trees
get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for some
of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2 months away.
Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the Christmas tree in the
house was the smell. I learned some years back that the trees were being
cut as early as late September and it seems that in the last 30 or so
years the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your
trees get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

Here in CT, the local trees are often fresh cut when bought or a day or two
before if you don't want to trudge the fields to find one. They have a nice
smell. About a week before Thanksgiving though, I see trucks on the road
heading south with loads of trees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your
trees get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

Every year in Northern Ohio, got the tree out of the attic, stood it up,
sprayed it with smelly and got a beer.

Done for another year.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here in Oregon they shipped about 8 million trees last year. The growers
I've talked to say they harvest and ship to Asia in mid to late Oct. Mexico
gets shipped to next, followed by the eastern US. The last shipments go
out by the 2nd week in Dec. As for the smell ours are quite aromatic.
But then again we cut our own and it's in the house the same day.

Art

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for some
of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2 months away.
Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the Christmas tree in the
house was the smell. I learned some years back that the trees were being
cut as early as late September and it seems that in the last 30 or so years
the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your trees
get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for some
of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2 months away.
Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the Christmas tree in the
house was the smell. I learned some years back that the trees were being
cut as early as late September and it seems that in the last 30 or so
years the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your
trees get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

I guess it may depend on what part of the country you live in, but
regardless there is one sure fire way to tell - go to the lots that sell
Christmas trees and see if you find that smell.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Oct 2007 06:25:46 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

Then we go to a tree farm, and search for the perfect tree. My
wife likes to find a tree with a bird nest. "If it's good enough for a
bird, it's good enough for our house."

Where's the bird gonna live? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:29:37 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for some
of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2 months away.
Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the Christmas tree in the
house was the smell. I learned some years back that the trees were being
cut as early as late September and it seems that in the last 30 or so years
the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your trees
get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

For a number of years, in Northeast Mississippi, I had been getting my
Christmas tree from a local tree farm. After Thanksgiving, ride the
wagon out to the field, select and tag your tree, cut it and bring it
home later. So it was fresh and certainly had the smell.

Last year we got a card in the mail stating the the owner of the tree
farm had advanced stage cancer and that they were shutting down their
operation. Sad.

Man was a retired dairy farmer converted to Christmas tree farming.
My wifes uncle in Georgia did the same thing. I asked him once why
the shift from dairy farming to Christmas tree farming after all those
years. He said, " well Frank, those Christmas trees don't care what
time you get up in the morning"

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Every year in Northern Ohio, got the tree out of the attic, stood it up,
sprayed it with smelly and got a beer.

Done for another year.

DAMN! that sounds like a wonderful childhood memory. LOL
We started doing that a few years back and last year did not even put up a
tree. It's not Christmas with out the smell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

Here in CT, the local trees are often fresh cut when bought or a day or
two before if you don't want to trudge the fields to find one. They have
a nice smell. About a week before Thanksgiving though, I see trucks on
the road heading south with loads of trees.

I recall the tree filling the house with that smell. Now you can be in the
middle of the Christmas tree lot have a hard time smelling the tree. You
have to shake every tree to make sure it will make it home with some of its
needles. Most are sprayed with a green dye.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message
. ..
Here in Oregon they shipped about 8 million trees last year. The growers
I've talked to say they harvest and ship to Asia in mid to late Oct.
Mexico
gets shipped to next, followed by the eastern US. The last shipments go
out by the 2nd week in Dec. As for the smell ours are quite aromatic.
But then again we cut our own and it's in the house the same day.

We have Tree farms near Houston that you can go and cut your own tree, but I
guess because of the warmer climate the type tree that we get locally has
very little aroma to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I guess it may depend on what part of the country you live in, but
regardless there is one sure fire way to tell - go to the lots that sell
Christmas trees and see if you find that smell.

The lots have that faint smell. I think the trees that we get now are all
dried out by the time we get them,.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do your
trees
get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

We make a holiday of it. Several families show up for breakfast at our
house, where I make sausage, bacon, eggs, and homemade cinnamon
buns. Then we go to a tree farm, and search for the perfect tree. My
wife likes to find a tree with a bird nest. "If it's good enough for a
bird, it's good enough for our house." After getting the tree bagged
and tagged, we go to the nearby pub and drink several pints of draft
brews, and have a pub lunch. Then the families separate and retire to
their house.

We have local tree farms, we go out and find the perfect tree, try to find
one "with out" a wasp's nest, take it to the machine that shakes the dead
needles off and bags it, load it up, take it home, take a shower to wash the
sweat off.

The trees smell great, and lasts for months without losing needles.

THOSE are the trees I remember. After Christmas we kids would gather all
the trees in the neighborhood that had been put out for trash pick up and
take them into the woods and build forts. The smell in the forts was
wonderful. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I recall the tree filling the house with that smell. Now you can be in

the
middle of the Christmas tree lot have a hard time smelling the tree. You
have to shake every tree to make sure it will make it home with some of

its
needles. Most are sprayed with a green dye.

