Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brush cleaning question

Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

just stand it up in a jar of mineral spirits. when you're ready to use it,
squeeze the excess out. This will leave enough ms's in the brush to allow
better flow out of the poly on the next coat.

jc

"bynot" wrote in message
Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:45:19 GMT, "bynot"
wrote:

Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.

I use regular paint thinner. If I'm using the brush soon, I'll leave
it in the thinner. If not, I'll do a final cleaning with lacquer
thinner before putting the brush away.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Whatever finish you are using, always start by dipping the brush up to the
ferrule in the cleaning solvent before you start. Let most of it drip off,
brush some clean paper with the brush to remove the excess and then you are
ready for the finish. Makes the clean up much easier. JG
"bynot" wrote in message
Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bynot" wrote:

Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Epifanes, a manufacturer of premium marine varnishes recommends
storing natural bristle bushes suspended in diesel fuel or kerosene
between uses. I have tried it and it works. (Although I can't attest
to long-term results, they claim to have some brushes 15 years old in
good shape doing this.) From their Q&A at
http://www.epifanes.com/qanda.htm

evise a rack system (ie. coat hanger) that will hang your brushes
:suspended just clear of the bottom. Fill the container with Diesel
yes, Diesel) or Kerosene until the ferule (the metal part) is
:halfway submerged. This will ensure that the bristles are “underwater”.
:This is where they will live. When it comes time to use the brush,
:simply rinse out the diesel two or three times with common mineral
:spirit, spin and use. After use, repeat with two or three rinsings,
:a spin and back in the diesel. This method will keep your brushes
:clean and supple for years. we have 15-year-old brushes that are
:in great shape. The diesel has enough cutting capability to keep
:the varnish from clogging up the bristles but, is oily enough to
:keep the bristles soft.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

What! Nobody suggested this: you can put your brush in the freezer (bag
it first, of course) and use it without cleaning it particularly
well.Or
maybe at all. I have done this with brushes and forgot about them for
literally months and used them without a problem. Worth experimenting
with cheap brushes and when your swmbo isn't looking.

And then have water vapor condense on it before you dip it into your
poly,
thereby ruining your finish.

that might work with water baased finishes, but i'd never try it on an
oil
based (actually, i'd never try it, but the reasons would be better for
oil
based).

Joe, you may more about this than I ever will, but my experience is my
experience: I did about two thousand
square feet of oak and maple flooring and used this trick on lambswool
and brushes and never had the problem.

ldr, that's good to hear (no problem). given the humidity in my shop right
now, the possible condensation issue was the first thing that came to my
mind.

be well, work wood:

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 8:45 pm, "bynot" wrote:
Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Wash in used solvent, followed by two more washings in
clean solvent followed by spinning the brush "dry," then
comb it (a fork works as well as an actual "brush comb")
and put it back in its wrapper. Pour the solvent from the
second and third washings into the first jar of solvent to
conserve it and keep it out of the waste stream. My ten
year old varnish brushes are in better condition than new.

Never dip a brush in finish all the way to the ferrule.
You'll never get it clean, and the bristles will never
again lie smooth and parallel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 15, 8:45 pm, "bynot" wrote:
Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Wash in used solvent, followed by two more washings in
clean solvent followed by spinning the brush "dry," then
comb it (a fork works as well as an actual "brush comb")
and put it back in its wrapper. Pour the solvent from the
second and third washings into the first jar of solvent to
conserve it and keep it out of the waste stream. My ten
year old varnish brushes are in better condition than new.

Never dip a brush in finish all the way to the ferrule.
You'll never get it clean, and the bristles will never
again lie smooth and parallel.

And once its washed, put some string or a lazzie band round the bristles, otherwise the next time you
use it its like painting with a shaving brush.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 8:45 pm, "bynot" wrote:
[...]

Whack it across the edge of your bench several times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bynot wrote:
Can I get some suggestions as to what makes the best brush cleaner for
oil-based polyurethane.
Applying multiple coats to gumball and candy dispensers can eat up
throw-away foam & cheapo brushes.

Thanks to all in advance

Last week I had to put several coats on a toy boat. I coated it every
12 hours using a foam brush. After using the brush, I simply put the
brush in a ziploc bag until next time. I tried to remove all the air
from the bag each time. Worked well for me, as I was down to my last
foam brush.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA