Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Washingmachine just stopped!

My washing machine was filling up as usual but after about 10 seconds
it just STOPPED.
Will not do anything. At first I tought the wall outlet fuse blew. No
such luck. My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore. Any Ideas out
there?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Just tell her to put the coffee down and get back to work.
JR

wrote:

My washing machine was filling up as usual but after about 10 seconds
it just STOPPED.

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ok, I have to say it.
Either the washer is broken which is all we can determine from the
large amount of torubleshooting information provided, or the ac outlet
that the washer is plugged into has no ac power, or the user of the
washer has no idea and the unit needs plugged into the wall and turned
on.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

If it is a top loader, there are two safety switches that tell the machine
if the lid is closed. My mother has a Whirlpool that also would not do
anything. Open up the top, find the schematic, get your voltmeter and start
testing. If it is the switch, it is a cheap fix (less than $10) if it is the
timer could be much higher.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My washing machine was filling up as usual but after about 10 seconds
it just STOPPED.
Will not do anything. At first I tought the wall outlet fuse blew. No
such luck. My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore. Any Ideas out
there?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

wrote in message
ups.com...

My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore.

I may be missing something here, but I don't consider a washing machine
failing after 7 years to be any big surprise. Indeed, if it's gone that long
without failing it's done better than most washers I've encountered.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Dave D wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore.

I may be missing something here, but I don't consider a washing machine
failing after 7 years to be any big surprise. Indeed, if it's gone that long
without failing it's done better than most washers I've encountered.

Dave

7 years? That's not very long really, I've worked on plenty of washers
that were 20-30 years old. Some of the new stuff is built pretty cheap
but IMO any washing machine that doesn't last at least 10 years is
garbage, and 10 years is pushing it, 15-20 is more reasonable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Dave D wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore.

I may be missing something here, but I don't consider a washing machine
failing after 7 years to be any big surprise. Indeed, if it's gone that
long without failing it's done better than most washers I've encountered.

Dave

7 years? That's not very long really, I've worked on plenty of washers
that were 20-30 years old. Some of the new stuff is built pretty cheap but
IMO any washing machine that doesn't last at least 10 years is garbage,
and 10 years is pushing it, 15-20 is more reasonable.

We appear to be talking at cross-purposes here. I didn't say anything about
terminal failure, I was referring to the OP's surprise that his washer needs
servicing after 7 years.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Dave D" writes:

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Dave D wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore.

I may be missing something here, but I don't consider a washing machine
failing after 7 years to be any big surprise. Indeed, if it's gone that
long without failing it's done better than most washers I've encountered.

Dave

7 years? That's not very long really, I've worked on plenty of washers
that were 20-30 years old. Some of the new stuff is built pretty cheap but
IMO any washing machine that doesn't last at least 10 years is garbage,
and 10 years is pushing it, 15-20 is more reasonable.

We appear to be talking at cross-purposes here. I didn't say anything about
terminal failure, I was referring to the OP's surprise that his washer needs
servicing after 7 years.

Our Maytag is going on 35 years now and the only repairs have been to
remove a pin from the drain pump and to repair the timer motor gear.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spudnuty

Michael Ware wrote:
If it is a top loader, there are two safety switches that tell the machine
if the lid is closed. My mother has a Whirlpool that also would not do
anything. Open up the top, find the schematic, get your voltmeter and start
testing. If it is the switch, it is a cheap fix (less than $10) if it is the
timer could be much higher.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My washing machine was filling up as usual but after about 10 seconds
it just STOPPED.
Will not do anything. At first I tought the wall outlet fuse blew. No
such luck. My washer is dead. Only 7 years old. Kenmore. Any Ideas out
there?

In my experience the most common problems are the timer, fill level
switch and associated tubes and sucn and the lid switch(s). As Michael
said check that out first. I ran ours for almost 3 months with a clip
lead shorting out the switch (landlord was too cheap to spring for the
switch). Finally I just went and bought the thing and took it off the
rent. If you do that be careful as the unit will spin with the lid
open.
Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Our Maytag is going on 35 years now and the only repairs have been to
remove a pin from the drain pump and to repair the timer motor gear.