Like anniversaries, every holiday should have a gemstone/metal/substance
associated with it ... Christmas is plastic.

.... and look out, it's almost Halloween. The ads start in about two weeks,
with the blow up yard ornaments soon to follow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

For a number of years, in Northeast Mississippi, I had been getting my
Christmas tree from a local tree farm. After Thanksgiving, ride the
wagon out to the field, select and tag your tree, cut it and bring it
home later. So it was fresh and certainly had the smell.

We have local tree farms, several infact, but they dont have that smell. I
suspect the climate is too warm for the right kind of tree and smell.

Last year we got a card in the mail stating the the owner of the tree
farm had advanced stage cancer and that they were shutting down their
operation. Sad.

Yes it is. There shoud be others though.

Man was a retired dairy farmer converted to Christmas tree farming.
My wifes uncle in Georgia did the same thing. I asked him once why
the shift from dairy farming to Christmas tree farming after all those
years. He said, " well Frank, those Christmas trees don't care what
time you get up in the morning"

..
That sounds right. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:29:52 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

DAMN! that sounds like a wonderful childhood memory. LOL
We started doing that a few years back and last year did not even put up a
tree. It's not Christmas with out the smell.

We're passing on a tree this year, as we have two 6 month old kittens.

I'll thickness plane some pine in my basement shop for the smell.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Sorta on topic, it's wood. Christmas is just around the corner, for
some of us it's next month for the younger ones it's still about 2
months away. Anyway, as a kid in the 60's the magic of having the
Christmas tree in the house was the smell. I learned some years back
that the trees were being cut as early as late September and it seems
that in the last 30 or so years the trees have lost their smell.
For those of you that live in the northern U.S. and or Canada, do
your trees get cut that early? Do they still have that smell?

You've got to know where to get the odiferous, coniferous trees.

The auto parts shop!

That's right. They have little 6" trees that put you right in the pine
forest!

Bring back memories of a simpler time, chesnuts and marshmallows in a
roaring fire, granny spaced out on eggnog; visit AutoZone today!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
You've got to know where to get the odiferous, coniferous trees.

The auto parts shop!

That's right. They have little 6" trees that put you right in the pine
forest!

Bring back memories of a simpler time, chesnuts and marshmallows in a
roaring fire, granny spaced out on eggnog; visit AutoZone today!

Uh huh, how many decorations will they hold? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

... and look out, it's almost Halloween. The ads start in about two weeks,
with the blow up yard ornaments soon to follow.

Unfortunately, another holiday ruined by some creeps.

For the last 25 years, have not passed out anything edible at Halloween, but
rather coins.

Too bad, candy was what I remember as a kid, not a coin.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:45:19 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

We have local tree farms, several infact, but they dont have that smell. I
suspect the climate is too warm for the right kind of tree and smell.

What do they grow that far south? Our local farm had Virginia Pines
and Leyland Cypress. The Virginia pines had a good smell.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

... and look out, it's almost Halloween. The ads start in about two
weeks,
with the blow up yard ornaments soon to follow.

Unfortunately, another holiday ruined by some creeps.

For the last 25 years, have not passed out anything edible at Halloween,
but rather coins.

Too bad, candy was what I remember as a kid, not a coin.

I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you give out coins instead of
candy, and think that it is too bad that the kids don't get candy like you
did as a kid?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

... and look out, it's almost Halloween. The ads start in about two
weeks,
with the blow up yard ornaments soon to follow.

Unfortunately, another holiday ruined by some creeps.

For the last 25 years, have not passed out anything edible at Halloween,
but rather coins.

Too bad, candy was what I remember as a kid, not a coin.

I remember Coke in paper Coke cups, candy apples, popcorn balls and candy.
It was rather magical by to days standards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

What do they grow that far south? Our local farm had Virginia Pines
and Leyland Cypress. The Virginia pines had a good smell.

I don't recall exactly what they were called, it's been 10 plus years. I do
recall the needles being about 3 inches long and very soft, non totally like
those plastic dusters with the exploded tips.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Drackman" wrote:

I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you give out coins instead of
candy, and think that it is too bad that the kids don't get candy like you
did as a kid?

Yes, at least coins can't be laced with razor blades very easily and the
kids get something they can safely keep.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Drackman" wrote:

I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you give out coins instead of
candy, and think that it is too bad that the kids don't get candy like
you did as a kid?

Yes, at least coins can't be laced with razor blades very easily and the
kids get something they can safely keep.

Lew

Why don't you give them candy without razor blades?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jon wrote:

I just walk over the hill from my house, cut one down, bring it home,
done.

Jon

You'd think the neighbors would catch on to that eventually. One by one,
seeing their back yard trees disappearing each year. ;-)

et...