Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stopped Chamfers

Today I gave up using a router to cut stopped chamfers for balusters.
In addition to tearout and blowout, you also get burning. Since I had
112 of them to do, and I really didn't feel like banging my head
against that wall for the next 8 hours, I made a jig for the end of
the edge sander. It's basically the same set-up as with a router
table, only I had to make it angled at 45 degrees. It worked
flawlessly, and I even like the aesthetic of a larger radius better.
The longer tapering out of the chamfer is much more elegant. It's
just a better method in every way, IMO. After you make the chamfer,
you're done. It's already sanded! Today was the kind of day that
makes me really love my job.

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

Pictures/abpw, please?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Jay Pique wrote:
Today I gave up using a router to cut stopped chamfers for balusters.
In addition to tearout and blowout, you also get burning. Since I had
112 of them to do, and I really didn't feel like banging my head
against that wall for the next 8 hours, I made a jig for the end of
the edge sander. It's basically the same set-up as with a router
table, only I had to make it angled at 45 degrees. It worked
flawlessly, and I even like the aesthetic of a larger radius better.
The longer tapering out of the chamfer is much more elegant. It's
just a better method in every way, IMO. After you make the chamfer,
you're done. It's already sanded! Today was the kind of day that
makes me really love my job.

Very cool. Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you could post pictures of your
jig, and the results, over at abpw?

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

Good question.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

The old adage "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem
looks like a nail" probably holds true for a router as well.
Art

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 9:13 pm, Leuf wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:33:01 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

Today I gave up using a router to cut stopped chamfers for balusters.
In addition to tearout and blowout, you also get burning. Since I had
112 of them to do, and I really didn't feel like banging my head
against that wall for the next 8 hours, I made a jig for the end of
the edge sander. It's basically the same set-up as with a router
table, only I had to make it angled at 45 degrees. It worked
flawlessly, and I even like the aesthetic of a larger radius better.
The longer tapering out of the chamfer is much more elegant. It's
just a better method in every way, IMO. After you make the chamfer,
you're done. It's already sanded! Today was the kind of day that
makes me really love my job.

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

Because we don't have edge sanders?

It'd work with a spindle sander too, or even a sanding drum on a drill
press I'd presume. You might could jig up a belt sander too.

I've never been able to access abpw, let alone send photos there.
Could someone give me a quick tutorial? I'm accessing usenet through
google right now, although I've used freeagent and some free feed in
the past.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, Jay Pique wrote:

I've never been able to access abpw, let alone send photos there.
Could someone give me a quick tutorial? I'm accessing usenet through
google right now,

Well, that's why you can't get there right now -- Google doesn't archive the
binaries groups.

although I've used freeagent and some free feed in
the past.

And that's what you'll need to do again. Once you get a real news client
configured, you get to abpw the same way you get to any other group.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote in news:1189546381.109828.79890
@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

snip
A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

Because we didn't have an edge sander?

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote in news:1189546381.109828.79890
@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

A question that keeps rattling around in my head though, is "why
weren't we already doing it this way?"

JP

It's simply that you didn't realize there was a problem with the previous
way. Necessity is the mother of invention, you know. Dissatisfaction is
the father.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:31:35 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

I've never been able to access abpw, let alone send photos there.
Could someone give me a quick tutorial? I'm accessing usenet through
google right now, although I've used freeagent and some free feed in
the past.

JP

JP, If you are OK with it, I volunteer to have you email me the photos
and I'll post them on ABPWW.

ROY!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've never been able to access abpw, let alone send photos there.
Could someone give me a quick tutorial? I'm accessing usenet through
google right now, although I've used freeagent and some free feed in
the past.

JP

JP, If you are OK with it, I volunteer to have you email me the photos
and I'll post them on ABPWW.

ROY!

What's a valid email address to which I can send them?
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got the pics on my computer now, and I'll send them to anyone
who'd like them. Maybe this weekend I'll get set up with a real
newsreader so I can post them to the binaries group. Now that I think
of it though, my last free feed didn't maintain any binaries groups.
(It was the (some) german server, I think.)

IAE, I did some experimenting with different woods today and wanted to
follow up. The biggest frustration I had with using a router was chip-
out at the very beginning of the cut. I was initially using reclaimed
douglas fir, which can be brutal for splintering. I was able to
eliminate the tear-out itself by climb-cutting, but the little chips
at the initial plunge were going to be a big issue, I could tell from
just a couple test cuts. I'm not sure if this problem could be
eliminated by using a new or newly sharpened chamfer bit or not. My
guess is that it would help, but not totally eliminate the issue. So
I built a sanding jig.

This jig solved the tear-out/chip out issue entirely. I had zero
instances of either. As for burning though, I did have some very
slight darkening at either the beginning or the end of the cut on a
few occasions. It was so slight though, that I didn't even bother to
try and remove it; it was just a slight browning of the darker
(harder) growth ring. And once I got the hang of getting the piece in
and moving smoothly, I didn't have any trouble at all. If you let the
wood sit in one spot, it *will* burn. I would lick my fingertips to
get a good grip on the wood, until I was devoid of saliva. Then I put
on some rubber gloves. Much better, the latter.

As you'll notice from the pictures, the chamfer I was making was quite
small - roughly 1/4" across the flat. And this in a relatively soft
wood. Today I ran some cherry, oak and maple and the results were
somewhat less heartening. I was able to make clean passes the
majority of the time, but there were enough instances of burning to
make me really not want to do it in one pass. What I ended up doing
was taking the bulk of it in the first pass, then bumping the jig
forward a smidgen and cleaning it up with a second run through.
Technique was vital, even on the second pass. Cleaning the belt with
crepe helped. An oscillating edge sander might help even more.

At the end of the day, using a sander for chamfers isn't a panacea,
but it's definitely a very nice trick to have in my quiver.

JP

Email me at mwskaneateles at adelphia dot net if you'd like the pics.
I don't ever check the jaypique addy anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:54:24 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

.... Maybe this weekend I'll get set up with a real
newsreader so I can post them to the binaries group. Now that I think
of it though, my last free feed didn't maintain any binaries groups.
(It was the (some) german server, I think.)

Don't think it your 'newsreader' so much as it is your news server.

FYI, teranews (http://teranews.com/) offers a free account whose
service includes at least some of the binary groups. ABPW is one of
those included. There are probably many other "free" news services,
but that's the only one I'm familiar with. I think there may be a
nominal one time fee for setting up the account, but there are no
additional costs. There is a daily limit on the number of bytes that
can be downloaded, but unless you are heavily into binary downloads,
that shouldn't cause a problem.

Somebody can probably come up with a zillion reasons not to use that
service, but I never had a problem with it. I began using it when my
ISP's news server started throwing random "authentication errors" that
the ISP doesn't seem to want to do anything about. Every time I called
Tech Support about it, I had a hard time finding anyone who would even
admit to knowing what a "news server" was.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml