Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What cheap wood will look good stained dark?

The wood furniture in our living room is all dark. A very old mahogany
desk, a very old cherry table, and a dark piano of unknown wood. (I am going
to guess mahogany with a tinted laquer) Two years ago I made a mahogany
coffee table and stained it to match the desk.

Now my wife wants a couch; wood frame with cushions. We talked about the
wood. Apparently grain means nothing to her; she just want it about as dark
as the mahogany pieces.

There doesn't seem to be any point to spending money on more mahogany if she
can't tell the difference. I though maybe beech because it is cheap. Will
I have any problem getting it dark, or does it spotch like maple? Maybe
birch? A bit more expensive, but more interesting grain. Whatcha think?