Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strength of different hardwoods

I'm considering making a bed based on these plans. (small aesthetic/
practicle tweaks like lowering the footboard to just over the bottom
of the mattress so I don't kick it, I'm tall)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...g/1273341.html

However I don't want to use Mahogany, I was thinking of Cherry
perhaps.

Now I had made a bed previously, and didn't base it on any plans. The
results ended in the bed breaking as I didn't use thick enough
material. (It was also too tall and my wife had to hop to get in the
bed, she's short)

Now I'm worried that the dimensions may have been chosen based on the
strength of the wood, and perhaps other woods are not as strong. I
would prefer to keep this one from breaking

Are their any good guidelines for this?

Hardwoods under Carpet LB217 Home Repair 7 November 29th 06 03:19 PM
Tenon Strength / Rail strength- Max? [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 21st 06 05:21 PM
Finish on Hardwoods Steve Home Repair 2 July 26th 05 09:21 PM
Keeping hardwoods looking new DennisZerillo Home Repair 12 May 18th 05 11:37 AM
staining hardwoods Mark Woodworking 3 December 29th 04 01:23 PM