Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob

Default finishing method - care to comment?

I've recently completed a desk in quartersawn white oak. I've
finished final sanding to 180 grit and will fume it with ammonia this
week (I'll assemble the desk after linseed oil application and before
shellac; see below). I've done several tests and am confident in the
method.

I've also done some test pieces all the way through the process, and
here's what I prefer so far, though I have a few questions and would
like to see if anyone has another method of finishing fumed oak that
they think I should try before going on with the final stages of the
desk:

After fuming (24 hours; 28-31% ammonium hydroxide; 70 degrees), I will
apply 3 coats of boiled linseed oil (drying between) and then a few
topcoats of natural shellac, using 0000 steel wool between shellac
coats. I've tried this and I like the look. It's quite rich, deep
golden brown, and difficult to screw up too.

Is there any benefit to waxing over shellac (I know not to wax before
shellac and my test of waxing instead of shellac wasn't as rich)? Do
you think that a filler or sealer is necessary? If so, precisely what
product and when? Is there any other method I should try or anything
I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for any comments.