Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Up to me butt in congeleum, congoline, whatever.

I just uncrated a Delta table saw and was absolutely amazed by how
much slop was all over this thing.
The darn thing was dripping on one end and waxy-like solidified grease
on the other.
What a frickin' mess.

The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
it up....why not?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:
I just uncrated a Delta table saw and was absolutely amazed by how
much slop was all over this thing.
The darn thing was dripping on one end and waxy-like solidified grease
on the other.
What a frickin' mess.

The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
it up....why not?

Corollary paint damage is only reason I can think of offhand...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

LOL Remember back in the 60's when they claimed you could buy a WW2 jeep
new? It was only coated in cosmoleum to preserve it. Yeah like soft tar.
Lacquer thinner will remove the paint.Lotsa rags /mineral spirits/ followed
by more rags and mineral spirits.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just uncrated a Delta table saw and was absolutely amazed by how
much slop was all over this thing.
The darn thing was dripping on one end and waxy-like solidified grease
on the other.
What a frickin' mess.

The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
it up....why not?

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

In the 1950s, I worked in the auto industry on imported cars from Europe.
They all came coated with that greasy stuff. It would take a pile of rags
and a gallon of mineral paint thinner called Varsol to get it off. If we
were to paint a damaged car, we would then remove all the trim because it
was all behind the trim and the solvent in the paint would cause it to leak
out ruining the paint job. After removing the trim we would rewash the car
with lacquer thinner, because we were repainting it anyway.

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
LOL Remember back in the 60's when they claimed you could buy a WW2 jeep
new? It was only coated in cosmoleum to preserve it. Yeah like soft tar.
Lacquer thinner will remove the paint.Lotsa rags /mineral spirits/
followed by more rags and mineral spirits.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just uncrated a Delta table saw and was absolutely amazed by how
much slop was all over this thing.
The darn thing was dripping on one end and waxy-like solidified grease
on the other.
What a frickin' mess.

The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
it up....why not?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

| The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
| it up....why not?

It might dissolve? ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 8:57 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

| The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
| it up....why not?

It might dissolve? ;-)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../WeSeeWhat.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 7:36 pm, "Allen Roy" wrote:
Probably due to it causing paint damage.

*slaps my forehead*

I'll feel better tomorrow and be back on solid food by Sunday.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I just uncrated a Delta table saw and was absolutely amazed by how
much slop was all over this thing.
The darn thing was dripping on one end and waxy-like solidified grease
on the other.
What a frickin' mess.

The blurb that came with it said not to use lacquer thinner to clean
it up....why not?

Take it to the high-pressure car wash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 9:29 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:36 pm, "Allen Roy" wrote:

Probably due to it causing paint damage.

*slaps my forehead*

I'll feel better tomorrow and be back on solid food by Sunday.

I've uncrated a lot of tools over the years: those today tend to have
less cosmoline on them, but those that do have it, have it caked on.

I used kerosene first, followed with WD40, and then wax the daylights
out of the table. Boeshield does a nice job there, as does paste floor
wax, as we all know (or should) by now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 7:20 am, Charlie Self wrote:
On Oct 11, 9:29 pm, Robatoy wrote:

On Oct 11, 7:36 pm, "Allen Roy" wrote:

Probably due to it causing paint damage.

*slaps my forehead*

I'll feel better tomorrow and be back on solid food by Sunday.

I've uncrated a lot of tools over the years: those today tend to have
less cosmoline on them, but those that do have it, have it caked on.

I used kerosene first, followed with WD40, and then wax the daylights
out of the table. Boeshield does a nice job there, as does paste floor
wax, as we all know (or should) by now.

That is pretty much the schedule I'm following. That WD40 step hadn't
occurred to me. That should help. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

That is pretty much the schedule I'm following. That WD40 step hadn't
occurred to me. That should help. Thanks.

In the future, WD40 will also quickly strip off the built up layers of
TopCote, paste wax, Bosshield, etc before you give it another protective
coat.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Oct, 09:32, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

That is pretty much the schedule I'm following. That WD40 step hadn't
occurred to me. That should help. Thanks.

In the future, WD40 will also quickly strip off the built up layers of
TopCote, paste wax, Bosshield, etc before you give it another protective
coat.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

And adhesives, inks, marker, etc. That's why I buy it by the gallon
and transfer it to a spray bottle. Much cheaper than the aerosol cans.

http://wd40.com/PressRoom/StockImage...40-p_spray.gif (Got 3
of these lying around the house/shop/garage, always within easy reach)

http://wd40.com/PressRoom/StockImage...0-n_gallon.gif

Yes, butt. No, butt. Inside/Outside toilet?! [email protected] UK diy 0 November 8th 06 12:19 AM
square Water butt?? ChrisJ UK diy 11 May 11th 06 02:02 PM
PV'd butt again... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 7 March 17th 06 06:28 PM
Location of butt Stephen Gower UK diy 15 July 21st 05 08:21 AM
Sorry to butt in. Rory Manton Woodworking 5 April 24th 05 05:32 PM