Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T? Trouble with my Remington .22 cal Nail driver

I haven't had a need to use the above tool for a while. But it worked like a
charm when last I used it. I loaned it to a friend, since then and haven't
even looked at it. I had a small job to do the other day and when I tried
to fire some nails into metal and cement block, the cartridge wouldn't fire.
I tried a number of them thinking I had gotten some duds. Still no luck. I
thought maybe the firing pin is broken and tried to disassemble the tool.
There is a nut on the top of the handle that I think needs to be removed to
gain access; however, it just turns. The nut is smashed down pretty heavily
on the rod that it secures and don't know how to get it off yet. I would
have to clamp the plastic handle and then try to use a wrench on it. It
could well ruin the plastic handle.

Anyone with some suggestions as to how to proceed on this? Another site to
go to? Thanks,

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 2:58 am, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:
[...]

Try going to the manufacture's site to get the various trouble
shooting instructions, manuals, etc. Check the breech to make sure
that part of a used casing isn't stuck in it. I had a similar problem
several years ago and it seems to me that that's where the problem
lay. The new load wouldn't fully seat thereby preventing firing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
I haven't had a need to use the above tool for a while. But it worked like a
charm when last I used it. I loaned it to a friend, since then and haven't
even looked at it. I had a small job to do the other day and when I tried
to fire some nails into metal and cement block, the cartridge wouldn't fire.
I tried a number of them thinking I had gotten some duds. Still no luck. I
thought maybe the firing pin is broken and tried to disassemble the tool.
There is a nut on the top of the handle that I think needs to be removed to
gain access; however, it just turns. The nut is smashed down pretty heavily
on the rod that it secures and don't know how to get it off yet. I would
have to clamp the plastic handle and then try to use a wrench on it. It
could well ruin the plastic handle.

Anyone with some suggestions as to how to proceed on this?

Contact the friend you loaned it to to discuss replacement?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried fresh new loads yet? Is there an indentation near the rim of
the cartridge?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

=======The cartridges weren't dented as normal for a rimfire cartridge.
That's why I thought the problem lay with the firing pin. Only problem now
is: How do I get it out of the tool? Will I have to clamp the plastic
handle in a vise and wrench off the nut. I can't seem to find any tech
support for Remington on this tool. Any ideas? Thanks,

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

If the thread is mushed over from hammering, you will never unscrew it. Last
time I looked these things were only about $20.00, just buy another one,
possibly this time go for the more expensive trigger operated version.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

Anyone with some suggestions as to how to proceed on this? Another site
to go to? Thanks,

Buy the HILTI (albeit just slightly more expensive).
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

====== Thanks, guys. The HILTI is a bit pricey for my use; however, the
trigger operated Remington seems to be the way to go. As usual, great
advice on this group!

Leif