Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening Carbide - ScarySharp?

I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if I
could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if

could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

1) If they are cheap bits, **** can them.

2) If they are good bits, send them out and have them done.

You can't get there from here.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 9:04 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if I
could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

JP

As the crystaline structure of carbide is rather course in microscopic
terms, 'scary sharp' isn't possible.
But I could be wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If they are HSS they can be lapped in relatively short order. Make sure
you keep the bit flat to the stone. I do this with my HSS router bits
regularly using an old medium (I think) diamond stone. As for carbide it
can be done but will take a looooong time.

Jay Pique wrote:

I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if I
could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 8:04 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if I
could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

JP

I sharpen my carbide-tipped router bits all the time using the DMT
credit card sized plates. Works like a charm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 20, 12:18 am, wrote:
On Sep 18, 8:04 pm, Jay Pique wrote:

I see that DMT has an 8000"mesh" diamond stone and was wondering if I
could use that to get my router bits "scary sharp", or at least
sharper than how they come from the factory.

Any thoughts?

JP

I sharpen my carbide-tipped router bits all the time using the DMT
credit card sized plates. Works like a charm.

I've got those same plates, but mine don't appear to be flat. I just
sharpened a Bahco scraper blade (carbide) with the extra fine (green)
card and it did a really good job. (I went across the card to avoid
the curve). I think I'm going to invest in a DMT Dia-Sharp 8000 grit
diamond stone and see just how sharp I can get those router bits. And
if it's really 8k, that'll put a great edge on chisels in no time.
Plus, it should stay flat for a long, long time. It's on the list...
JP