Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Used Book Stores

Had to go to the big city today, so decided to combine that with a
stop at my favorite used book store. Good thing, because otherwise the
day would have been a total bummer.

Got three woodworking related books, in as new condition.
American Folk toys, got some neat toys, some I mad when I was a kid, and
some I've never ran across before.
A Museum Of Early American Tools, by Eric Sloane. Very neat. There are
tools I actually used when I was a kid, now they'd be called antiques,
and probably be considered too valuable to use. Back then they were
just old tools, that did the job. Then there are other tools I've seen,
but ver used myself. And some I've never seen, or heard of. Very neat.
I've got at least one other of his books.
Then got a copy of Northwoods Furniture. Primarily got this one because
it has plans for a very nice bent wood rocker. Got plans for a tree
limb rocker too, but you'd never catch me making one of those.

The Northwoods Furniture book lists at $25. I paid a total of $17+
for these three, plus some 'reading' books. So, all in all, not too bad
a day.

The best thing about a good used book store is you can find way out
of print books, for very low prices. And they're usually a lot more
interesting and informative then most of the new books out now.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 7, 2:20 pm, (J T) wrote:

The best thing about a good used book store is you can find way out
of print books, for very low prices. And they're usually a lot more
interesting and informative then most of the new books out now.

I've used abebooks in the past when I had a specific need the local
used books store couldn't fill. It allows used book stores to sell
books through a common interface.

Great tool for finding older used technical books for a few bucks.
(Not affiliated, just managed to find great time fillers for cheap and
help small businesses at the same time)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:19:01 +0000, yugami wrote:

I've used abebooks in the past when I had a specific need the local
used books store couldn't fill. It allows used book stores to sell
books through a common interface.

I used them a lot until they changed the website and wanted me to
"register" my personal info. Now I peruse their listings and email or call
the originating store directly. Maybe not the ethical thing to do, but
they brought it on themselves.

Ode to Hardware Stores [email protected] Woodworking 30 March 2nd 07 10:44 PM
Tool Stores James Woodturning 13 June 19th 06 06:55 PM
Distribution through DIY stores MarkSch UK diy 3 February 16th 06 08:46 AM
looking for stores steve Woodworking 1 December 12th 04 07:32 PM
singing... where are all the DIY stores gone... Toby UK diy 10 July 16th 03 01:06 PM