John Allen

Default Carbide Cut-off Saw

I can't seem to find an old post that talked about a carbide tipped saw for
cutting steel that can be used in a normal abrasive cuttoff saw.
Can anyone please point me to the site where they have these. None of the
local manufacturers make anything bigger then 230mm and I need 300mm plus
for cutting larger HRS.
Tks in advance
John Allen
New Zealand.

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , John Allen
wrote:

I can't seem to find an old post that talked about a carbide tipped saw for
cutting steel that can be used in a normal abrasive cuttoff saw.
Can anyone please point me to the site where they have these. None of the
local manufacturers make anything bigger then 230mm and I need 300mm plus
for cutting larger HRS.
Tks in advance
John Allen
New Zealand.

No the dry-cut carbide blades are meant to be used in Dry-cut saws.
They look like abrasive saws, but run at 1/2 the RPM and twice the
torque.

There are dry-cut blades that can be used in any worm drive circular
saw.

brands:

Tenryu Steel Pro

Morse Metal Devil

Matsu****a
Jeff Dantzler

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

No the dry-cut carbide blades are meant to be used in Dry-cut saws.
They look like abrasive saws, but run at 1/2 the RPM and twice the
torque.

Ernie--how do abrasive wheels do in the dry-cut saw? I seem to
remember you recommending them for stainless, but can't recall
which saw you were using. I've got a 14" Dewalt dry cut saw.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article 1069178507.508926@yasure, Jeff Dantzler
wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

No the dry-cut carbide blades are meant to be used in Dry-cut saws.
They look like abrasive saws, but run at 1/2 the RPM and twice the
torque.

Ernie--how do abrasive wheels do in the dry-cut saw? I seem to
remember you recommending them for stainless, but can't recall
which saw you were using. I've got a 14" Dewalt dry cut saw.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

Really well, but if you have been using stick wax as a cutting lube the
sparks from the abrasive wheel will smoke out the wax residue inside
the blade guard.
It will produce quite a bit of smoke.

Dry-cut saws have a much stronger frame and pivot system, so the
abrasive wheel doesn't deflect as much.

It gives very straight cuts.
I sometimes swap in an abrasive wheel when cutting a lot of thin wall
stainless steel tube.
That stuff tears up dry-cut blades.
nic

I've purchased a blade made by Matsu****a
http://www.matsu****aamerica.com/steelstud.htm and it is meant to be used
in a 7 1/4" handheld circular saw which has a no-load rated speed of 5300
RPM . I've cut 1 1/4" thick mild steel plate with it and did not have any
problems. How blade life, etc. is working this hard will be interesting to
see. I honestly don't know if it needs to run slower, the chip that is
formed is small, 1 1/4 curl, and blue.
I do agree that 12" dia. might be too big to run at 3800 rpm.
(SFM=12x3.14x3800/12=11932 ) That's a significant amount faster than the
10000 sfm that my 7.25" runs.

There are other manufacturers that make them, just do a search for "steel
cutting saw blades" and you'll find info which seems to corraborate some of
the comments that others have made.

news