Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FWW Article: "you can't be serious" abount clamping.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:15:48 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

J T wrote:

Tue, Oct 9, 2007, 2:20am (EDT+4) (LRod)
did sayeth:

I moved on the instant I saw the glue up with the QuickGrips on
it. He asserts you can get greater pressure with them than
K-Bodies? Please.

I bought my first QuickGrips probably 20 years ago. It took me
all of about five minutes to figure out they were possibly okay for
some tasks, but you couldn't depend on them staying clamped
and they definitely couldn't be clamped really hard. Those first
ones were also my last ones.

I never bought any cause they look so weak - and pricey.
Actually, they look like plastic, but I never handled one, so can't
say for sure. Got some metal equivalents at Big Lots for around
$1.50 each. They work about like a caulking gun, and sure exert
adequate pressure, have no problem with them staying clamped.
I try to pick up one or two, if in stock, and about $2 each, which is
not often. The other day they were $4+ each. Only 6" capacity,
but no problem to cut one in half, then rivet or weld a metal
extension in, to extend it a foot or so. Can be very handy at times.

So which is it, did you never buy any QuickGrips or did you buy your
first ones 20 years ago?

The "first ones 20 years ago" was from my post. He doesn't know how to
set webtv to identify quotes. I've fixed that in this one to what it
is supposed to look like.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:54:23 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 8:24pm (EDT+4)
(LRod) doth
claimeth::
The "first ones 20 years ago" was from my post. He doesn't know how to
set webtv to identify quotes. I've fixed that in this one to what it is
supposed to look like. snip

Pardon? "I" don't know how to quote? OK, this is your quote of
what I wrote when I quoted "you":
J T wrote:
Tue, Oct 9, 2007, 2:20am (EDT+4)
(LRod) did
sayeth:
I moved on the instant I saw the glue up with the QuickGrips on it. He
asserts you can get greater pressure with them than K-Bodies? Please.
I bought my first QuickGrips probably 20 years ago. snip of the rest

I quoted "you", who said "you" bought about 20 years ago. Looks
clear to me. Also, looks to me like he read it wrong. I'll keep on
quoting the same way I have for the last 10 or so years.

Then you'll keep doing it wrong. It's not just a matter of including
the text (which admittedly is quoting the poster). It's also a matter
of making it clear who's doing the talking. That's what the "quoted
text markers" are for. They might be or : They indicate quoted text,
but they also have to reflect the level of quote, and do that by
placing two for a quote of a quote. or three for a quote of a quote of
a quote.

In your example above everything from "Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 8:24pm " to
"quoting the same way I have " is preceded by a single . That
indicates to newsreaders that all 18 lines (in my reader) were uttered
by the same author. In fact, the text beginning with "The "first ones
20 years ago" and ending with "supposed to look like" is my work, and
should have been preceded in your post by a or : which would have
made them a or :: in this reply.

In your post that text isn't. Consequently, it looks to readers as if
you wrote the whole post, and clearly you didn't. He didn't read it
wrong. You posted it wrong.

There are settings in news readers which do that automatically. I
figured out 10 (or so) years ago what they meant and how to do it.
It's marginally acceptable for you to continue to do it the way you're
doing, so long as you don't mind expecting others to do your work for
you. Say, isn't that why you get so upset with people asking where to
find stuff?

You're doing exactly the same thing to us. Next time you go off on
someone for asking where to find something I'm going to remind you
that by your standards it's okay if they keep on asking the same way
they have for the last 10 (or so) years. See how you like it.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Oct 2007 21:36:19 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

LRod writes:

You're doing exactly the same thing to us. Next time you go off on
someone for asking where to find something I'm going to remind you
that by your standards it's okay if they keep on asking the same way
they have for the last 10 (or so) years. See how you like it.

Don't be so hard on him. He's not using a computer.

I know he's not. I even mentioned that two posts up.

One of these days.....

Are you kidding? He buys his clamps at Big Lots...