That's pretty impressive!

Dave.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Dave D" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Our Maytag is going on 35 years now and the only repairs have been to
remove a pin from the drain pump and to repair the timer motor gear.

That's pretty impressive!

Yep, they built them well back then. The Maytag repair person probably was
very lonely. He/she, of course, never saw it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The "USER" is not a moron. The washer is plugged into a working outlet
and it was turned on.
I don't see the purpose of your answer. I thought this was a HELP forum
not a platform for unwarranted insults!!!
The washer is not broken.I since found out it works for cold water wash
only.
And all the trouble shooting ideas were not really helpful. Not a top
loader. The on light is on.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

WHAT???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ok, then maybe you can help.
I have this XTZ device that quit working a few seconds after I tried to
start it last time I used it.
I checked the circuit breaker in the box and it was not tripped.
The XTZ is only 10 year old when it failed.
What could the problem be?

Substitute any device for XTZ.

The point was, if you want some help, at least post some real
troubleshooting information.
No one here has a crystal ball and can see what is going on with
someone elses device over the web.

Try this request for help then:

I have this XTC device which quit working last time I tried to use it.
It is a side load XTC.
Pulling the timer knob out which would normally start it and I hear a
click noise inside the unit like a relay.
Leaving the unit turned on the timer moves ok, but the XTC never
activates.
I know there is AC power as a light was plugged into the same outlet.
I tried all modes of operation an none of them worked. or I tried all
modes of operation and only the one that did ABC worked.

As you probably found out, given the lack of information resulted in
all troubleshooting ideas not being helpful.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave D" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Our Maytag is going on 35 years now and the only repairs have been to
remove a pin from the drain pump and to repair the timer motor gear.

That's pretty impressive!

Yep, they built them well back then. The Maytag repair person probably
was
very lonely. He/she, of course, never saw it.

I junked a 35-ish year old Sony Trinitron last March when clearing out a
dead relative's house, IIRC it was the first ever Trinitron model. It still
worked well, strong CRT and decent picture, all it needed was the pots
servicing as they were a bit scratchy. It ended up at the tip because no-one
wanted it. It wasn't easy throwing it on the scrapheap- I kept wondering if
it was a collector's item, but we simply didn't have the time to find out.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

We appear to be talking at cross-purposes here. I didn't say anything about
terminal failure, I was referring to the OP's surprise that his washer needs
servicing after 7 years.

Dave

Ah, misunderstanding then, yeah 7 years is not too unusual for there to
be some problem, particularly with the increased complexity of the
modern machines.

I've gotta say though, sometimes that complexity is worth it. After
picking up a dead front loader and repairing the motor board that
machine is incredible, the clothes come out noticeably cleaner, less
detergent is required, and it's so quiet. I can put up with fancy
electronics breaking once in a while for that, but I wouldn't pay what
they retail for.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

I junked a 35-ish year old Sony Trinitron last March when clearing out a
dead relative's house, IIRC it was the first ever Trinitron model. It still
worked well, strong CRT and decent picture, all it needed was the pots
servicing as they were a bit scratchy. It ended up at the tip because no-one
wanted it. It wasn't easy throwing it on the scrapheap- I kept wondering if
it was a collector's item, but we simply didn't have the time to find out.

Dave

I saw a shop selling one of these for $150 a couple years ago, no idea
if it ever sold or not. Real nice sets though, no way I could bring
myself to junk one, hard to find a home for that sort of thing sometimes
though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What I found out that there is always one opinionated, hostile,
critical, unhelpful person in every group. Thank you

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank You.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

TOILETS HAVE TANKS? NO WAY!!! You must be pulling my leg!!
Maybe I can do my laundry in it!!
The next time one of my appliances stops working I'll be shure to check
the toilet. I will flush 2 times to make shure the water is running.
What if the water is blue?
Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock

**** you punk, you asked for advice, and I'm a giving it to you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

LOL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

LOL!!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

wrote in message
oups.com...
LOL!!!!

Here's a tip-

If you don't quote the text you are replying to, no one will have the
remotest clue what the hell it is you're talking about. Two posts which say
nothing but 'LOL!' make no sense without a reference.

Dave