Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is a 1/16 dremel router bit made?

I checked around and only found an 1/8" dremel router bit. I am making
a fretboard from walnut. Will the 1/16" dremel carving bit work to
make slots?
Thanks, Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I checked around and only found an 1/8" dremel router bit. I am making
a fretboard from walnut. Will the 1/16" dremel carving bit work to
make slots?

You'll be much better off using the correct tool for the job ... a fret saw:

http://www.stewmac.com/item/5745

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

I plan on using a thin strip of maple for the fret lines. I thought
about the fret saw, but the kerf is too narrow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 8:41 pm, wrote:
I plan on using a thin strip of maple for the fret lines. I thought
about the fret saw, but the kerf is too narrow.

What instrument are you making?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm making a lap steel guitar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm making a lap steel guitar.

Frets on a lap steel are like a screen door on a submarine.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

I could tape some pennies down for frets and still play a mean
Sleepwalk!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

wrote in message
I'm making a lap steel guitar.

Frets on a lap steel are like a screen door on a submarine.

What? Keeps the bugs out?

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry, but don't luthiers have special tools for that ultra thin kerf cut?
I thought there was a special fret saw for luthiers which was a back saw
with special saw tooth set for that narrow kerf.

Luthiers Mercantile International,
http://www.lmii.com/
has a 6 inch table saw blade with 92 teeth, 0.023 inch wide kerf
search under Fretting, and then on next page scroll to bottom, and
click on Power Slotting system.

Phil

wrote in message
ups.com...
I checked around and only found an 1/8" dremel router bit. I am making
a fretboard from walnut. Will the 1/16" dremel carving bit work to
make slots?
Thanks, Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:38:23 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message
I'm making a lap steel guitar.

Frets on a lap steel are like a screen door on a submarine.

Speaking of submarines and out of the park OT, but check this out...

I work with a guy who commanded two nuke subs back in the 80's, in
his prior career.

He recently explained to me that some diesel boats had fuel tanks with
no bottom, as in open to the sea. The fuel floats on seawater pushing
up from the bottom of the tank. As the fuel is used, the water
replaces the fuel, and there's no air in the tank.

Well, _I_ thought that was interesting. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

Frets on a lap steel are like a screen door on a submarine.

Speaking of submarines and out of the park OT, but check this out...

I work with a guy who commanded two nuke subs back in the 80's, in
his prior career.

He recently explained to me that some diesel boats had fuel tanks with
no bottom, as in open to the sea. The fuel floats on seawater pushing
up from the bottom of the tank. As the fuel is used, the water
replaces the fuel, and there's no air in the tank.

Well, _I_ thought that was interesting. G

It is ... that's probably where the screen door goes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
wrote in message

I'm making a lap steel guitar.

Frets on a lap steel are like a screen door on a submarine.

I never have played a fretless bass, but wouldn't they serve as a
position reference?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:46:45 -0700, Steve
wrote:

I've built several fretless bass guitars, and in each case I used the
standard fret saw, which cuts a .023" kerf, then used maple veneer cut
into strips and glued into the slots.

Lines? My fretless bass didn't need no steenkin' lines! G

It did have position markers on the side / edge of the neck visible to
the player.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Drill Technology 616-676-1792 Michigan 1/16 th available or Stewart
MacDonald stewmac.com