Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Birdhouses for specific species.

I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

T.I.A,

Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:20:12 -0700, TwoGuns
wrote:

What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

Do you have a local agricultural or cooperative extension service?

(Hint: check the blue pages in the phone book)

If so, they might be able to point you to specific resources for
_your_ local birds.

My wild bird knowledge isn't huge, but what I've learned is that there
are usually specific features that attract certain birds. For
example, some birds really want a specific entrance size hole, while
other birds may be picky only about the facing (east, north...) of the
hole, while others key of the location (height above ground and
distance from the woods) of a non-specific box.

My wife and I have at least 35 species of wild birds in our back yard,
mostly by luck, so it's worth the effort.

Good luck!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Sep, 19:20, TwoGuns wrote:
I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

T.I.A,

Dennis

Be careful of what you ask for. Are you sure you want to attract more
woodpeckers? I'm a nature loving kind of guy, but I also like to
sleep past day-break.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TwoGuns" (are they bird guns?)...
I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

T.I.A,

Dennis

Some specifications from From Bauhaus To Birdhouse posted at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
ISBN 0-06-016742-4

Same author, Leslie Garisto, has another New Birdhouse Book

HTH,
Dean

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

Attract with appropriate environment.
http://www.audubon.org/bird/at_home/...rdHabitat.html Then
provide comfort in hope they will stay, in accordance with the kind of
information you'll find here.
http://www.audubon.org/educate/expert/birdhouse.php

No clever observations over the ones already given.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:51:41 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

Be careful of what you ask for. Are you sure you want to attract more
woodpeckers? I'm a nature loving kind of guy, but I also like to
sleep past day-break.

Ever have one chase bugs in a metal rain gutter? G

We have woodpeckers and flickers, and man, can they make a racket on
aluminum!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

B A R R Y wrote in
:

wrote:

Be careful of what you ask for. Are you sure you want to attract more
woodpeckers? I'm a nature loving kind of guy, but I also like to
sleep past day-break.

Ever have one chase bugs in a metal rain gutter? G

We have woodpeckers and flickers, and man, can they make a racket on
aluminum!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

We call people who drive around in convertibles with their stereo at full
blast (and their bass volume way up) woodpeckers, because those young
people announce the same thing woodpeckers state:

I'm here!!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

T.I.A,

Dennis

I built a bluebird house and the first year bluebirds moved in. I
built three wren houses and all three had wren families. We have
hummingbirds, chickadees, buntings, woodpeckers, jays, robins,
woodpeckers, etc--none used birdhouses. But a robin decided to build
her nest on top of my rose trellis, sandwiched between thorny
branches. Robins prefer to nest on a shelf rather than in a
birdhouse. A hawk decided to nest on top of a pine tree, and has been
returning every year to making the nest bigger. I've seen hawks and
owls kill squirrels but there are thousands of squirrels here (I call
them tree rats). Go to your local library and check out a book on
bird houses--they provide the proper dimensions and where/how to
mount. Leave the insides unfinished and provide a couple drainage
holes. Build houses for birds you see in the area. I found that
birds prefer aged and weathered birdhouses over newly built. I have
one birdhouse (built over 25 years ago) that still gets used and is
the preferred house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I love watching the wildlife in my backyard. I see Cardinals,
Bluejays, Robins, Doves and Zebra Woodpeckers almost daily. I would
like to attract more Chickadees, Buntings, Wrens, Hummingbirds and
different species of Woodpeckers over the winter and early next spring
(Eastern Nebraska). I have several bird feeders out with various types
of mixes for the different species. What I need are plans for
birdhouses that will encourage the type of birds I want and help
protect them from the predators. If I could attract a few owls they
would get fat and happy with the abundance of squirrels in the
neighborhood. Do any of you have suggestions?

T.I.A,

I want to thank everyone for all the good ideas. I have a large pile
of scrap wood that I plan on turning into bird condos this winter.

Dennis