Posted to rec.woodworking

Default number of coats of Tung oil

I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

Wild thought...
Why not follow the directions on the can?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 24, 6:19 pm, Doug wrote:
I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

We put on three, but it's Millie's polymerized and that's what they
say to put on.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message ...

I used five on this one: also made from black walnut. More than enough
coats. Too many and it will start to look glossy.

I rubbed mine down lightly with 0000 steel wool after curing.

Followed his suggestion on black walnut blanket chest and the results
stunned me. Not sure if I ever thanked him though... Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default Note

I used pure tung oil and started at 25% oil 75% mineral spirits gradually
increase to 75% oil 25 mineral. Not sure about minwax stuff.
"Lee" wrote in message
et...

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message ...

I used five on this one: also made from black walnut. More than
enough coats. Too many and it will start to look glossy.

I rubbed mine down lightly with 0000 steel wool after curing.

Followed his suggestion on black walnut blanket chest and the results
stunned me. Not sure if I ever thanked him though... Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
et...

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message ...

I used five on this one: also made from black walnut. More than
enough coats. Too many and it will start to look glossy.

I rubbed mine down lightly with 0000 steel wool after curing.

Followed his suggestion on black walnut blanket chest and the results
stunned me. Not sure if I ever thanked him though... Thanks

I trust that being stunned is good, but tung oil is a penetrating finish,
not a film finish. Once you have saturated it (one or two applications
ought to do it) you are just putting gunk on your project.
But perhaps you are taking off all the dried oil with the steel wool.

But of course that doesn't address the OP's question. He is talking about
tung oil finish, not tung oil. tof is mainly poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug wrote:
I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people
typically recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who
suggest many more.

When it looks good to you, stop.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message
But of course that doesn't address the OP's question. He is talking
about tung oil finish, not tung oil. tof is mainly poly.

I was really impressed with the way YOU addressed the OP's question.

Suggesting he follow the directions on the can? Yeah, the folks at Minwax
might know how to use it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

: ...
:
: I was really impressed with the way YOU addressed the OP's question.
:
: Suggesting he follow the directions on the can? Yeah, the folks at Minwax
: might know how to use it.

Although in general it's true following the can directions is smart,
there's a realy good article in the current Woodwork about this with
some examples of truly bad directions and information on finish cans.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 24, 6:19 pm, Doug wrote:
I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

I'm not familiar with the product but I suspect it's not straight tung
oil. It's probably a combination of tung and poly. If the finished
piece is away from direct sunlight and moisture, then you can probably
get by with two coats. I use a combination of tung, poly and linseed
oil and I usually apply four coats. I recently finished a black walnut
bathroom sink cabinet with six coats Remember, aesthetic appeal is not
the only reason you finish a piece. The primary job of a finish is
wood protection. If you don't feel like you have enough finish on the
piece, then you probably don't.

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

: "GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message
: ...
: But of course that doesn't address the OP's question. He is talking
: about tung oil finish, not tung oil. tof is mainly poly.
:
: I was really impressed with the way YOU addressed the OP's question.
:
: Suggesting he follow the directions on the can? Yeah, the folks at
Minwax
: might know how to use it.

Although in general it's true following the can directions is smart,
there's a realy good article in the current Woodwork about this with
some examples of truly bad directions and information on finish cans.

There are exceptions, but the directions on the can are more likely to be
right than what people here feel is right.. I stress, "more likely".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 24, 8:19 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

ps.com... I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

Wild thought...
Why not follow the directions on the can?

Precedent? Following the directions on Minwax Antique
Oil generally results in a sticky mess that takes a year to
dry. Laying it on light and buffing it in produces a
nice low gloss sheen. Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" is
likely a very similar varnish-fortified oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 24, 8:19 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

ps.com... I'm
finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

Wild thought...
Why not follow the directions on the can?

Precedent? Following the directions on Minwax Antique
Oil generally results in a sticky mess that takes a year to
dry. Laying it on light and buffing it in produces a
nice low gloss sheen. Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" is
likely a very similar varnish-fortified oil.

So, you have discovered that a company doesn't know how to use its own
product, yet you continue to buy that company's products?!?!
Amazing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 8:44 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 24, 8:19 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

oups.com... I'm
finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

Wild thought...
Why not follow the directions on the can?

Precedent? Following the directions on Minwax Antique
Oil generally results in a sticky mess that takes a year to
dry. Laying it on light and buffing it in produces a
nice low gloss sheen. Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" is
likely a very similar varnish-fortified oil.

So, you have discovered that a company doesn't know how to use its own
product, yet you continue to buy that company's products?!?!
Amazing.

Because the product is cheap, consistent, and it works?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 8:44 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 24, 8:19 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

oups.com... I'm
finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people
typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many
more.

Wild thought...
Why not follow the directions on the can?

Precedent? Following the directions on Minwax Antique
Oil generally results in a sticky mess that takes a year to
dry. Laying it on light and buffing it in produces a
nice low gloss sheen. Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" is
likely a very similar varnish-fortified oil.

So, you have discovered that a company doesn't know how to use its own
product, yet you continue to buy that company's products?!?!
Amazing.

Because the product is cheap, consistent, and it works?

If you say so; after all, you know more about it than Minwax!

Posted to rec.woodworking
mjd mjd is offline

On Sep 24, 6:19 pm, Doug wrote:
I'm finishing a project made of mostly Black Walnut and I'm using
Minwax Tung Oil finish. I'm wondering how many coats people typically
recommend. I've heard as few as 2, and others who suggest many more.

just completed a top for an old cast iron Singer sewing machine base;
mahogany with maple inlay, and used that same finish. I did 5 coats,
rubbed with 0000 steel wool between each. It got deeper and richer
with each coat; I could have kept going but had to call it a day one
day. That finish looks beautiful on mahogany btw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 8:44 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Sep 24, 8:19 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

oups.com... I'm
[...]

I'm going to guess that Minwax knows exactly what they're doing.
AO is one of their oldest products. What works for them, however,
may not work for everyone, due to environmental factors, probably.

All finishes need tweaking of application technique, oils especially.
This is a more apparent example. Should come as no surprise.

how long between coats? AngelaK UK diy 5 August 13th 06 09:15 PM
Sanding between coats??? [email protected] Woodworking 14 October 21st 04 01:15 AM
RCA CTC135A/B (I think this is the chasis number I don't have model number) Color is screwed up. Robbie McFerren Electronics Repair 8 September 23rd 04 09:33 PM
tung oil vs tung oil finish C Carruth Woodworking 5 November 18th 03 04:47 PM