Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HELP! need to make threaded piano legs

Hello all,

I have just received an 1840's French Pleyel piano which has screw-in
legs.

the problem is that the seller denied any problems with the piano, but
two of the three legs have stripped screws!

the legs have male screws are about two inches in diameter, and they
fit into a corresponding female under the piano.

I have other pianos like this and they work fine as long as the screw
is tight, but a loose screw puts stress on the joint, and I am afraid
the legs will crack off.

what kind of tool needs to be used to make new screws? what is it
called?

what kind of workshop would be used to making such a thing?

any help will be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 10, 7:13 pm, alfred wrote:
Hello all,

I have just received an 1840's French Pleyel piano which has screw-in
legs.

the problem is that the seller denied any problems with the piano, but
two of the three legs have stripped screws!

the legs have male screws are about two inches in diameter, and they
fit into a corresponding female under the piano.

I have other pianos like this and they work fine as long as the screw
is tight, but a loose screw puts stress on the joint, and I am afraid
the legs will crack off.

what kind of tool needs to be used to make new screws? what is it
called?

what kind of workshop would be used to making such a thing?

any help will be appreciated.

1840s, they might have been hand cut. Try a knife and a file.
Lay out the thread by spiraling tape around the leg at the
desired pitch. Really not so much work considering you're
only threading two legs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

alfred wrote:
Hello all,

I have just received an 1840's French Pleyel piano which has screw-in
legs.

the problem is that the seller denied any problems with the piano, but
two of the three legs have stripped screws!

the legs have male screws are about two inches in diameter, and they
fit into a corresponding female under the piano.

I have other pianos like this and they work fine as long as the screw
is tight, but a loose screw puts stress on the joint, and I am afraid
the legs will crack off.

what kind of tool needs to be used to make new screws? what is it
called?

what kind of workshop would be used to making such a thing?

any help will be appreciated.

My guess is that the threads were "chased" using a lathe. See Fred
Holder's article on thread chasing at:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/p.../MS-THRDCH.pdf

Fred is a regular contributor of the "rec.crafts.woodturning" news group.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

piano bench legs Lee Woodworking 4 September 3rd 06 01:33 AM
Need recommendations for an inexpensive lathe to make metric threaded stuff Norm Dresner Metalworking 15 December 31st 05 09:53 PM
Looking for somebody in the UK to make an internal threaded brass 45mm dia tube Peter Metalworking 4 May 13th 05 09:00 PM
Where to Find/Make Adjustable Table Legs? Jay Chan Woodworking 9 August 30th 04 02:42 AM
Old Piano. wanderer UK diy 42 August 24th 04 10:38 PM